The Odd One Year offered S&W Model 586-1 Target Champion

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Hammerdown, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I have been looking awhile for a nice model 586 to add in my S&W revolvers. I came across this rather Odd looking Target champion model last weekend and had to bring it home. They offered the 586-1 Series revolver for just one year along with the special 4 way adjustable front sight, One year as well. It could have come on the 6" barrel as shown or the Longer 8-3/8" Barrels. It is designed to allow the target shooter to simply adjust the thumb wheel to change point of impact at the distances of 25-100-200-300 Yards. I havent had time to fire it yet but it should to be fun with this Long range sight. Sadly I didn't get the box or instructions so it will have to be trial and error to see how it adjusts at these distances. I have in the past seen model 29s in .44 Magnum with this special sight package but never saw a 586 with one until I came across this one. It would be interesting to know just how many S&W produced in this model.;) Hammerdown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

According to the Blue Book, the Model 586 was offered with an adjustable front sight from 1986 to 1991.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, the adjustable front sight and 8 3/8 barrel were deleted in 1992 with change 586-3
  3. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I Often find Blue books incorrect in many facets of gun options on several different brands, Real market values or in depth information.The worse I have seen in the Older Classic Colt Single actions it is either not stated or incorrect so I don't bother to look at them seeing this reference book only good on the Buyers end for dealers as ALL their current market prices are way low of actual prices reflected. On the information based in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson's By Suppica & Hahas it runs more precise. I agree they DID drop the front adjustable sight on the "8-3/8" Barrel in 1992 as indicated but it was Only offered on the 6" Barrel models in the Dash One series for one Year.;)
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Good lookin gun
  5. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Southershooter
    Thank's for your Kind comments. I was intrigued with the special front sight and the fact this Dash One series 586 was just one year led to the Purchase. Regards, Hammerdown
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I owned a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel with front adj sight.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

This adjustable front sight was made for silhouette shooters and the adjustments were for 25 - 50 - 75 and 100 mtrs. Hope this helps.

IPT
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I may still have an owners manual for your new revolver if you don't have one. That front sight can be tricky to adjust .
  9. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Shooter 45
    Please P.M. me here and let me know, as I could use this badly, and thanks for the offer. Regards, Hammer Down.
  10. tooslow

tooslow New Member

i don't know if you got your PM, but i have a 686 w/6" barrel and adjustable front sight; i used it in PPC shoots (don't laugh... we used VERY low power
    .38 wadcutters; you could SEE them fly!)
    i set it up for the four different stages to compensate for bullet drop (7, 15, 25, & 50 yards, as i recall).

to adjust the sights, press down on the REAR of the sight (there are serrations there), turn the wheel to position #1, and turn the #1 allen screw to raise and lower the sight. once you've got that set, repeat and adjust for position #2, then repeating for the other two positions. there will be no further adjustment required as long as you use the same ammo.
    i hope that helps you out.

tooslow