The Pestering Begins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JUNKKING, Dec 4, 2012.

1. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I think I made a big mistake today, I was online looking at new trucks and I put my information into a search for what I was looking for and within 5 minutes my phone was ringing like mad. I am looking to buy I wont be pressured I actually had to tell 3 of them to never call me again. They weren't going to tell me I had to buy now to get this price or when I had to come in and talk with them...Weren't we talking now? If the vehicle is this price today it should be the same price in 2 or 3 weeks.... Then they ask how much do you want your payment to be? I tell them how much is the vehicle and I will decide how much my own payment will be and I only give them one chance at beating a price I already have if they say they cant don't waste each others time. I'm not going to play games... Give me your best price and don't think you're getting a second chance!
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hate to buy cars. I hate it so much I think I will keep the one's I have now forever.
  3. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

a valuable lesson learned
  4. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    That's where something like a Google Voice number comes in handy. It's the number I use on websites when I'm required to give a phone number.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I was emailing all of the local toyota dealers when we were shopping for our Sequoia, I'm not joking, one guy called within 2 minutes of sending the email asking me what I was interested in. "Did ya even read my email yet? it's all in there!"

I knew exactly what I wanted and told them as much, many still came back with vehicles that were way off. Vultures!!

salesman that went along with me on the test ride was trying so hard to make the sale, I'm blowing him off and he's still laying it on thicker than S---. "This is a really great car"

"Yeah, no s---, that's why I'm test driving it smart guy!" I already had the engine and transmission specs and repair manuals plus a ton of other technical info, I knew about a 1000 times more about the vehicle than he did (it was at a Honda dealership actually!)

I almost came unglued a few times after I moved from North Carolina back to WA state, I had my truck serviced ONE TIME at the Fayetteville Toyota and they would call me at 6am about every other month waking me up telling me that I needed an oil change or some nonsense. I asked, demanded many times to be taken off of there list.

On about the 5th call I got irate and started swearing a lot and told them that even if I wasn't 3000 miles away and lived next door to them, I would drive to another state before I'd ever go back. stop pestering me!!!

vultures...
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Back in June 2012, when I was looking for a new car, I entered all the "required information" into the Kia website. It was the same with me, in about 2 minutes I got a call from a salesman at the local dealership. I will say this, the young man was very courteous when I explained that I was just looking and not really ready to buy at that moment. I asked for his name and told him that if and when I came to the dealer, I would ask for him.

I went to that dealership about a week later and bought a new Optima from him. About six weeks after that, I was in the market for another car so I went back to that dealer and bought a new Rio from him, also. I would have to disagree with the statement that all car salesmen are vultures. Most of them might be, but this young man impressed me highly.

Hell, we even did some gun trading on the day I bought the Optima.
  7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

just wait until the boat dealers find out you're looking for a new rig.

I liked the way saturn did it. no salesmen, just sales associates and not even a hint of pressure.

2 1/2 years ago when we bought our 99 Tahoe from a used lot I was very impressed. but it wasn't without a chuckle. my wife went in with the 96 Blazer and told them we need something bigger for the larger boat and boys getting bigger. they tried selling her a Caravan so she asked how well it would do at the boat ramp. "oh, you want a Tahoe or Yukon then". she replied "that's what I said at first because that's what my husband said to look for". after that it was without drama or pressure
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ah, they're not all vultures and they are just putting bread on their table even if they are doing high pressure. It's just funny to hear all the 'pitch'. I guess if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it...
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

After I posted this another Woman called she was from a well known dealer here in PA Cochran... They sell 14 makes of new vehicles and she was a very nice girl. We talked awhile and she found out I was looking for a GMC Terrain for my wife and said wait I have a 2013 with 7900 miles on it at only 27,990 2 year 30,000 mile warranty and 1 yeah 12,000 miles on the drive train. I told her I can buy a new one and get a 4 year warranty for another 1500 she said well we could sell you an extended warranty for 2100 and change I said then I may as well buy the new one. I think I had it with GMC and will be looking at the Kias. With a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty 10 year 100,000 on rust and a life time drive train I cant pass that up. I have all of this ladies information and will certainly buy from her if she can do me right in a price. I told her I was just looking right now and will make my mind up between Christmas and New Year. This way if the world ends I will be set lol.
  10. rosierita

rosierita New Member

i cannot stand to deal with salesmen. :rolleyes:

when we bought Troy's truck, our dealer friend still had his dealership. it was simple, i just called him, told him what we wanted, he found it, in the price range we wanted, no pressure. he's since sold his dealership, so next time around, we'll have to put up with some nonsense. :(
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What bothers me is the fact that they want to sell you a vehicle that is $10,000 below the sticker price. You know they are still making money on the lowered price, so how much mark up do they stick you with when you buy at the reduced price? Think about buying groceries, or anything else, with this pricing system!
  12. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

5 years from now, or even sooner, you will be happier with the Kia. that's not even counting the warranty. but I see the world from under the hood not from behind the wheel ;)
  13. clamman

clamman Member

You guys need to do what I do. For the phone number they need, give 'em somebody's FAX number!
  14. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I never buy a new vehicle either, if you want to save the most, buy one that's a year or two old; let some other sucker soak up the 'new' price!

using KBB as a guide for price will get you close to what the true value is (and the dealer didn't pay anything close to that either), we lucked out on my last one. It was right at blue book value and we negociated $1200 for new tires on top of that so not bad. And they still made a few grand.

I waited over a month for my check (they told me they would call, never did, amazing huh?) then went in and had a closed door sit down with the guy who sold it to us. Made it clear that I don't like dishonesty and had it not been for the check issue, it would have been a perfect experience. I thought about going in and making a scene but decided to remain professional and calm about the whole thing. Magically my check appeared within 5 minutes....
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Oh and my favorite line from him:

"We don't get to keep that money anyway, we weren't trying to stiff you"

"Uh, if you don't write a check for $1200 then you DO keep that money!"
  16. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

I'm lucky i have an aquatince that works at a dealership. I just tell him what i want, how manny miles, moter, everything. and what i'm willing to pay.What amenatyes I want.
    And he knows not to bother me till he finds somthing in my requierments.
    He did that with me the very first time we delt on a car.
    thats also why i keep going back to him.
    If they don't have what I want he goes and finds it.
  17. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

^^^
    can I get his name and #?
  18. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

Dave, east side ford.