The Nam

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Crpdeth, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

To those who have been over there...

First let me say to the newer guys who don't know me that well, that you are all my Heroes, I don't care if you served for 4 years or if you are retired after a life of service, war time or peace time. With that said there has always been something about the Vietnam War that has drawn me in since I was a kid, it's almost an insatiable desire to know more, maybe in part because many of the men and women who were there cannot dwell on their experience long enough to describe it before having to push it out of their mind...How horrific that must be...

The Nam (Mark Baker) is a book that I've bought twice thus far and am getting ready to purchase again, the first one was stolen from me in high school as a kid, the second one was loaned to someone who moved away, I've read it a dozen times through the years and it is definitely my favorite because it is a compilation of short (sometimes two lines) "stories" from those (Mostly Grunts) who were there, not just some facts that some author who wasn't there dug up.

To guys like me, those "two line stories" are priceless, I've read so many stories, many right here, but I'd LOVE to hear an occasional line or two in this thread from you Men and Women who I esteem so highly, any thought that you may wish to share.

One guy in the book spoke of how the C-rations gave him fits because the peanut butter clogged him up but the juice sent him him running for cover, but between the two he said he stayed regular. :D I guess I included that in order to say that ANY thought...ANY thought... is priceless from you folks.

I've almost deleted this request twice in writing it simply because I know that there are many who simply cannot respond and I hate to post something like this and just watch it get buried...I'll say this, I don't post much in here because quite frankly I don't feel worthy, I have so little to add, all I can do is read and admire you people from a distance, you are all Giants to me, that's the only way I can describe how I feel about you.

Respectfully

Crpdeth
  2. Well, Crp, there were those damn lima bean and pork C-rats that would gag a maggot at 100 yards, not to mention that old Tiger Beer with enough formaldehyde in each bottle to embalm a corpse. Of course, after a few of those, one frequently wished he were a corpse! :eek:

Crp, the reason, I think, that so many of us cannot dwell long on the war lies with one simple fact: There is simply no way to separate the good from the bad. What I mean is that even when we remember the funny times (and those did happen, like the time I feel out of a damn tree while drunk on my ass :rolleyes: ) they always dredge up memories of the bad things that happened, usually because of people associated with the funny things who did not come home. Everything, it seems in retrospect, is associated with everything else like some gigantic quicksand pool.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Tiger Beer. Like having a big rock in your gut after the first one.

Bud and Miller not much better after cooking a month or two while setting in a Sea/Land container at the Da Nang deep water piers
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

We mostly drank the "33" bier in the Delta because 90% of the beer we got from supply choppers was Schlitz, & Black Label in those lovely tin cans that recquired a "churchkey" to open.

Ya know, I still keep about a half dozen or so of those things in a kitchen drawer.

I remember playing a whole game of Yhatzee just to see who would buy the next round. It kept us sober though.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  5. meandmy45s

meandmy45s New Member

Vietnam is a very sensitive subject for a lot of people for different reasons. I think McNamara et al should have been charged with something for what the Govt did to our boys - absolute disgrace! Sorry, perhaps not directly applicable to the thread and thanks to all of those who fought to protect my freedoms. I for one am eternally indebted to your service!
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

The pound cake and cocoa mix were the best that C Rats had to offer.

Nam actually did me a favor. I met my wife thru the mail while I was over there. We got married 6 months after I got back in 1969. :)
  7. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

"Fish heads & rice washed down with hot Tiger Pissl" ... ;)

Back then something like that was considered a delicacy out in the bush ... :D

I remember well passing through small villes while on patrol and having the youngsters approach us to try to sell us an "ICE COLD Coke" or a big chunk of "Ice" ...

Imagine that out in the middle of nowehere with a temp of about 110 in the shade ... :rolleyes:

Must have had an ice chest and a generator hooked up down in the tunnel somewhere ... :confused:

Oh well ...

Six Out!
  8. Oh, and don't forget that kimchi the peasants made! The very smell of that stuff would cause any self-respecting rat to puke! And speaking of rats . . . how about ones as large as a small dog? I remember one night when we had a brand new, shiny butter bar who had just reported in. He got up in the middle of the night to take a leak and ran into one in his hooch. Bam! Bam, bam, bam! Four rounds from a .45 and one very dead rat. Needless to say, the whole compound was awakened and even the men on perimeter duty started shooting at shadows. Took at least 30 minutes to calm everything down again. The LT got his butt reamed from the Captain, of course, and nothing more was said, but I did notice the next day he didn't have his .45. ;)
  9. SixTGunr

SixTGunr New Member

Good idea ... :D :D :D

Six
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

You guys haven't mention nouc mam' yet. it is the Vietnamese version of Ketchup. There was a big nouc mam' factory on Hiway 4 south of Saigon.

My counterpart in the 7th Arvn division explained to me how it was made, I wish he had not. It had tasted pretty good before that.
  11. Jay

Jay New Member

You know who your friends are, cause they'll think nothing about checking you for leeches after wading for part of a day. :rolleyes:
  12. armabill

armabill Member

Leeches and bamboo snakes! Had both.

Spiders bigger than soft balls too.
  13. SF Mike

SF Mike New Member

Proper utilization of Ham and MoFo's

Kimchee is from Korea

Attached Files:

14. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I never saw kinchee in Vietnam, only in Korea.
  15. williamd

williamd New Member

Arrived in Danang in early '65 ... before the bad s...tuff. Did a survey of the harbor putting marker buoys on a Jap cruiser sunk in '45 that I, at 5'8", could stand on and have my head/shoulders out of the water. Snakes loved that ship! Used our boats to ferry "flood relief gear" up river .... right! ... all ammo to the airbase! The New Orleans Bar (nee Paris Bar) served beer from under the counter with dipper and a funnel. Safer than the water! The N.O. Bar had a single rest room (a trough behind a door) that us Westerners were sensive to. Went in one day and there were two doors for M and W .... opened into the same trough room!:p
    Met a guy a few years ago that told me about R&R at Chu Lai in early 70s. I looked surprised and told him it was a narrow beach, scrub and brush. He informed me that it became the model for China Beach. Not in Feb '65 it wasn't!
    A buddy that was there in '63 has a neat website including Tuffy the Tiger; the only tiger to be airlifted to the US and lived a long life in the Cincinatti Zoo. See www.oc-kahuna.com for the Tuffy story and some great pics of the ealy days.

Most scary moments ... from my counterpart when S.VN command changed! He was nuts!

Demo'ing a program for harbor control to some Vietnamese gents ... the x-Army helo guy with the above mentioned website, an x-airforce fighter type and me, the x-swabbie. Army said something about the delta area and one of the [young, to us] VN's asked 'you have seen our country?' Army, 'uh, yes.' Asked me and I said 'only in the north near Danang and Hue, beautiful [it was]'. Asked AF and he said "Only from the air!" :D They finally caught on! Did not buy the program! It's more fun now than then.

If you haven't been to The Wall ... GO! Winter is best as there are fewer people to wonder what is wrong with you and why you can't talk!

WWII memorial is good, too. Two uncles helped pay for that! One on Luzon, one over Germany.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2007