the price of gas

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

longshot1
    (11/20/01 8:16:17 am)
    | Del All the price of gas
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While browsing past posts, I read one concerning the use of C/S gas, which reminded me of a long forgotten occurrence. Although I can't remember where, possibly on the other side of the border, we encountered a large number of Northern troops. You know the type, not Chucky but Sir Charles. Having prior knowledge of their location, one of the "those" fellows showed up the day before with various cases of "irritant" gas grenades. Although I'm hazy on this I believe what they did was take a Huey hog, with the two 24 tube rocket pods and filled each tube with the grenades, with pins pulled. While talking with this man, in fatigues with no patches etc, he stated their info. was that these particular troops were in fact equipped with gas masks. As such he had a mixture of gases in each tube. I think it was 6 to 8 grenades per tube x 48. The first gas to hit the ground was said to cause vomiting , which resulted in having to remove one's gas mask and upon doing that, he inhaled the full mixture. Try and hold your breath when calling Earl, it can't be done. Anyway, as this is getting too long. We did the low slow recon by fire and the bushes were suddenly alive with return fire and flying parts is parts. We peeled off and the Hog made a pass dumping all 300 + gas grenades in one continuous line. All return fire ceased immediately, and the next pass we made drew no fire what so ever, which made me happy as I had enough holes to patch as it was.
    Anyone else have any experience with using gas over there? Heard they used it once in a while but never saw it.
    NickG

dirty423
    (11/23/01 6:34:36 am)
    | Del Re: the price of gas
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Anyone else have any experience with using gas over there?

Only once. We rolled through a ville just north of Cu Chi and there was enough in the air to notice a little irritation. We heard some straight legs had been using it nearby on some tunnels. I once got some CS rounds for my M-79 but never used them.
    The point of the spear

berto64
    (11/25/01 6:33:00 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: the price of gas
    Not gas but we used to toss WP on targets from Night Hawk
    choppers. We'd draw fire in the low ship and the high ship would zero in on them. Then it was an adrenaline thing, now it's a fond memory.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/26/01 5:06:40 pm)
    | Del Gas
    Nick;
    The first type of gas was called simply "nausea gas" the second would be CS or CN.
    CN is an older, milder gas used as an irritant. It was commonly called tear gas, the CS is a more modern and far better irritant.
    The nausea gas or vomit gas is old fashioned and potentially lethal. The vomiting is so severe that people choke to death on their own vomit. Tactically the stranger was correct, the vomit gas would make them take off their masks. But what would be the point if you are only going to drop an irritant?
    If you are successful in making them take off the mask you gain very little since they will recover from the CS very quickly. The CS has a 50% lethality rate at 50,000 parts per million in earth atmosphere. this is a far higher concentration than that which can be achieved with riot grenades. 50% lethality rate means that 50% of all mammalian life is extinguished at a given concentration.
    This is the format that is used to determine the lethality of chemical agents.
    We did use CS in the tunnels and also used the riot grenade type to deny access to an area. te riot grnades are plastic baseball shaped devices which exude a white powder. It will deny use of an area for at least 8 hours. i never used or saw vomit gas overseas. It IS available in the arsenal of riot control units and you can get it if you have the clout.
    Mike H

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/26/01 5:17:08 pm)
    | Del Gas
    Nick;
    The NVA had gas masks in early 68 in the central highlands. We had recovered many gas masks from their KIA. They use a small two piece mask made in Czecholslovakia (sp) The regular one piece US gas mask is too big for their face, so it won't seal. The gas masks were green rubber type with separate goggles and mouthpiece/filter. They were of high quality. We were often surprised at the high quality gear the NVA had available. They have only one AK47 per every three soldiers but at least it worked. They would fight in shifts with each new shift transferring the rifle to the fresh troops. We had only one shift compared to their three shifts so fatigue as a big factor for us.
    MikeH

berto64
    (11/26/01 8:53:03 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Gas
    106RR,
    Thanks for that tidbit on the NVA working teams with one rifle. Don't remember ever hearing that before, course I was in the Delta all the time, more chuck than Sir Charles down there.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere