The movies have won

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpo, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I realized that, last night.

Disney channel. Beethoven's Fifth. Beethoven, the dog, alerts Freddy, the homeowner, that there is a burglar. Freddy comes downstairs carrying his trusty Louisville Slugger.

I watched that, thinking, "How dumb. If that was me, I'd have a pistol in my hand, not no damn ball bat."

So, as they continued the scene, I mentally took the bat out of Freddy's hand and put a pistol in it. So, Freddy steps outside. Now we have, in the middle of the night, at an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, a man standing in the yard in his boxer shorts and bathrobe, holding a pistol and looking around suspiciously.

Bad guy. That's what I saw in my mind. Bad guy. You can't find anyone more pro-gun than me, and that's what the image said. Because, in the movies, that's the only one that would do that. A bad guy, at his hide-out, afraid the cops were sneaking up on him.

I are depressed.

It's always a little strange seeing a gun in the background on old TV shows. Sheriff Andy Taylor had a Winchester 94 hanging on the wall of his bedroom. When Lucy and Ricky Ricardo bought the farmhouse in Connecticut, there was a rifle on the fireplace mantle. I'll see one, occasionally, in Leave it to Beaver, although the Cleavers don't seem to own any.

Don't ever see one in new shows, though. Yep. I are depressed.
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I think "randomly placed firearms" went out of movies in the late '50's except for
    Westerns.

My house has '50's decor!
  3. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Got to remember that we're talking about a kid's movie, mainly, and on the Disney Channel of all places. It's an extension of the idea that nobody ever really gets hurt in a kid's show.
    All the cartoons and such I can think of do basically the same thing. If there are guns, they shoot colored light rays instead of bullets.

Maybe I'm repeating the same thing you were saying, but only in more "mature" features do good guys carry.
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Yep a cross between the old west and a WWII decor :D:D and a touch of today tossed in here and there. :D:D
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Movie back in the 80s. I saw it on video in 91. The hand that rocks the cradle.

OB-GYN fondling his pregnant patients. Suicide. Retarded kid accused of sexually molesting a 1st grader. 1st grade boy beaten up by an adult (he was a bully, and deserved it, but still). Murder by dropping huge amounts of broken glass on the victim. Another murder (don't recall how, but it was strange), someone fell from the roof three stories and landed on a picket fence, getting speared to death. Husband hears a noise and goes downstairs armed with a tennis racket. Is ambushed by bad guy who is armed with a ball bat. I think the retarded boy gets murdered, too.

In the entire movie there is only one gun. 2 1/2" Model 19 that the OB-GYN uses to commit suicide after he is convicted of molesting his patients.

Much violence. Several murders. Self defense. But no guns, because "guns are bad. Ummm-kaaay?"
  6. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

You got it, Alpo.

I recently heard an interview with Mark Hamill - the voice of the Joker on a long running Batman animated series - where he makes an offhand comment that sheds quite a bit of light.

Basically, according to FCC Standards & Practices, no handguns in cartoons. However, the Joker used a tommy gun at some point. The difference is that it's highly "unlikely that a kid would have access to a tommy gun."
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Because all the Batman cartoons from the 90's to today are meant for 15 year olds on up and the fact that all the Batman cartoons are based, loosely, on the Batman movies, geared for 21 year olds on up...and that the producers don't give a crap about the FCC.

And I guess this doesn't include Japanimation.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

It highlights the stigma. Except in popcorn action movies or cop dramas, if you've got a gun, you must be looking to start trouble.