The Moving Wall

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Photo Album' started by islenos, Apr 1, 2005.

1. islenos

islenos New Member

SF Col. Donlon MOH Vietnam, Guest Speaker at the opening ceremony of the Moving Wall on display this week in West Texas

More pics next week

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  2. saddletramp46

saddletramp46 New Member

That wall is awesome.
    Saw it about two years ago when it was in So. Wis. Lots of people came to see it who had never been to the full scale one in D.C. Many probably would never have gone there but this way they get an idea of how somber it is. There was no loud talking there, and a lot of teary eyes. People were very respectful.
    The local national guard was there 24/7 to make sure no one vandalized it.
    It was a great team of people who worked with that. I think the wall does a lot to help people take a second look at what happened in Nam.

I went to the big wall in D.C. about 5-6 years ago.
    It was hard. Names of guys on that wall were from my unit.
    It found it difficult to be there and yet after I walked away I realized it was a bit therapeutic for me to face what occurred so long ago.

made me decide to start attending unit reunions. it was great to see the guys again and know that life does go on.
  3. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Thanks ST46 for sharing your thoughts and feelings....I've contemplated so often about going to see the moving wall, but as of yet, not done...My thoughts about reunions are that they get me so depressed that I skip them...Attended a high school reunion once in Iowa and that's exactly what happened...the depression lasted for weeks. Welcome to the board....what's the derivation of your handle...are you a cowboy? I'm an old retired plumber, engineer, and of course the Navy Seabee. Chief
  4. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  5. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I seen in Richmond Indiana When I was a kid, mabbe 11 or 12 I think. We went up there with my father and three Vets. Was a touching and tough thing to see.
  7. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I've never been to the wall but the moving wall did come to a local community last year. I went to honor all of those on the wall as well as those who stood in solemn remembrance of friends and situations of years ago. I looked up several friends and one I just found out something about today. He died on Mar. 30th, 1968 while serving with Bravo Co. 1/26 at K-San. He was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions on that day. I am humbled by his memory and his Heroism. I salute you and Honor you today PFC Donald R. Rash, SEMPER FI my friend. I left a can of C-Rats peaches and pound cake at the moving wall, to share with all but now dedicate that memory to you Don.:(:eek::(
  8. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

To read his citation he is most deserving of the MOH. I'm going to do what I can to see that his award is upgraded. I'm going to believe that Donald killed the SOB that might have got me and I hope I killed the one that got him.:(:mad::(:confused:
  9. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

And the rest of the story!!! I went back today to the town I grew up in with Donald R. Rash. I was able to find his twin brother Ronald. Ronald and I haven't seen one another since 1967. We had a very emotional meeting. We talked about Donald, but we were both over-whelmed with emotion and changed the subject. I then asked Ronald if he was with 1/26. He said no he was with Alpha Co. 1/3 with our rear area being in Quang-Tri. I could not believe it, it literally floored me. I was with Bravo 1/3 at the same time. Our companies were in different A.O's at the time and it was seldom that the whole battalion would be together and especially in the rear with the gear. Our hooches were right beside each other in Quang-Tri but we didn't see or know that we were there that close. We did know that we were both in-country somewhere. Anyway after the emotion,shock and dis- belief was over I told him that I was trying to get Donalds medal upgraded or some other form of recognition to commemorate his heroism. He told me Donalds squad leader was in the next town over and that he had recommended Donald for The Medal of Honor in 1968. I'm going to contact him for additional information. I owe it to Donalds memory.:):confused::eek::(:eek::):confused:
  10. rooter

Good Luck, Red....It's been more than 40 years now and so few of the warriors remain that would lend credence to your task...May I suggest?
    Chief

Oliver L. North
    Born October 7, 1943 (1943-10-07) (age 67)

Nickname Ollie
    Place of birth San Antonio, Texas
    Allegiance United States of America
    Service/branch United States Marine Corps
    Years of service 1968–1990
    Rank Lieutenant Colonel
    Unit 1st Battalion 3rd Marines
    3rd Battalion 8th Marines
    2nd Marine Division
    Commands held Marine Corps Northern Training Area, Okinawa
    Battles/wars Vietnam War
    Awards Silver Star
    Bronze Star
    Purple Heart(2)*

Presidential Service Badge
    Other work correspondent with the Fox News Channel
    United States Senate candidate
  11. rooter

Red, this is the Chief again with another name for you....He's a good man and a fine example of a former Marine who served his time in hell and is constantly reminded of that good and faithful service by dealing with his wounded body...Chief

Born 1949 (age 61–62)
    Tucson, Arizona
    Birth name Richard M. Romley
    Political party Republican
    Alma mater Arizona State University
    ASU Law School
    Profession Attorney
    Military service
    Service/branch United States Marine Corps
    Battles/wars Vietnam War
    Awards Purple Heart

Rick Romley (Richard M. Romley) (born 1949), a Republican, was the County Attorney for Maricopa County, Arizona from 1989 to 2004. He is currently serving as Interim Maricopa County Attorney following the appointment to that position by the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors.[1]

Early life:
    A veteran of the Vietnam War, serving in the United States Marine Corps,[2] he received numerous commendations for his service in that war, including the Purple heart medal He was severely wounded by a land mine, losing both legs above the knee and suffering other injuries.[3] Following the war, Romley went to Arizona State University in Tempe as a business management student, and graduated in 1974. He later attended ASU's law school and attained his Juris Doctor degree in 1981.

In 2001, he received the Disabled American Veterans' (DAV) Outstanding Disabled Veteran of the Year.[4]

After leaving the county attorney's post, Romley served as a special advisor to the Arizona Attorney General for six months.[2] In August 2007, he became a personal advisor to James Nicholson, Secretary of Veterans Affairs, in Washington, D.C.[
  12. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Thanks, Rooter, I'm going to contact both of these Marines. I had never read a complete bio- of Ollie's service but when I met him at a fund raiser for his Senate campaign, I had a feeling we had met in another place at another time. I don't know if it was when he was with 1/3 but very well could have been then.:eek::):)
  13. rooter

RED, thank you for your service to our country..Even though there are times when our leaders take us down those doubtful paths about questionable causes, ours is but to....well, you know the rest....did you ever correspond with SIXTY GUNNER who used to be on here a lot...He has his own site andI think he'd been in your unit...Was wounded numerous times at Hue and Quang Tri....? Chief
  14. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Thank You, for your service Rooter, I had the utmost respect for Sea Bee's and Corpmen. I felt like they were part of the Marine Corps, so a big Semper Fi for all. I'm not sure whether I corresponded with 60 gunner or not. Do you have the name of his web site?:)
  15. rooter

Red, I just sent a msg to Gunner on the only old address that I had...asked him to touch bases with me and that you may know each other....Gunner lives in and around the St. Louis area... I'll keep you posted.....Chief