The Mac Computer thing again...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Feb 2, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I am thinking about buying this:

Apple® - Mac Pro 2.8GHz
    Model: MA970LL/A

I guess its a quad core computer...

Any thoughts on this, anyone? Is this a good choice or is there a Mac with less goodies that would be worth a look? This is the only one that Best Buy sells or at least online anyways.

One thing is for sure.... No more Microsoft products for me.

Opinions Please.

mike
    gn
  2. lb969

lb969 New Member

No more Microsoft related products either. No games, few software choices, no options for support besides Apple.

Welcome to the new monopoly.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

glocknut:

Your choice is the pretty much the same as mine for the basic system but I will need a display card that will support two LCD monitors. Which one that is I don't know at this point.

Try the below link for a good prices on MAC's and any options:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/new_promo~dp~7371957~family~macpro~promo~4.asp

I am looking to replace my older MAC desktop box this year so I too have been studying what is available. All the MAC desktop units are dual quad processor except for one model. While it seems prudent, money wise, to buy no more than you need, I have found that the last two MAC's I bought suffered early retirement due to obsolescence. Part of the probem was I bought "last years" model both times and if I had bought the current model I might have gotten a few more years out of them.

My current MAC is now at the point where it will not take the latest version of OS X so I have to operate on retired versions of the operating system. More and more of the software application have become incompatible with it (the next version of TurboTax probably will not run on my computer). My version of Safari is the latest version that will run on my machine and it has problems with several sites I regularly visit (FireFox will and works fine for now).

In my previous MAC I attempted to update the box but ran into all kinds of compatibilty problems and only a Computer tech could arrange the correct modules of the operating system for problem free operations. This was not a good situation! Such "tuning" finally made the computer unusable.

There is also the problem that my current MAC uses Motorola processors which are now obsolete and the very next OS update (Eleven??) will not be for the Motorola boxes. With both this MAC, and my last one, I have run into incompatibility problems with new software and Internet access so this new MAC will be the latest and greatest, regardless of the cost differential (single verses dual quad processors). I will limit the other options to reasonableness (like speed, ram, display processors, and hard drive choices) as none of these in my current machine has limited my usages.

I am focusing in on the model in the link but with one of the Windows emulator programs pre-installed. I don't know which one (seperate window version or seperate boot version ???) or just go with the embeded one in the operating system that still needs you to buy a PC operating system and install it (???).

I will buy a new MAC after I do my taxes in the coming month or so. I don't need to paint myself into a corner with a new machine and trying to get my taxes out on time and that is the reason for the wait. The transfer of data from one machine to another is always a problem of some sort and I am not looking forward to it but it is necessary at this point in time. I may just install the disk out of my current computer into the new one but then there is the applications installs...What a pain, but it has to be done.

LDBennett
  4. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I believe your choice is a good one. Also, depending on where you buy your machine, often they will transfer what info. you want from your old MAC to your new one. If they don't, just take a pen-drive (with a lot of memory) and download what programs or items you want on your new MAC yourself. I have found that MACs are user friendly and can load programs that can read PC info. as easily. Those programs used to come pre-loaded on a MAC and now you have to buy the program to do it! Good luck!
  5. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yeah, the newer jump drives are dirt cheap. You can get an 8 gig one for under $30.

I wouldn't buy from Best Buy. I'd buy from MacMall, or an Apple store, or from Apple directly.

Get the Apple Care package too. It's worth it, if you ever have it go down.
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Gn,

What a decission you have to make here. I have always been one of those guys who like to get as much bang for the buck as i can. When I sit down I like to have everthing there to make it as pleasurable as possibe. You have to get your priorities straight. For just a tad bit more money I think you could really get something that you will really enjoy. After all it's only money and our choices speak volums about who we really are.

That's why I think the mac alone is just not good enough. I would get the mac and cheese.:D:D:D:D

Your friend

John
  7. Mike, didn't Macintosh just come out with a new model, the Aroni? Most people just call it the Mac Aroni. I hear its well "pasta" PC in terms of performance. ::::::ducking:::::: :D;):p
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

cycloneman:

If I am not a gamer then I don't need a super fast video card. I may need one that will support two LCD drives, though. If I don't do huge math problems or 3D rendering, the fastest processors are not really that necessary. If I have been working within 120GB of hard drive I think 350 GB plus an additional 40GB from my current MAC should be enough except I may add another auxillarly 350 GB drive to shadow backup the main drive...later.... since the latest version of OS X allows that good feature. I do digital photography easily within the 1 GB of ram, so 2 GB of ram ought to do it, as well. I have both a CD drive and an auxillary DVD drive now so the SuperDrive ougth to do it if I connect up my FireWire DVD drive as well.

My point? My grandma doesn't need a Ferrari or a Corvette to go to the store to pick up groceries once a week and I don't need an over powered. huge capacity MAC either. But I do need the latest dual quad processor box so that the MAC will stay current longer. Changing out peripherals or adding them can be done at any time. Changing the processors is much harder and not always successful. So I say buy what you need and what you forecast you might need in the future, not the ultimate super fast box that runs at 10% capacity all the time.

LDBennett
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Go Linux!!!:D The penguin owns me
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

The server I want to build for home use will have linux on it.

Macs are great systems and there are games and stuff for them. I know because tech is my #1 and #2 fields.
  11. islenos

islenos New Member

My office is 100% Mac
    Since my job description includes "all other duties my boss doesn't want to bother with" ......
    I therefor take care of an assortment of desktops, mini's, laptops, servers and raids, all of which is running 10.5, Microsoft Office 2008, Adobe Creative Suites and various other programs. If I have one problem in a one month period, I would think it to be a bad month. I have machines that I've put out to pasture that are ten years old that still fire up and run like new (on 10.4 that is) We got rid of them do to lack of space.

All our Mac for the past five years or so have come with dual ports for monitors ( I kind of figured it was standard) We run dual 20+ inch flat screens. Ram is a big concern so all boxes have at least 2gb. Hard drives are moot since we add the RAID (don't know how we lived without it) We have Power PC's and Intels from 1.4 to 2.8 Ghz

I love my Macs
  12. cec

cec New Member

Breakout and Super Breakout. Mac gaming 09 aka PC gaming 1990 :)

All kidding aside, it is all about what you use it for. Mac, PC, Linux based, all do pretty much the same thing. It is like buying a firearm, there is no one size fits all solution.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I was thinking about having someone partition the drive so i could have Windows Xp on there for my games...which are few in number. The Sims, Sim City, Galactic Civilizations, and the other newer Gal Civ, i can't think of the name though.
    For serious gaming i was thinking about a PS3 for that...

mike
    gn
  14. durk

durk New Member

I'm thinking about one of those for myself.