The plastic recoil spring guide on a Beretta 92FS

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Michael Anderson, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member

Could anyone tell me why, when I am using a Beretta M9 in the Navy, the service models come with a metallic recoil spring guide (rod) vs. a plastic one on the new civilian 92FS model? Is it for the purpose of reducing its overall weight?

I just purchased a 92FS upon my return to civilian life, and noticed it comes with a plastic recoil spring guard. Has anyone encountered any problems with their Beretta with that piece being made of a plastic polymer, instead of one made of metal?

I'm wondering if I should order a metal one, to replace the plastic one, or should I be comfortable with the knowledge that it is no big deal?:confused:
  2. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

They use plastic ones in some models of SIG as well. That is one of the items I would change out. It will probably cause you no problems - BUT ...
  3. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The plastic ones are fine, the metal ones are better. Check your PM's I have sent you a note.

92s, within the limitations set by their size are first class weapons. The ally frame keeps the weight tolerable, while the open slide means very few if any jams. I have used the 92 when it fist came out, also the 92s, SB, F and FS for many thousands of rounds. Accurate and reliable.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

glocks have plastic recoil spring guides. on a beretta i would change it if i could. if it was me i would call or email beretta and tell them how disappointed i was and see if i could get one for free.

and thank you for serving, God bless you.

~john
  6. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member

Good info guys. Much appreciated.

I've been reading up on this here and in other forums. Beretta introduced the change from steel to plastic in 2003. It seems that the main benefit to a "fluted" plastic rod over a steel one, is that there would be less of a chance of the weapon getting "jammed," as a result of the accumulation of dirt or dust around the recoil spring. I suppose that's a good thing in a desert or dirty environment. And it is flexible, and thus less likely to bend or warp, but then again, never heard of a steel recoil spring guide bending or warping during normal use?

Aesthetically though, it sorta cheapens the weapon having plastic parts not necessary! :rolleyes: I am taking your recommendations for changing it out for a steel one. I'll keep the plastic one as a backup. Thanks.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

After reading the thread, I got curious and checked mine, the guide rod is metal. I bought mine 16 or 17 years ago. It seems to me like there would be less problems with a metal one over one made out of plastic!?!?!