The Post Office is wading into the gun control debate.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Apr 4, 2008.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Post Office Ban On Mailing Replica Or Inert Munitions

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    http://www.gunowners.org

Friday, April 4, 2008

The Post Office is wading into the gun control debate.

That's right, the U.S. Postal Service is trying to keep people from shipping
    replica or inert munitions through the mail.

They have no authority in the law, since Congress has kept for itself the
    power to decide what can and cannot be shipped. But the Post Office is
    trying to say that replica or inert munitions are hazardous!

Gun Owners of America's attorneys just found out about this outrageous
    proposal which was issued by the Post Office. Although the deadline for
    postmarking is Monday, April 7, our attorneys say that e-mails and letters
    should be sent anyway.

If you are a re-enactor or collector of replica or inert munitions, you are
    in the Post Office crosshairs. If you are not directly involved in this,
    you should still be outraged that a bunch of bureaucrats are trying to
    further restrict Second Amendment activity.

By the way, there is one interesting dimension to all of this: Canada wants
    the US to help shut off shipment of these items into Canada. So it looks
    like our bureaucrats are eager to appease other governments by changing our
    laws to make them as bad as our neighbors'.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't get how this even makes sense in ANYONE'S mind... doesn't replica mean something like "realistic toy"? I don't say this to degrade anyone who reenacts. I just mean that the USPS is banning something because it appears similar to something else?
    If it's in a box, how they even tell what it looks like without violating the Fourth Amendment?
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

So you can ship real ammo through the mail, but the fake stuff has got to go?
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

This is USPS only. Long live the free market and the availability of competition!!!

(in the form of FedEx, UPS, DHL, and other private carriers that come through for us).

P.S. My understanding was USPS doesn't ship any ammunition, and maybe even firearms? Have to go via one of the private carriers. I could be way off on that though so don't take my word for it.
  5. obxned

obxned New Member

Why would you trust the USPS with the successful delivery of anything of value? There are plenty of competent shipping companies that welcome our business.
  6. artabr

artabr New Member

I don't think they ship live ammo. With the threat of mail bombs and the likes, I'd ship with somebody else. With my luck my mail would set of some kinda' explosive detection device and get the Feds panties all in a knot. :eek: :D

Art
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  7. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

No, you can't ship live ammo through the mail. I tried and was not allowed to do so. The Post Office will ship rifles. Fed Ex will ship ammo however, as well as rifles.
    Interestingly, Swarovski will not allow their scopes to be be shipped by the Post Office, but will ship them by UPS.

Don
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have had two recent negative experiences with the USPS.

During the Xmas rush the USPS delievery person, on their own, decided not to delieve my mail, or anyone's for that matter, to a residence where the guy did a side business. They just stopped all his mail and my letter to him came back adressee unknown. The guy lived in the same place for over 20 years! He had to go to the post office to get it straighten out.

Recently a tracked package that was suppose to be left if no one was home gave me a tracking message via the internet that they tried to delive my package at a time when I was home and that I had to go to the post office to pick it up. Went to the post office and guess what? They could not find the package and could not reach the mail carrier to find out if it was on the mail truck.... they don't even provide mobile phones for these carriers!

When I asked the supervisor how a tracked package, for which I had paid a premium to have tracked, could be:
    1). lost
    2). not delivered when no signature was required
    3). have wrong tracking info in his system
    ...his response was a blank stare and a promise to call me later. He never called and the package was found delivered that day on my door step.

Remember when you had to show them the contents of a package if it was bigger than a certain size? That was just a few years ago. I haven't seen them doing that lately.

While USPS has lower rates they most certainly do not offer services to match the commercial carriers like UPS and FEDEX. I particularly like UPS but that could be because my driver is so good.

LDBennett
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

People ship ammo and inert ammo through the mail? Usually I have 'em shipped via UPS.
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

My faith in the USPS has been kinda' shaken since when I asked a clerk how long it would take a letter to arrive. In responce she laughing and said "It might never get there". Hello FedEx. :mad:

ART
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

For a second I thought you were just typing my experience!

Apparently we have to shovel the snow around our mailbox (excuse me for being from Seattle I was unaware) so the driver put a note to do so. One of the kids (or maybe adults :rolleyes:) in our neighborhood wrote "Fu*k you" on the note, and the driver just decided to stop delivering our mail for 2 weeks!!! Plus the snow plow comes through in the middle of the day when everyone is it work (since I would assume one of those 20 people knew we were supposed to shovel heh) and pushes all the snow right up to the box. *sigh*

I understand some little **** probably pissed the driver off, but what the hell, that's 1 person out of 20 boxes... I need my mail for WORK, I had **** lost, companies had to re-send their media packages to me, it was a nightmare. I am very non-confrontational and every day I went to the post office to pick up our mail I chewed out the clerk that this was simply unacceptable.
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Next will be T-Shirts with a picture of a gun on it. Them we will be sooo politically correct.