The Little Brown Bag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Dec 1, 2006.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

It is that time of the year when I start to remember what it was like when I was a Very young child.
    Christmas was a time to visit with Friends and Family. A time to go hunting with Uncles and Cousins. A time when we went to church for dinners in the middle of the week. Like all kids we wanted new toys and ask for way more than our parents could afford.
    The one thing that still to this day stands out in my mind is the little Brown Bag, what most of us would call a lunch bag. it always had an apple, an orange and two home made cookies in it. The little brown bag was always there every Christmas morning! I can't remember when it disappeared from my life but it is gone and will not be back.
    DO you have something from your earlier years you remember?
    Ron
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Mixed nuts. Santa would put a big handful of mixed nuts, along with apples and oranges, in our stockings. Hazelnuts, filberts, Brazil nuts, etc. Those Brazil nuts were a pain to open, but they sure were good!
  3. buffalo jump

buffalo jump New Member

Those brasil nuts were called "N***** Toes" back then. I still call them that.:) :) :) :)
  4. Always a stocking filled with candy, nuts, fruit and other goodies was set out for each member of the family. I remember the room always smelled like bananas and apples on Christmas morning, spiced with the smell of pine from the Christmas tree. :D
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Just for the sake of being politically incorrect?!!! :D

mike
    gn
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Our stockings always had a naval orange, three walnuts and some butterscotch hard candy in the toes. The orange was always eaten at the breakfast table before Mother served the rest of the food.

Our rule was that we opened whatever was in the stocking on the fireplace before breakfast. The tree gifts came only after breakfast and the kitchen having been cleaned up by all.

We always had a large wooden bowl of mixed nuts on the coffee table from Thanksgiving Day until after New Years Day. In addition to the walnuts, my favorite along with pecans, there were ****** toes up in New England. I didn't learn they were Brazil nuts until I went to college! The mixture also included almonds that were coveted by Mother and Dad. If you didn't dig early after the bowl appeared, they quickly disappeared !!!!!
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Same here, never heard of a Brazilnut until I'd already left home.
  8. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

I remeber always waking up at like 7:00 am running downstairs just to make sure Santa had come by, looked at all the presents, then back upstairs to wake up my older brother (by 2 years) then we'd go wake up our parents who just got to sleep a couple hours prior...... the good 'ol days...
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

My favorite memorys is sitting around Christmas Eve reading the Cajun Night before Christmas
  10. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:) I have 4 brothers & we always used to play "I Spy" with the ornaments on the Christmas Tree. Ah... The Good Old Days :)
  11. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

THE GOOD OLD DAYS :eek: :confused: :D
    Not what I would call them I also remember going to the out house in the winter, chopping wood everyday after school, walking to and from school, cutting the grass with a motor-less lawn cutter call a "sliver streak" , working in the garden so as to be sure we had something to eat, fishing & hunting wasn't for fun or trophies, no air condition or central heat, and that is to just name a few. Heck the day we got the kitchen sink inside the house was about the greatest thing I had seen at the age of seven:eek: and when Dad built the indoor bath room I thought we was just rich as hell ;)
    GOOD OLD DAYS yep they where different and I miss lots of of things but not all of them :D :D :D :D
  12. buffalo jump

buffalo jump New Member

Ron, I still have one of them push mowers. If you want to get the memory fresh in your mind you can come over and I'll let you push it around the yard a couple of times.....:D :D :D :rolleyes:
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Buffalo Jump,

I've got an old Craftsman pusher just like the one my dad nhad back in the 50's.

Good coversation piece but don't get pushed much anymore.