The More Things Change...

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by AL MOUNT, Mar 17, 2007.

1. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Of generals and journalists

"It appears we have appointed our worst generals to
    command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to
    edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading
    newspapers that these journalists/geniuses plainly
    saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet
    failed to inform me until it was too late.
    Accordingly, I'm readily willing to yield my command
    to these obviously superior intellects, and I'll, in
    turn, do my best for the cause by writing editorials -
    after the fact."

Robert E. Lee in 1863.

[The more things change the more they remain the
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Unfortunately,

very, very,

TRUE !!!!!!
  3. It's interesting, isn't it, that even after the defeat at Gettysburg, the Army of Northern Virginia, under the command of General Lee, went on to give the Yankees hell for nearly another two years, losing at last only, as Lee later put it in his General Order No. 9, to "overwhelming numbers and resources." Remember also the media frenzy during the invasion of Iraq when, according to the media pundits, we had lost the war, then a couple of days later we had tanks rolling into Baghdad and Saddam was on the run! I also remember the media after the Tet Offensive of 1968, claiming "all is lost," when in fact the Viet Cong were virtually destroyed for their efforts, not to mention the Marines and Air Force at Khe Sanh which cost the NVA thousands of casualties for no gain. In short, the media are essentially propagandists for the enemies of this country, not the upholders of virtue and American ideals they claim to be. Anyone who listens to them, in my humble opinion, is a damn fool.