The Merwin Hulbert Co. Junior 1880 22 R.F.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TonyBierman, Nov 4, 2009.

1. TonyBierman

TonyBierman New Member

Hi Experts,

I found this junior .22 rifle about 30 years ago. It was hanging from the rafters of an old house's basement ceiling!

Here are six high resolution photos of the rifle

Inscribed on top of the gun's octagonal barrel is:

Made by the Hopkins & Allen Manfg. Co. Norwich Conn. U.S.A.
    The Merwin Hulbert Co. Junior 1880 22 R.F.

I'd like to determine an approximate value for insurance purposes. Any approximations?
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i can find these rifles in only one pricing guide, frayderman's guide to american antique firearms. flayderman only list them in three catagories; lever laction falling block rifles are listed at $750 to $350 in all calibers, schutzen rifles at $1750 to $750 and solid breech rifles at $550 to $250.

nobody list a junior model 1880. but i supect this is what is called a boys rifle and will not bring near the prices listed above. hopkins and allen was the manufacturer and merwin & hulbert was the retailer.

there is one book i know of that features these rifles; it is charles carder's book titled "falling blocks & other single shot rifles from hopkins and allen". it this book it shows a price list on page 30 that features a junior rifle at $4.75. i would suppect that a junior model would bring about $250 in 100% condition in todays economy.

when i triied to bring up your pictures i was told my browser was unsupported. i guess my operating system is just to old.

bill
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

An 1887 Merwin Hulbert catalog does not list a "Junior" but lists a "No. 1 Gallery and Squirrel Rifle, for rim fire ammunition only" with barrel lengths 24, 26, or 28 inches @ $13.50

The catalog illustration does not have the crescent buttplate your example has, and forend is slightly different, but otherwise appears the same.

Added: Photo of an MH Junior barrel on a recent auction shows a patent date of June 8, 1890 so the Junior marking must be later than the 1887 catalog's "No. 1".
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. TonyBierman

TonyBierman New Member

Bill, HRF,

Thanks for researching this.

The value seems to be lower than I'd expected, but no matter. It looks great on my wall! :)