The nay-sayer wanted to see a 5 shot group...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, Jul 8, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I was told that unless I shoot "uninterrupted video," (I'm dishonest,) of a 5 shot group, (what I do is unacceptable,) with my Howa, my marksmanship is questionable.

Since I can't afford to waste 30-06 supplies to entertain those that haven't done what they expect me to do; and since I needed to test a summer load for the Smith & Wesson, I used the 357.

6 Shots, 357 Mag, 300 Yards

The second shot seems to be very close on the left side, just high of center; that will be the first shot of my 5 shot group. This load passes my test... do I pass yours?

I await your uninterrupted 5 shot 300 yard video...

On a lighter note, it is another personal best; today was the first time I hit at 300 yards with a pistol. Shots 3, 4 and 5 looks like about a 4 inch group. The last 5 seem to be about a 6 inch group. I'll do better next time.

Pistol: Smith & Wesson 686, 357 Mag
    Bullet: Hornady 158gr HP-XTP
    Powder: VIHT N 110
    Primer: CCI 550 Mag
    Case: Federal

I hope posting range reports isn't becoming a problem.

To be clear. I don't post range reports to impress people; I post them to show what specific firearms are capable of. I post them to show what the cheapest equipment will do. I post to show the benefits of reloading. My 92 year old Eddystone has a shot out barrel but still shoots .75MOA because I have ammo tailored especially for it. My 30-30 shoots .5MOA at 300 yards, that isn't supposed to be possible.
    I don't do anything different than anyone else. Just Saturday I let someone that never shot a scoped rifle before and never shot beyond 40 feet, use the Howa to take one shot at a 1.25" target at 300 yards. With just 2 minutes of coaching, they missed by a fraction of an inch. There is nothing I do that anyone else can't do just as well or much better.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

dont stress about nay sayers, even when you do what they say cant be done they'll find a excuse to say its wrong

just enjoy what you do , do it the best that you can and everything else is trivia

i'll watch the vid's later when the net's got less traffic

but liked all your previous stuff eh
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont doubt your skill rifleman. Sure anybody can hit the mark if they send enough bullets downrange at it. but you have proven to be a very efficient shooter hitting the mark with the first shot everytime. You have a snipers understanding of how bullets and firearms are supposed to work. Like our aussie friend said, dont sweat the nay sayers;)
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My kind of guy, good shooting by the way. My motto is shoot ridiculous small objects at ridiculous long ranges at ridiculous small targets. That is fun, everything else is just practice.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

and i thought shooting a 6 inch steel plate at 50 yards off hand with a pistol was pretty good
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I was amazed when I first shot this pistol, never seen a pistol that shot as well.

Yep, I figure the smaller the object the better I will get.

I don't always hit but I try to figure out why I missed when I do and correct the error.

I try not to sweat the small stuff but sometimes I just need to set the record straight.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Rifleman, I loved that 300 yd pistol shooting! Now back up to 500 yds! It can be done. I know for a fact that the .357 is capable of hitting targets at that range, although I have never even tried it. I've read about it, and I know that the balistics are there. Just want to see it, and you are the man that can show us all how it's done. Don't worry about the nay sayers, you just keep on doing your thang! And just so you know, I'm one of those folks that think about the 2nd Amendment the same way you do. When you read the text there is no language that prohibits the ownership of firearms by any American citizen.
  8. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I enjoy the videos..keep them coming. I like the ones in snow...that takes dedication.

J
  9. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

300 yards with a 357 is nothing, now 500 would have been impressive. Ok ok just kidding. That was very nice. I would have been lucky to hit that with my AR 15. I agree with the others, don't sweat it.
  10. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Looks like some good shooting to me. Makes me wonder if I can do that with either of my .45s.
    I also like to challenge myself.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  11. dianalv

dianalv New Member

I couldn't see the target on an unscoped firearm at 300 yards. I have trouble with small targets at 100 yards. Scoped now... that might be doable with a rest. Never shot handgun with a rest before.
  12. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I have put a weight on the target so it points up and reflects the sky instead of the grass and dirt around the target. That improves visibility a lot more than one would think. Also, I cast a shadow on my sights which does a lot more for visibility than angling the target. If I didn't do those things, with the conditions the way they were, I would have not been able to see that target well enough to be half as consistent.
    I can see a 2moa target at whatever distance pretty clear, once it gets smaller it gets pretty fuzzy.

I'll have to try 550 sooner or later, (550 is all I the closer to 500 can get from my bench;) before yesterday I didn't think I would ever get 300, I had tried with probably 18 shots on at least 3 different occasions.
  13. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I tried shooting at the longer distances mainly because I seen a YouTube of a guy shooting balloons at long range with a pistol much like the top one in your picture. Try it!
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a coke can sized target at 300 is a chest sized target at 800 ...

a golf ball at 300 is a head at 900

nuthing at all wrong with that ,

8-9 outta 10 times?

(add some slow moving targets ;) )

the trick is doing it when you need to and maybe all day..

but thats heaps good enough ..

cheers
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  15. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The same type of folks who still say the Lunar Landing was filmed in a Hollywood sound stage. Some folks just have no idea what to do with their time.

Nice little video.

Personally, I never question anyone's photos of their shot groups. Why bother to lie. There are no big prizes that I am aware of.
  16. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

Now you tell me. :D
  17. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Hey Rifleman, that's some GREAT pistol shooting there.
    Keep up the good shooting and keep posting those video's!
    There is always "nay-sayers", well let them be just that...nothing to prove here and
    no awards to be handed out and I for one look forward to see what your going to be pulling off next, and you do! That's some good shooting there.
  18. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Well, I was the nay-sayer and I truly apologize for that. I bow down to your skill as a Marksman. I'm not trying to be condescending here. I have really seen some amazing shots in your videos. My hat's off to you Rifleman.

Today I actually made my own little "uninterrupted" video of a 300 yd. "cold-Bore" shot at the plastic cap from a water bottle. Not the smartest idea I've ever had because the cap is basically white plastic and I stapled it to a white piece of paper. I could only barely make out the staple and a little bit of shadow through the mirage created by this 90+ degree day. Not to mention the wind does crazy things at my range. From the line to about 200yds there was an intermittent crosswind and from there to 300yds it swirls because of the berm on both sides. I'm not making excuses just detailing the conditions. I made the video with the only thing I have to do this with, an iPod Nano that has a built-in video camera. It's an amateurish attempt and I even had my finger in front of the lens for part of it (but not the important parts and I didn't cover it completely). The problem is that my computer won't recognize the iPod since I upgraded my I-Tunes account. I have no freakin' way to get this video out to you. I'm going to try it at work on Monday so stand by. I have an IT guy there that I'll get to help me if he can. I WILL get it out there!

Anyway, I did it because I needed to... After the SH#T-STORM I've endured over this!
  19. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Cool, I hope you figure out how to YouTube it.

Thanks for the apology, don't worry yourself about it. :)
  20. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Well my video is over 4 minutes long and my home computer doesn't have enough horsepower to upload it. I got around the iTunes issue but now I'm stuck again. I'm going to try to put it on YouTube if I can figure out how. Be patient with me Rifleman...
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010