The most popular $200.00 scope

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by clamman, Nov 18, 2011.

1. clamman

clamman Member

I'm pretty much sold on a Burris 4.5-14X32 AO for my CZ 455, but a little concerned over the long eye relief.

I'd like to hear what are your favorite scopes?
  2. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I'm using a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 on my 10/22. It seems fine to me. I use a 3-9x40 Prostaff on my Savage Model 93 22mag and it's really fine - bright, holds zero, etc.
  3. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I just bought a Simmons 6.5x20x50 retail 249.00 on sale 109.00,,,I hear good and bad about Simmons but this particular model had over a 150 positive reviews Bought a used Redfield 3x9 off the Bay for 90.00 In new condition ,,and a Bushnell 3x9 for 39.00 New,,actually not a bad scope for the money but the strange thing about it is it only takes adjustments a little at a time ,,,I have it mounted on my Yugo SKS
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I just put a Mueller 8-32x44 on a CZ 452 American. I use it for bench shooting only and am well pleased with it. I put a Simmons 6.5-20x40 on another CZ and use it as a loaner when the grandkids come.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

clamman:

I have a lot!! of scopes on my various rifles including Leopold, Burris, and many other name brands. In recent years I watched the scope prices skyrocket. In earlier years the MSRP was rarely the asking price. 1/4 to 1/3 off was the norm. Today there are few such deals. So I put a limit on my scope budget for new scopes.

The few inexpensive scopes that I had all broke along the way so cheap scopes below $100 were eliminated from the choice. I typically use the higher power variable version like 6x to 18x or 4x to 16x. I set the limit to $200. In searching for this value I found the Bushnell Trophy series scopes. Bushnell makes several other series less expensive and more expensive but the Trophy seems to be the most scope for the least money and is within my budget. I have since bought several and all are excellent scopes. I recommend them.

I read here that some of the posters can see the optical difference between really expensive scopes and lesser ones. Well, their eyes must be much better than mine as I can not tell any difference in the images between my Burris and Leopolds, and my Bushnell Trophy's. So why pay the extra money if the Bushnell scope are durable enough and they sure seem to be?

Another aspect of scope ownership is factory service. I bought a Millet for use on our 50BMG gun that got broken the first time out. Millet is in some kind of partnership with Bushnell as Bushnell was the service station for the repair. To my amazement they sent me a brand new scope as a free replacement. They could have made the case that the scope was incorrectly mounted and that caused the gun to break it but they didn't do that.

LDBennett
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  7. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Go ahead and laugh, but the Centerpoint 4-16x from WalMart for about $80 is a pretty decent scope. I've also been pleased with a couple of BSA 3-12x airgun scopes - about the same price.
  8. clamman

clamman Member

Nobody has a desire for a AO scope?
  9. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

My latest scope, a Sightron Sii Big Sky has AO and personally after using this scope, I wouldn't have one without AO or buy another cheap scope.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

All the Bushnell Trophys I buy have Adjustable Objectives. In fact about 90% of all my scopes have AO no mater who makes them. Once you get above about 10X scopes you HAVE TO HAVE IT!

LDBennett
  11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I ordered a year back a BSA 30mm 6-24 power scope that side mounted objective ajustment and works down to 10 yards and only down side is to me is the mil-dot. A fine line rectical would be better. But it works very well and seems to stay on sale for 149.00
  12. clamman

clamman Member

Well I've made up my mind, and will be getting a Bushnell trophy XLT in 4-12X40AO. Dicks has them for $189. I checked it out and was nice and clear.

Thanks everybody.
  13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Over at Rimfire Central the Mueller APV seems to be the most popular scope over $100 for a .22 rifle. Nothing but high praises have been said about that scope. I think you can usually get them for about $129 or so.

Here's a link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119797/mueller-apv-rifle-scope-45-14x-40mm-adjustable-objective-apv-reticle-matte?cm_vc=S016ID618661

I a cheap bast**d, so I use a Simmons 3-9X32 .22 Mags. with A.O. on my .22's. They're around $65 and have given me great quality for years. :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  14. clamman

clamman Member

I thought about that one for a bit, but decided I didn't like the crosshairs. Thanks.
  15. left-tack

left-tack New Member

I mounted a Leapers AccuShot 8-32x56, sidewheel illuminated with 4" sunshade on a Savage Mark II BTVLSS. Only have 200 rounds of Blazer. 22 HV down the pipe and shooting a clover leaf with ten shots. Got the Leapers scope from Midway last December for $159. If you can live with Mildot you can't go wrong.
  16. langenc

langenc Member

Not $200... usually less than $100.

Good used Weaver fixed power K4 or K6 purchased on eBay. Please dont bid against me.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id have to vote Burris Fullfield 2
  18. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I had been looking hard at the Nikon 4-12x40 in that price range but I'd like to get the AO and for whatever reason Nikon doesn't seem to be big on that.
    Looking at that Vortex Crossfire now.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  19. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

20. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I have never had an issue with a Simmons scope