The Old West

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gun runner, Jan 8, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

How would you have liked it to be living in the 19th century( the 1800s ) when you could carry a gun in a saloon or wherever you wanted without legal issues? Or how about hunting off a road without getting your horse but now vehicle tooken away, your gun, and you getting sent to jail with also a big fine like these days now , not saying that Ive done that. Just thought Id get some replies. I know nothing cant beat todays technology but yeah Abraham Lincoln certainly did do a better job as president than as this president we have now in my opinion :)
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

In all honesty, I wouldn't have lived this long in the Old West.... bad eyes, bad back, not to mention the miracle of antibiotics!

I would have been one of those wooden crosses planted alongside the Chisolm Trail.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

1865 would have been great. The 45 long colt by Samuel Colt. But did the girls shower much then. Hmmm.
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I dont know if they showered much back then :D but from what I see there is alot less clothes being worn by these girls than it used to be. These girls nowadays dont hold an umbrella from the sun they tan in the sun. You know times have changed. My father told me about the 70's but i told him about these years/days :D
  5. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

In 1885 and you could see Doc Brown and Marty McFly.
  6. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I'll just stick with today. I like TP to much. I'm just a stickler for personal comfort. :D:D:D
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Man, you ain't just whistling Dixie!!
  8. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Ever time it rained and they went outside....:p

Whattaya got... Bloodhound in yer genes ?? :p picky,picky,picky..:rolleyes:
  9. Win73

Win73 New Member

Actually there were many places you couldn't carry guns then. Many towns had no gun ordinances. Remember the OK corral? The Earps were trying to enforce the no gun ordinance against the Clantons.

In Abilene, there was a no gun ordinance. Hickock tried to enforce it against Cousin Wes. But Hardin backed him down, so the story goes.
  10. Win73

Win73 New Member

The .45 Colt didn't come along until 1873.
  11. Win73

Win73 New Member

By the way, here is my piece of the Old West, 1891 vintage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Win73, Thanks for correedcting me on that. I have always known that but sometimes my brain just doesn't hold everything. That's what I get for being cocky. Jim
  13. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

those gun laws were mainly for strangers in town. people who owned property in town were allowed to carry. in fact, if there was trouble, they were expected to be ready to serve in a posse.
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah I like air conditioning, ice cold beer, TV....but it would be nice to have the best of both. Maybe?
  15. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

[bold added]

Actually a hollyweird fantasy. Most organized towns of any size prohibited the carrying of firearms by the 1860's. In most cases this was a rather liberal policy that mostly targeted side arms. Long arms kept in wagons weren't often considered. Those in need carried their iron concealed in pockets, etc. ( Note; a great deal of experiment by gun makers making concealable pistols followed hard on the heels of this practice. ) In small towns across the west I'd opine the practice probably varied somewhat according to the feelings of the local LEO and the clientele the town served.

FWIW, in the "mid sixties" (20th century) in KY I had several occasions to see hill families "come to town" with the patriarch and his sons on the wagon seat - each with his own rifle - and the 'women folks'in the bed. But the wagon - while industinguishable from from generations' previous - was fitted with rubber tires and they left their "iron" in the wagon whilst doing their shopping.

According to multiple accounts I've read the "Shootout at the OK Corral" resulted from precisely this practice. Range cowboys - the McLowerys - were inside Tombstone city limits with side arms. And Dodge City - trailhead for many cattle drives - had its "deadline" where open carry of sidearms was strictly prohibited, while it was discourage south of there as well. >MW