The Para Ordinance LDA

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Bernie109, May 6, 2006.

1. Bernie109

Bernie109 Former Guest

While the M1911, in my opinion is the King of fighting pistols. Public service such as Police and military no longer allow single action autos. A logical evolution would be to have a DA 1911. Colt attempted to do this with the Double Eagle but it'a QA was so bad that it never caught on. Para Ordinance has now come out with the LDA. I have been eager to see what Mr. 1911 himself, Jeff Cooper would have to say about it but he never made a comment. (This could be saying a lot). Any opinions / experiences?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

While I prefer a single action trigger on a 1911 pistol, the LDA trigger took some getting used to. Not bad after a few shots. Some of the local IPSC guys are using the Para-Ord LDA with good results.
  3. meandmy45s

meandmy45s New Member

I can't see anything better than a single action myself.
  4. Bernie109

Bernie109 Former Guest

While I doubt that the Para LDA would ever supplant my MK-4 Series 70, Public service and even Private security has all but banned Single action autos. If one is goin to work in Law Enforcement or Private security, you either use the "Crunchentickers" they issue or go to an LDA if you can get it approved.
  5. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

The excuse for not wanting SA pistols is lawyers and a lack of training.
    I just got back from firing my 1911 and didn't shoot myself or anyone around me.
    I also practiced with my USPc 40 LEM. If I had to defend myself I'd choose the 1911 only because I shoot it better. The LEM is the next best thing I think and I use it for carry when the 1911 is inappropiate.
    If we continue to let the fear of lawyers run our lives, the choices in our lives will stop being ours and become theirs. To some extent they already have.
    Enough of that. If you like it and shoot it well.....carry it!
  6. popo22

popo22 New Member

I carried a Para 16.40 LDA for approx. 5 years (on SWAT & Patrol) and it is a reliable and accurate weapon. For Leo use the extra mag. capacity makes a lot of sense, but its just a little large in th grip to be really comfortable for me (I have small to med. hands).

I put approx. 15K rounds through it without a glitch, totally dependable. If it fits your hand then I'd say try it out if you can convince your department that its not really a 1911 "Cocked & Locked" model.(most dept.'s seem to be leary of "Cocked & Locked" weapons these days.
    Good Luck