The Puckle Gun

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by TranterUK, Mar 30, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Ok military history gun people, how about a Puckle Gun with an 11 round magazine, designed and built in 1718, and its a flint lock! Not odd enough for you? It could fire round bullets for Christians and square bullets for Muslims, go figure..

Attached Files:

2. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Dem square buulits got pork?
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

thats really interesting tranter....but square bullets? what gives? you just yankin our chain?:confused: that dont seem plauseable
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

It is true, look carefully at the magazine in the fore ground of the picture at the top, and the original drawing below. I have no idea how they were tight in the barrel though?

The history of guns can be just as interesting as anything modern.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

maybe im just a stupid yank but....why must the muslims be shot with a square bullet? i think a round one kills em just the same:eek::cool:
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I read about this in A Comic History of Bullets in one of my books.
    Absolute fact. Weird as it seems, it seems it is OK to SHOOT Christians, but they had to be done in with only round bullets -

Now, those CLOVER LEAF shaped bullets - were they only for the Irish?
  7. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I'm still stuck on "Puckle"!
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

When in use, it was a pickle gun.
    Now that it is historic, it goes to the past tense of Pickle, which is puckle.

:D

Now, for the REAL story of the name -
    Tranter?
  9. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Seems like I read somewhere that the square bullets caused massive gaping wounds, whereas, the round were considered more humane. (Isn't that why modern armies are supposed to use FMJ's? Think so).The Muslims of the time, I believe, were considered sub-human and not deserving of a humane death, hence the square bullets. Christian foes deserved to die more humanely with round bullets.

...or maybe I'm yanking your chain!!

Nah, I think I really did read this somewhere.
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You have it, the square bullets were supposed to cause more painfull wounds, the round ones, less painful. Remember this was 1720 odd, times were different, the Muslim world was seen as a threat to the western Judao Christian one.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  12. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

LOL, it STILL is! :eek::D:eek:
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

You're forgetting. Those days are over, he who shall quell all conflict has been selected to lead the free world. :rolleyes: :D

Art
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Once upon a time, the belief was that devout Christians were not supposed to "shed the blood" of other Christians and thus only rounded (not edged or pointed) weapons should be used by them. In the Crusades this meant the clergy went to war, but were armed with blunt trauma weapons like maces. This was very humane of them, considering they were fighting "pagan infidel types."
    I know, I know. Busting someone's skull with a metal club will make them bleed from every orifice in their head. Apparently it was the intent that counted.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Look underneath the tripod, on the drawing. "Invented by Mr. James Puckle, 1718". Just like the Colt gun was named after Mr. Colt, and the Glock gun was named after Mr. Glock, the Puckle gun was named after Mr. Puckle.