The question my first handgun.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rugermanws, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I am from the old school that you need to crawl before you can walk. Why would anyone not start off with a 22 rimfire? Practice makes perfect and what better choice than a .22 rimfire. It's the only cost effective cartridge left these days. What used to cost 2 cents a shot is now close to a nickel and you still can shoot most of the day for under $100 dollars. The decision is whether one is ok with a semi auto for their first gun. What I mean is just because you remove the clip doesn't mean the gun is empty, that mistake doesn't have a minimum or maximum age limit to it. Used guns in this caliber are very affordable and rarely abused. My biggest regret was trading in my 22 Colt Diamondback on a 44 mag Super Blackhawk because I was bored shooting it. The Colt was one of three 22's I had and the one I got the most money for on the trade. It would have looked good next to my 6 inch Python in Royal blue. Talk about a discussion, "boy I wish I still had my ........ "
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My first handgun was a .22 SIG Mosquito. I still have it, and I still like it. It's still the one I shoot the most.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

First gun I ever shot was a Smith & Wesson 629 .44 Magnum. First gun I ever owned was an RIA 1911 .45. But yes, .22's are good starters.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

My first handgun was a Smith & Wesson 422. I still enjoy it and used it in pistol league last summer, with excellent results (not bad even at 50 yards).
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

My first handgun was a Ruger MK II 5 1/2 inch bull barreled target model. I too sold it but I missed it after a few years. It got passed (sold) around between a couple of co-worker and disappeared in time to another state. I then bought a better replacement: The Ruger Government Model MK II. Its better than my original and satisfies my need to return to the beginning.

I have many handguns now, both rimfire and centerfire. Now if I could just find my JC Higgins single shot, bottom of the line, 22 rifle my dad and I bought at Sears in the 1950's. Mine disappeared years ago with no one in the family knowing where it went. A replacement would be fine... but it would only be nostalgia as I have many rifles too.

LDBennett
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

My first .22 handgun is a Walther P22. Still got it. The lady friends love to shoot it, except my wife, nnnooooo she has to shoot my S&W 14-2, my actual first handgun. Most .22 handguns are good. There are some problematic ones also like the Beretta Neos, never shot one that didn't jamb or eject right, therefore I never bought one.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My first handgun was a Ruger SecuritySix with 6" barrel. It was sold to make way for some new guns. I'm not too sentimental about many firearms, just my Sigs and the the first gun I ever bought, my .410 H&R when I was 10.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Most folks today don't think of learning in stages. They want to get a driver's license and enter the Monte Carlo Gran Prix the next day. And they want to imitate the latest movie or TV gunsel, and you never see a super macho movie hero using a .22.

So they start with a great beginner's gun like a .500 S&W and wonder why they develop a lifetime flinch.

Jim
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Semi auto is okay for a first gun. I mean with ANY gun you have to know what you are doing. I just say learn about them before getting one. That's what I did. Took a handgun training course, and at least it will teach you the basics on how to handle it, safety, etc. First gun and only gun I currently own is a 1911 .45. Doesn't matter what you start with, just stress safety and knowledge above ALL else.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I'm in favor of starting with a .22 handgun for all the usual reasons .... lower cost, low ammo prices, low recoil. I'm torn between auto or revolver since there are some very good .22 automatics on the market.

Jim K - good comment !
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

I say start with a good target 22. Then on to a mild recoiling centerfire like a 38SPL/357. Once you have mastered those two you'll be ready for almost anything else.

But if you really want to learn to shoot, then buy a book on how to do it right and practice every day. Every day? How do you do that? Think air guns.

Buy a good adult air pistol of known accuracy (Like RWS, or any in the same price class) and shoot a little each day. You only need 10 meter (30 feet) and a pellet trap. That is easily doable in any garage. And if you never miss the trap, in your living room.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?cmd_category=show&category_id=5

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Heavy_Duty_Metal_Trap/1026

It is an investment and it works, if you want to become an excellent target shooter. It worked for me many years ago. It took about a year of air guns and weekly trips to the indoor range but the results were real and very good indeed. Practice is the key.

LDBennett
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

love the walther p22 which is my 2nd gun 1st beretta short
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

my recommendation is to get advise from a shooter, not on what type of gun, but on how to hold it, how to stand, and so on. technique. if you know anyone into shooting ask them if they'll let you try out a few guns. try the 22 first then a 9mm or 38 special. then move up. if you are comfortable with it after trying it, then i say buy a centerfire and practice your stance and grip and dry firing it every day. dry firing of course is done with no bullets in the gun.
  14. BobMilek

BobMilek New Member

I think the first question to ask is what you want the first handgun for. If for general fun, plinking, or small game hunting, the .22 is a great choice. If the first, however, is for self defense or cc, it makes no sense whatsoever. The best part of the first handgun, though, no matter what cartridge it's chambered for, is that it leads to the second, which leads to the third, which leads.......
    Bob Milek
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My first handgun was a Security Six with a 6" BBL and the second one was a Single Six with the two cylinders. I traded off the security six but still have the 22.
  16. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

If you are really worried about Safety get a Bersa Thunder .380 they have a Mag Safety where the gun won't shoot without a mag in it.

Look on Bersa.com maybe their .22 has a mag safety also.