THE LIFE YOU SAVE....MAY BE YOUR OWN

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by old semperfi, Feb 19, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    A FEW YEARS BACK I WAS AT THE RANGE SHOOTING ONE OF MY TACTICAL RIFLES.WHEN I GET IN THE ZONE I AM PRETTY OBLIVIOUS TO MY SURROUNDINGS.....THERE IS ONLY THE TARGET AND ME.......WHY I DONT KNOW BUT I GLANCED AT THE GUY NEXT TO MY SHOOTING BENCH AND NOTICED HIM GRIPPING AND CHAMBERING ANOTHER ROUND IN HIS 98 MAUSER,I LOOKED DOWN AND NOTICED 15-20 LIVE ROUNDS ON THE GROUND.HE THEN ASKED ME IF I KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT GUNS AND WOULD I MIND LOOKING AT HIS...........WELLLLLLLLLLL THERE WAS SO MUCH COSMOLINE AND DIRT IN THE BARREL YOU COULD BARLEY SEE DAYLIGHT,THE FIRING PIN COULD NOT GO FOREWARD WITH ENOUGH IMPACT TO DETONATE BECAUSE OF THE SLUDGE.........THANK GOD......I THEN TOLD HIM THE PROBLEM AND ITS REMEDY AND SAID,AND I QUOTE(HE WAS VERY LUCKY GOD LOVES CHILDREN AND IDIOTS)AND HE WAS NO KID.THE LESSON IS THIS...KEEP AN EYE ON OTHERS AROUND YOU....THE BODY PARTS YOU SAVE MY BE YOUR OWN.........................OLD SEMPERFI
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree. The recent boom in gun sales is putting a lot of ignorant people onto ranges with no clue what they are doing.
  3. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I agree. The recent boom in gun sales is putting a lot of ignorant people onto ranges with no clue what they are doing.

Maybe so, but let's keep an eye on them and help them with a smile and good advise with no negative comments. If we want to keep our guns we need new shooters that will vote pro gun and we need young people to get actively involved in shooting sports if we want future generations to have the tools to keep democracy.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

i concur.
  5. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

This summer while I was at the range a young man maybe 22-26 had asked a few questions on how it all worked, when to go down range and such. He was very polite. He pretty much got shoo'd off a couple of times and when he did stop and set up you could tell he was lost and no one cared. I finally went down to him and helped him zero his rifle at 50 yards so that he then could move back to 100 yard range where I was at.
    It took me 30 seconds or less to explain the range rules and etiquette. He was very respectful and smiled all the time.
    Anyway, I gave him some pointers on shooting, and kept an eye on him to make sure he was being safe and he was picking it up quickly. At the end, I helped him clean his rifle properly (he was going to clean from the muzzle). When I was about to drive away, he said he was a manager at a pizza place and to stop by any time and he'd cover it.
    I think the guy felt so out of place. Learning a new skill, using new equipment, in a place with rules he didn't understand. The worst think that I saw that day was the way we treated a fellow shooter, a fellow human.
    I'll admit, I didn't run right over to him due in part that the range is my personal time. He also didn't look like someone I wanted to be around (I prejudged him). However, it was real obvious real quick that he seemed like a good guy inside, he smiled a lot, and was wanting to learn.

Now, I go to eat pizza at his resteraunt every few weeks (on my tab after the first time) and although we probably won't be "friends" since that is a term I use sparingly, he is a good guy. I just wish the others there that week could have seen it.

Sorry, end of off topic...
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

There is an old incident from the hippie days about a young couple going to church for the very first time. They were the long-hair and love bead friends of Jesus driving a micro-bus type, and they walked in to a straight-laced Baptist church. A deacon met them at the door, and told them to go home, take a bath, get a haircut, and return wearing decent clothes and they would be seated.

They left and never came back.

Congratulations, Bambihunter & Agentwil.
    You have it EXACTLY right.
    When someone comes into our area of interest that is different than we are, we need to take special pains to welcome them - to bring them in to the fold, so to speak.

As the Ridler said to Two Face in Batman, "If we kill him, he won't learn nothin!"

We all need to take special pains that these folks LEARN, and not just be driven away.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010