The moving wall.

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BARTAL
    (8/18/01 5:24:45 pm)
    | Del All
    ezSupporter
    The moving wall.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes the moving wall came to my town this summer. Moving? It does move it's all in one big 18 wheeler , painted black. It does move you also.
    It moved me. My best friend Rich and I went south of town about 10 miles or so to meet this moving wall as it came into our town for a few days. as we first saw it coming down the road I got this lump in my throat. We got on our bikes to join the other 150 bikers that were leading this moving wall into our town. As we came up to the truck and passed it to get right in front of it. Tears came running down my face. They wouldn't stop. I cried all the way into town. On every corner people were standing and watching, waving, some almost cheering as we would go past. All the time I had tears running down my face. I would have to say that it was the most emotional thing I have done since coming home from Nam.
    The next four days where very emotional. Went there three times to see the wall before I could stop and look at it. On Sat. My friend Rich whose brother's name is on the wall and I worked at the wall helping people find names . I never got over the big emotional feeling that overcame me while the wall was here. The last morning it was here I got up early and went over to see it one more time. Only one other person was there. The fog was thick, and it made my last visit feel very strange. As I drove off tears again ran down my face. I think the four days seemed like a big wake. Some call it the wall that heals........I don't think I can say that. I don't ever want to forget that feeling. I don't want to heal.
    I did find some names that I wish I couldn't find. But I also didn't find some that I thought might be there. Most of all I couldn't find mine. I always wonder why ? It was a small fine line from life and death. I guess all I can say is if my name was there I would hope some one would come to see it and have tears coming down they're face.

Peace....Barry

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/18/01 6:20:38 pm)
    | Del Re: The moving wall.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Barry,

Glad you were able to go and to help at the Moving Wall.

It came to our area a few years ago, to a little town about
    60 miles away. Tried to get hubby to go, but he wouldn't.
    Have been to DC myself several times, and have been
    at the Wall there several times during each visit. Tried to
    get hubby to go with me on each trip..he wouldn't. Went
    to Pensacola in '99, and they have the Wall South there..
    a 1/2 sized replica. He wouldn't go then. Goin' back to
    Pensacola in November...will ask again if he will go. Hope he will.
    Each in his own time, I reckon.....

There's just something about being there when there's no crowd
    around......

Sharon

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (8/18/01 6:39:27 pm)
    Barry...I am by no means a psycologist or psychiatrist. But I have had training in CISD...Critical Incident Stress Debriefing. It's a confrontational type of training...confronting your fears, events, thoughts, questions and sometimes people. Not only have I had the training but I had to go thru the debriefing because of an event in my past. I can tell you that it sounds like you've been "debriefed"...so to speak. Emotionally at least. When I was debriefed I felt like shit for 4-5 days...this is normal. When I went thru my debriefing I got a tightness in my shoulder...something physical. Hurt like hell. This is normal, too. I was really down...depressed for those 4-5 days. This is normal. I don't know if you will experience any of these emotions but if you do...it's normal. I will say a special prayer for you.

Robert Harden
    (8/26/01 12:25:09 pm)
    The moving wall was in my hometown this summer. It was quite an event. I have never been to DC, so this was something new to me completely. I am not a Vietnam vet, but I'm a veteran of Desert Storm. I work as a police officer here in town, so I would stop by the wall as I worked late graveyard shifts. I remember the campfire and the watchmen, the spotlights and the thousands and thousands of names. I am very soft hearted when it comes to our country, those that died, those that fought, and those that have to live with memories of the same. I will always be grateful to "The Soldier". I have this poem on my desktop at home, some of you might enjoy it as well....

"The Soldier"

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag,

And whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

- Author Unknown

If you serverd our country, thank you.

Living Life as a K-9 Officer / EagleWolf Forum

Discussion topics about Law Enforcement and anything related

- Everyone welcome.

Misterstan
    (8/26/01 2:51:55 pm)
    Bob,

Thanks for posting. Always good to see that poem. From what you say as a veteran of Desert Storm, it looks like they still make 'em like they used to.

Welcome and Thank You for your service to your country!

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Edited by: Misterstan at: 8/26/01 3:55:41 pm

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (8/26/01 3:31:09 pm)
    Robert...welcome to the board. Glad to have you!!!! Welcome home!

oneknight
    (8/26/01 5:35:33 pm)
    Robert,

Welcome to this board of Veterans and non vets....

Hope you'll enjoy the time you spend with us and getting
    to know us. We're a fun group most of the time.

Donna

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/26/01 11:03:38 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: The moving wall.
    Robert,

Glad you decided to join us!

Welcome Aboard!

The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Indybear57
    (8/27/01 10:54:48 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Robert-ditto all of the above welcomes! Hope to see more from you soon.

Indy

Robert Harden
    (8/27/01 12:08:16 pm)
    Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I've been viewing and reading several good forums lately, some referred, etc. This looks like a good one, I'll be around.

- Everyone welcome.

oneknight
    (8/27/01 1:10:51 pm)
    Robert,

I took a look at your site last night.....well done....nice
    background of colors.

Donna

Robert Harden
    (8/27/01 3:29:15 pm)
    Thanks, feel free to stop in anytime. Would love to have ya!

- Everyone welcome.

Indybear57
    (8/27/01 3:42:53 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Robert-as a K-9 officer I think there's a picture in the Boo Koo Dinky Dau section under Funny Photos you might be able to identify with condsidering the belt tightening going on in police departments all over the country.

Edited by: Indybear57 at: 8/27/01 4:45:13 pm

Robert Harden
    (8/28/01 2:31:25 pm)
    Funny. =) My chief has sent me that very picture and threatened me with a new K-9. lol.

- Everyone welcome.