The poor in America - How do they live?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45nut, Sep 13, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive never drawn unemployment or any sort of welfare benefits either. And im damn proud of it. Never been without a job either. I have always left one for a better one, no down time between and ive managed to prove myself valuable enough at each gig to dodge the layoffs that have happened. I have been very fortunate.
  2. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I also am OK and do all right. I am not "rich" by any stretch but comfortable. That is the most important thing is if you are comfortable. I have seen many families with 6 kids on low income who have little but are the happiest people in the world. It is not just the income level but the "comfort" factor.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Happiness is a state of mind! I grew up on welfare, so I know what it's like to be poor, and that is not what I am. I don't own an X Box, a big screen TV, or a lot of the things mentioned in the article. These people are trying to create a measuring stick, and that stick will be used against the people of the U.S.

The Great Depression is often called a “defining moment” in the twentieth-century history of the United States. Its most lasting effect was a transformation of the role of the federal government in the economy. The long contraction and painfully slow recovery led many in the American population to accept and even call for a vastly expanded role for government, though most businesses resented the growing federal control of their activities. The federal government took over responsibility for the elderly population with the creation of Social Security and gave the involuntarily unemployed unemployment compensation. The Wagner Act dramatically changed labor negotiations between employers and employees by promoting unions and acting as an arbiter to ensure “fair” labor contract negotiations. All of this required an increase in the size of the federal government. During the 1920s, there were, on average, about 553,000 paid civilian employees of the federal government. By 1939 there were 953,891 paid civilian employees, and there were 1,042,420 in 1940. In 1928 and 1929, federal receipts on the administrative budget (the administrative budget excludes any amounts received for or spent from trust funds and any amounts borrowed or used to pay down the debt) averaged 3.80 percent of GNP while expenditures averaged 3.04 percent of GNP. In 1939, federal receipts were 5.50 percent of GNP, while federal expenditures had tripled to 9.77 percent of GNP. These figures provide an indication of the vast expansion of the federal government’s role during the depressed 1930s.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/GreatDepression.html
  4. geds

geds New Member

You do realize that you pay unemployment insurance (not a tax) and that your employer also pays unemployment insurance for you? Taking unemployment benefits is no different than making a claim with your insurance agency on a wrecked car or damaged home. There is no shame (or shouldn't be) for any of those circumstances.

And to be proud that you suffered through by not making a claim you were entitled to is like saying I decided not to file a claim on my house that burned down because I can tough it out! You sacrificed for the benefit of the insurance company.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

Any thing that the Federal Government, or State Government, takes out of your check is a tax!
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Hunter is right - Rich or poor IS a state of mind.
    We've seen days when we had no money, back when I was an E3 in the service and we lived in the Alaskan economy.
    But the only time we were HUNGRY was during the Alaska flood after I had been discharged and had a civilian job. We had money then, but it was in the bank, under water, and the only food was that being SOLD by the American Red Cross. They would not take a check.
    I've been a lumberjack, pipefitter, repo-man, electrician, lab tech, retired as a Senior Design Engineer, and worked a dozen mundane jobs between those. I did what I had to do. Our kids were ELIGABLE for free lunches, we have been ELIGABLE for food stamps - but never took either, because we didn't need the help.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'n in the same boat here , i had to go to renew my veterans card , and the office stated i was eleigable for this that and the other , i explained that i get extra income from fox hides and other income ( no profits from SBGO yet but i supply the troops here free ) and do a bit here and there , some fencing for folks , gun repairs and if or when allowed , i'll make some more flinters for export ,

the welfare folks said they knew that and i was STILL eligible , no wonder the permanantly on welfare mob drive new cars ..

i eat better than most working folks i know thanks to hunting and gardening so i save money

i have way more fun as home made BP and ball is cheap ( mind you the raufoss stuff is like $13 a shot so thats a bit silly but ya gotta cut loose once in a while )

and a nice dinner at the RSL once or twice a month .. $25 a head or so ( plus a 1/2 bottle of wine for the Girly and maybe 3-4 schooners for myself so maybe $80 on a big night including the show )

i live pretty damn good ,

but i'm firmly in the belief the Good Lord honours me with this life ,

i'd hate to be one of these useless know nothing Godless cant work parasites who are perpetually broke ..
  8. texasred777

texasred777 New Member

When I stated that I had never filed for unemployment, I did NOT mean it as something to be 'proud' of doing. I just meant that I had never needed to file. As I said, I believe that about 2 weeks was the longest that I ever looked for a job before finding one. It was not like it is today. Jobs were scarce at times, but one could be found if you looked hard enough. I'm not certain about today's job market. It appears that openings for jobs are just not to be had. I hear of a job here and there, but most of the time it's in a larger city, instead of here in this smaller town.
    I wrote quite a bit about past conditions; now, let me update a little. My daughter became disabled in late '08, and her husband has been on disability of several years. She applied for disability in early '09 and was turned down twice. Finally she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It's bad enough that the only times she has been out of the house during the last 18 months or so has been for doctors visits, ER, and one court date. They were on the verge of losing their home in early '10 after the phone was disconnected and threats to turn off the lights, water, and gas were being received. We saw a way to possibly save things by pooling our resources, so I moved in with them. Everything worked out wonderfully. We managed to pay all the back bills and have plenty to eat. Last June, my daughter was awarded disability and things have greatly improved. We added another bedroom and a handicapped bathroom; got enough parts together to build each of us a computer. I have my daughter's computer connected to the tv so she can watch tv or 'compute' using the tv as her monitor. About the only activities she had before was tv and word-find puzzles. This has really opened up a whole new world for her. We still don't have money to do a lot of the things that we would like to do; BUT, we're not going hungery, have good shelter, clothing, transportation, and each other. No, we're not 'poor', just a little finacially handicapped when it comes to buying some of the things that we 'want', not 'need'. Red
  9. herohog

herohog New Member

We went from "Comfortable" (just under 100k/year combined income) to "All but homeless" over night December 17, 2009. I became disabled and we lost our home, SUV and everything we could sell. Our only income was the pittance my wife made as a Nanny and the whopping 10% disability I was drawing from the VA as an E4 ($123/month).

After a year and several months, we have my VA disability increased to 20% and we FINALLY got Social Security Disability at 100% which, along with what my wife makes at $10/hour sitting with the elderly/ill is JUST enough to live on but there is NO slack and we aren't saving a dime and our saving account is at a whopping $10.02.

In the time it took to get my Social Security, we lived with whoever could put us up. For several months that included living in a storage area with no windows, no A/C and the only heat was provided by tiny electric space heaters. We used a portable toilet as well and had no bathtub but did have a shower.

If it weren't for the VA, I wouldn't be here. They provide my meds and all of my health care which is significant. Back when I was employed and had good insurance, I was spending better than $15,000 a year out of pocket on myself alone.

I know poor. I know how bad our healthcare system is. I know how corrupt our government is. I know how people cheat "the system" and live well where an honest guy like myself is left to starve and rot for following the rules...
  10. Juker

Juker New Member

It's not how much money we have - it's how we spend it.

"Never equate money with success. The world abounds with wealthy people who are miserable failures as human beings."

The problem in this world of entitlement is that if you don't have a big screen, Xbox, smartphone, etc., you're poor, and you're certainly entitled to have those things, right? Well, I'm not poor, and I don't have them. I just don't want them.

And I look at actors and singers and "athletes" making millions per year, and so many of their lives are a complete trainwreck. Wouldn't trade my life for theirs for any amount of money, nossiree.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

About the same story here herohog. I grew up on welfare, I do know what poor is, but I never saw myself as poor. I've lost everything I owned several times, and had to dig deep, and start over. It ain't always easy, but it is what any self respecting person would do.
  12. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

i am one of the richest poor people I know. people don't have enough money for what they want not what they need. It does not cost a fortune to survive, it does cost a lot to live outside your means.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

WRONG! Unemployment tax is a tax.

The Federal Government will admit, when pressed, that they are not constitutionally permitted to create an insurance program. Instead, they have a tax system, and a wholly separate but suspicious-looking system of payments to individuals. This is the position that the government argued in the 1960 Supreme Court Case Flemming v. Nestor. There is no contractual agreement between the taxpayer and the government; nothing is ever "owed" to the taxpayer. It's not an insurance. It's a tax, the proceeds of which are then used to provide for the general welfare of unemployed people across the nation.
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

That's one of the wisest sayings I've ever read.
  15. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Twice on that!!!
    Glen