The Men Who Built America

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cpttango30, Dec 4, 2012.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

2. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Reruns have been on for a few months now. I would not screw with some of the. Especially that guy that Carniegie hired.
  3. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Yes, watched the whole series as it aired. Pretty informative and interesting to watch. However, you have to realize it's being told through the liberal lens of NBC (History channel is NBC) Yes, these guys played hardball. They were driven men who did business for keeps. NBC makes them out to be evil monsters. The USA was a third world country when these guys came along and because of them we became a superpower. We owe much of what we have to those kings of industry.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I didn't see this slant so far.
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

The union-busting makes them look pretty evil. :rolleyes: But it was necessary at the time.

However, stop and consider what this country might look like today if we had not had men willing to do whatever it took to push the railroad to the Pacific, build steel mills that produced the steel for the skyscrapers in the cities, and to get oil out of the ground and into a useful formulation for us all to use.

Yes it was a different time, with different people, and generally a different outlook on life. That was then, this is now. All businessmen are not evil. That's just the impression the current administration is putting forth.
  6. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

That's what it took to be a millionare back then.
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We DVR'd the whole series, then watched them back-to-back.

Started out REALLY good, then took a bow to the liberal vilification of anything free-market, and in the end veered back to center again as they entered old age and settled into serious philanthropic activity.

This country would be nothing without men like these.

And if the government keeps penalizing industry, we may well become nothing without them once more.

It is just about time for John Galt to stop the motor of the world.
  8. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Africa
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

First I did not see it -but- the "robber barons" back then were way richer and more ruthless than the big shots of today....and that's a fact.

Build America? Ever work in basic steel where it's made? That's where I got my start, hot, dirty and very dangerous but it paid pretty good.

I also worked in a secondary finishing mill making flat, angle and shapes from slabs and billets.

Then a plant making railroad tank cars plus repair shops that fixed them including the waste treatment plant.

All now are shut down BTW. Steel largely went overseas, tanks were made in brutal low wage non-union shops.

Who really built America? How about "The Greatest Generation". ;)
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I totally agree. Everything the World War 2 guys did to make this the greatest country the world has ever seen is being sold off or given away by our corrupt government.