The Media's Coverage of Guns

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Terry_P, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

They must have been too focused on what Obama had for breakfast.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jan/05/the-forgotten-virtue-of-firearms/?feat=home_editorials

EDITORIAL: The forgotten virtue of firearms

During Christmas week, a registered sex offender with a conviction for attempted murder used a gun to take three hostages at a Wytheville, Va., post office. Not too surprisingly, the national media gave the crime extensive news coverage. Such sensationalism leaves a distorted image about what happens with guns every day in the United States. When guns work to stop crime, there's not nearly as much drama to sensationalize and, as a result, that much less coverage.

In Oklahoma City the previous week, an armed citizen singlehandedly stopped an attack that surely would have resulted in a multiple-victim public shooting. The media gave the event scant attention. The scene went down when a Marine, who was on leave and came home for the holidays, started firing in an apartment parking lot. Before anyone was harmed, another man aimed his permitted concealed handgun at the attacker and ordered him to put down his weapon. The shooter dropped his gun and ran into his father's apartment, barricading himself in. Three-and-a-half hours later, the man surrendered to the police.

A Marine with a gun who wanted to cause harm would surely be able to maim or kill a lot of people. Those dead bodies would have attracted exhaustive coverage. Of course, corpses are newsworthy in our sensational culture, but when an armed citizen stops an attack, the heroism rates barely a blip on the national radar screen. In this case, a search found just one television news story on the incident, and it left out the identity of the man who saved the day. In our confused times, murderers, it seems, are more interesting than heroes.

An important detail that is neglected in news coverage is that all the multiple-victim public shootings in America - crimes in which more than three people were killed - happened where legal concealed handguns are banned. The Wytheville post office is such a gun-free zone, not to mention that the felon who committed the crime was banned from possessing a firearm anywhere. The Oklahoma City attack was stopped because the man who stopped it could carry a concealed handgun.

Often what's true and what makes good TV are two different things. But either way, news standards don't give people any idea about the costs and benefits of people owning guns. Police are extremely important in stopping crimes, but police understand that they almost always arrive on the scene after a crime has occurred. Heroic actions of citizens who stop attacks deserve a lot more attention.
  2. ARB

ARB New Member

It's a sad reality that the media primarily airs negativity. I can hardly watch the news because of this. Have you ever noticed how they interview the distraught family members of the recently deceased wackjob that was involved in an armed home invasion, but not the hero that took this monster off the street? You think this person may be having a hard time taking a life even though it was to protect his/her family? You think it might instill a little closure for them to receive a little praise from the community? I do.
    I'd bet that most of the fools reporting on firearms have never even handled one. Never, gone plinking with a mother or father. Never, spent a day out in the forest hoping to bring home fresh meat for their family. You think a rape whistle is going to stop a meth-head from taking you down? Nope.:(
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Attached Files:

4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The blue one isn't an SUV which are classified as WMD's.
  5. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Terry that article NAILED it for sure. Thanks for reposting it here.

Lurpy, your chart doesn't show the one and only shotgun, you know, the 8ga.
  6. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Something I've been noticing, lately. I may be wrong, or maybe it just stands out more to me, but it seems to me that a lot, if not most, of these type of stories seem to mention a "Marine" as the bad guy. Has anybody else noticed this?
    I do understand what you're saying, though. Fair and balanced? Yeah, right!:rolleyes: Just another bit of ammunition for the anti-gunners to use to get rid of our second amendment rights.
  7. Sandman

Sandman New Member

There has been a long running campaign by the left and their mainstream media to demonize guns. And unfortunately it is working. Guns are increasingly being considered evil rather than the inanimate objects that they are. Anyone who has guns is considered evil unless they can prove otherwise. It is automatically assumed that if you have a gun, you must be planning on doing something bad with it, and you need to be watched closely until you finally slip up and commit a crime.

Not sure how we can combat this other than defending ourselves in the court of public opinion at every opportunity. Unfortunately, they have a bigger podium than we do.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

That is so funny that you posted that. I was just looking for that exact graphic this morning to show some co workers. There was a shooting (and its still a standoff) at a company in St Louis. 3 people have been shot. No were in the local media has they said what he has and the police don't even know what he has but one local station keeps saying the man was armed with a AK47. Well how do you know that when no one else knows what he has. They use the term AK47 so loosely. As far as we know its a French Mas but we all know, French Mas-AK47, same thing.:rolleyes:
    I could tell you now if someone in that company had there CCW, this would have ended 2 hrs ago and the local media would have said nothing about it.
  9. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Or they would have mentioned that it was ended, but nothing about how.
  10. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I've said it over and over... the vast majority of the population of the U.S. (and the world really) has no other exposure to firearms apart from movies and the news. This means that they see guns only being used by the "bad guys" and only being used to assault people.

It's up to us to be upright citizens and be advocates of the Second Amendment. We can show friends and family that "normal" sane people use firearms for sporting and defense purposes and that this is good and correct.

You're right, the other side has a much larger podium, but it shows day after day how hollow it is.