The Old Guys were rusty today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by todd51, Mar 7, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The weather was GOOD, the wind was BAD, and the shooting was UGLY. I wish I could show you some fantastic marksmanship shown by the Old Guys today but that just wasn't what happened. It may be because none of us have shot since before Christmas but I will accept any excuse for our performance today. The wind was nasty but you can't blame the wind when you are shooting 230gr .45acp at 25 yards and that is what I tried today. I had about 300 rounds through the SR 1911 before today and had loaded up some test loads using Rem. 230gr. fmj and Hodgdon HP-38 in 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5 grains. I was hoping to find a sweet spot but every time I pulled the trigger is was more like vinegar. The Ruger is hitting right at point of aim so my six o'clock hold proved to be too low and I wound up using center bull hold. I wasn't concerned about any thing but group size but the target looked more like I was shooting 000 buckshot. I was using a rest and the target was at 25 yards. Only thing I proved today is that I was shooting poorly.

The bright spot today was my new Ruger MK III. First rounds through it today using CCI 40gr. Std. Vel. Took only a few rounds to get the red dot on target and the then a couple boxes of ammo were spent just having fun hitting the spinners and swingers at 50 feet and even the steel at 50 yards. This little pistol is going to be a sweety.

Bob had no complaints with his Beretta Neos or his Ruger SR9 and was pleased with his plinking results.

Jim had purchased a new Barska 8-24 x 42 scope for his Winchester Wildcat .22lr bolt gun. Took a couple mags to get it close to the bull but shots were being placed irregularly and he was getting frustrated. He was shooing CCI Mini Mag at 50 yards and the group was spread out to an inch and a half or better. He switched to CCI Std. Vel. and POI changed but group size became much smaller. He then said that he had scrubbed the bore clean a couple weeks back. We figured that was the problem and said put the Mini Mags back in and he shot another decent group. Groups continued to improve as he shot more. I think this was just a good example of what can happen with a cleaned bore. It took over 25 rounds before that rifle got back to the group sizes it shot last year.

We had a great time in spite of the poor shooting skills demonstrated and the weather, even with the strong wind, was the best day so far this year. We were glad to get out and maybe some more range time will improve out shooting ability.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. rimmer1

rimmer1 Member

Any day on the range is a good day. Maybe the accuracy was not there but you were. I spent some time on the range yesterday myself and all was good in the world.
    I hope we have many more.
    Oscar
  3. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Todd, "You're a poet but don't know it"! Nice pic's, thanks for sharing.
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

I finally got to get out of the workshop and go shooting on Sunday, pretty overcast but around mid-50s. Got to break in the new Phoenix Arms HP22A (when I could get it away from the wife that is!), my new Ruger P95 and new zombie defense rifle, a Saiga in 7.62x39. My shooting actually seems to be getting better, spent too many years away from firearms and am having to relearn some things.

Don't care if I didn't hit the broadside of the barn, still a good day out of the house!
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I agree but i will say that a bad day on the range is still better than a good day at work!
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

GREAT Todd, good to hear you finally got to get to the range!
    Good warm weather and even though windy, it was a good day to get
    out and shoot.
    I'm happy you finally was able to get your 1911 out and broke in.
    I like that Barska scope on the Winchester...should be able to see every
    hit and then some!!! Nice.
  7. Zane71464

Yes Sir, Todd!
    Some of the people I shoot with just cant seem to wrap, what is left,
    of their brain capacity around that very thing.
    I can try and explain that to them but it useually falls on deaf ears!:rolleyes:
  8. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Todd all of my targets look just like yours every time, if I'm able to hit the target that is.

At least you guys were able to get out, and it sounds like you all had a good time. Great looking pictures!
  9. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Bad day at the range beats the greatest day at work.

I want to be you when I grow up....................
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It sounds like ya'll had a good time. I had plans to get out to the range yesterday, but my wife had other ideas. I spent the day painting so I know ya'll had a better time than I did.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kudos fellows. We did have a good time and the weather is only going to get better and I am sure the marksmanship will too, ha. Always better when someone goes along and I don't think it is smart for me to drive the 50 miles to the range and then shoot alone. So always happy when one or more of the Old Guys wants to go along. Always looking for someone to go shooting and the lady that started cleaning my home for me just said that her 24 year old son is getting into guns and wanted to know if I would take him shooting some time. Told her of course as always anxious to spread the hobby. So maybe there will be some young blood with the Old Guys on of these days.
  12. Zane71464

Nice Todd, good to have friends along and getting someone new along.
    (how 'bout some middle aged blood?)
    Wait a minute, I might pass as "an old guy!!" And that'a no joke..
    starting to feel it anyways.
  13. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Come on down, Dale. Jack and Skip would like to be referred to as middle age I am sure. Skip is retired but Jack still is working. Most of the rest will never see 65 again, ha. We do need to get together this year. We talked about it last year and never did meet. I just don't want to open my self to something like Sam and Josh do. That is too big a deal for me to tackle. But we are seeing a lot of Buckeyes on the forum so maybe we can get together this year.
  14. Zane71464

Might be able to take you up on it this year Todd. Things have, so far,
    slaowed down a bit. And I know what you mean about like Sam and Josh,
    but for me to be able to grab a day every once in a while would be good!
    (need to get the new marlin 60 out and scoped!)
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Nice fire power you guys have there. And, a bad day at the range is better than no time at the range.
  16. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Todd, you guys keep up the good work!
  17. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I just got a Mosin Nagant, and managed to get it to the range today. It has ben raining, so it was good to get out. The wind was in my face pretty strong, but I did pretty good at 200 yards. It was fun. The gun looked like brand new. The date was 1943.
  18. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

You got a marlin 60? Hey Todd its about having fun can't hit the bullseye all the time. Todd how do u get the printing on the picture to describe who is who?
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice shootn Todd. As always.

I notice you refer to Bob as Brother, but I fail to see the family resemblance. ;)
  20. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Josh but I didn't prove any thing with the 1911. Just too much coffee or something. Will just try again. Supposed to be 70 degrees Wed. Sorry about the confusion but Bob ( I worked with Bob on the fire dept.) and Jim are brothers but no relation to me as I am an only child.

The Ruger 1911 has a nasty but slight little hangup in the trigger but I am way to particular. I am hoping a few hundred rounds will smooth things out a bit.

No complaints with the MK III. I had put a Volquartsen trigger kit in it and got rid of the mag disconnect with a Sam's bushing before I even fired a shot. It is going to be a fun plinker

Going to the OGCA gun show at Wilmington OH tomorrow. Hope I can resist the urge to buy but I will be looking for an original peep sight for a Wards Western Field Model 47A which is the same as a Mossberg Model 46A .22 s. l. lr.