"The Passion of Christ"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smokin Guns, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Wife, Mom-in-Law and 17 year old...went to see it tonight. Anyone else seen it yet? Wha'chu think?...:confused:
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I have not seen it. What is your feedback. I would like to see it.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Moving beyond description!
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Rem, Haven't seen it yet, I expect to see some tear-stained faces when they return...I think it will be eye opening for my 17 year old...;)
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Just got back from seeing it an hour ago. I'm still emotionally overwhelmed.
  6. Remington597

Ok, I am off to see it now.

Brian
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

SoMo, That's what I imagined, based off what I've heard and read about the film.
  8. Remington597

Oops, sold out, just went on line, we'll have try again until the frenzy subsides. I wish people had this excitement about Christ all the time.
  9. SouthernMoss

Remy, buy your tickets ahead of time. I went to the theatre last night between the 7:00 and 9:45 shows and bought tickets for this afternoon.
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Bought my tix last Sunday afternoon for last Wednesday night.

You don't just watch this film, you 'experience it' & you feel it.

I'm going again next week.

berto
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

.....don`t ruin the ending for me!!!!!

LTS
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Is it as good as the book?!?!

:D

~Donny
  13. boeboe

boeboe New Member

Christ

Saw it this afternoon with the wife, in the same town where the lady died of a heart attack watching it. I have to admit, I was about ready to cry 20 minutes into the movie, this is a tear-jerker from beginning to end, not just at the end.

I think it could have been as effective, and more realistic without the Hollywood special effects, I didn't see a reason for the demonic children driving Judas to suicide, for example. The depiction of Satan may have been overdone, certianly wasn't Biblical in terms of the crucifixion account. And perhaps there was a bit too much "tradition" in there, rather than pure Biblical accounts.

Unless you are a believer (or perhaps simply think Christ was incredibly insane) it is really impossible to explain how someone was so driven toward such a horrific self-destruction. I think most who don't "believe" in Christ accept the fact that he was fully aware of the consequences of his action, the actions leading up to the crucifixion. Unless you believe there were powers above our understanding, it is impossible to explain what drove Jesus of Nazareth towards his incredibly self-destructive actions, considering the amount of torture he knew he would suffered.
  14. Remington597

I finally got through on Yahoo Movies and was able to get a ticket for the 10:45pm show. I just came home. This is the best movie I have ever seen. Mel Gibson is a genius, and I am a very hard critic.
    This movie is a masterpiece. I don't have the words to describe it. You just have to see it and experience it. This film is not just watching a movie, its something that engages you at the core.
    I believe the special effects were necessary. I also believe the way satan was portrayed, was very accurate, or at least the way I have always perceived him to be, as an androgenous being with unlimited powers of deception.
    The depth of the graphic violence is not for children ,but was necessary to portray the truth, I would recommend if children attend , then they must be accompanied by adults, who are ready to comfort and explain certain parts to them.
  15. SouthernMoss

I think the portrayal of satan and the demons, although not strictly scriptural, was the only way to get the point across that satan was very much involved in what was going on.

It's the same line of thinking that was used in "A Beautiful Mind". The man the story is about (can't think of his name at the moment), didn't actually see the "imaginary" characters... they were voices in his mind. But how do you portray voices in a movie? So they decided to fudge just a bit and make them actual characters that only he could see. It was the only way to get the point across.

You can bet satan was in Jesus' mind every step of the way, taunting Him, tempting Him to call down the wrath of heaven on His tormentors.

And you are right Boeboe, that Jesus was fully aware of what He was about to go through. That's what makes His sacrifice all the more incredible.