The Firearms Forum banner

The "Russian Scout" passes the test...

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  southernshooter 
#1 ·
...maybe with a C+/B-, But I think I'll keep it.

The GREAT news...after almost 100 rounds through it today, the mount is STILL tight...the surgery WORKED.

But the accuracy? NOT a "tack driver," BUT....

I shot over 40 rounds surplus Albanian at 25 sighting it in. I had enough elevation in the mount, which was my main worry, but I got all rounds finally centered dead on, into about 1" consistantly. While no one-holers, at LEAST it was consistant shoit to shot, not like the last two trips.

Then I went to 100, and with GREAT expectation, shot two 5 shot groups...and when I went to check, one was about 5", the other 6"... :mad: but at least centered.

So I checked my rest, got it really secured, got situated, concentrated, breath, squeeze and tried again. This time a 2 1/2 and a 3" 5 shot group, centered about 3=4" high, which is where I wanted it, elevation wise.

THEN it got confusing...

I switched to the WW 180 grain, and fired two 3 shot groups...one was LESS than 1 1/2" the other had two within an inch, with one flyer about 2 1/2 inches from the farthest, BUT....BOTH groups were about 5 to 6" LEFT of center!?!?!?!? But elevation fine!

SO I crank in 24 clicks, and fire my last three WW...and right on! two wthin 1 1/2". one called flyer (jerked it) the two were 3 " high, dead on windage.

BUT get this...I switched BACK to surplus, took my time and shot the BEST group I possibly could, and shot the best surplus 100 yd group ever...all 5 into 3". BUT 4 of the 5 actually into less than 2"...HOWEVER, this group was centered about 4" high, and get this, 6" RIGHT of center!?!?!?!

I split the difference, put 12 clicks LEFT, and fire another 5 shots (didn't hold as tight, I felt) , still 4" high, about 3 inch group, one flyer (had a split case again, think it was the flyer) CENTERED again...

Mount is still tight as a drum, absolutely NO movement...

IS IT POSSIBLE that two different bullet weights/manufacturers can shoot to different WINDAGES???? I've had differences in elevation, and group size, but never WINDAGE before....HHHmmmm...

I finished with two stripper clips fairly rapid fire (not as fast as I could, but squeeze whenever the reticle is roughly centered, work the bolt as fast as possible) and ended up with 9 of 10 shots into 4 1/2" centered about 2" right, about 4" high, with one jerked about 10" high, centered...

Mount is STILL tight, so THAT part is licked anyway.

At least I know the setup IS capaple of repeatable 1 1/2" groups at 100.

It also apparently prefers heavier bullets.

It does NOT like to switch between surplus and WW...

But overall, I'm pretty pleased.

Here's the lowdown...

Barreled action cost - $19.95
Stock - $47.95
NC Star 4x LER lighted reticle Scope and mount - $80
Mechanical skill/effort rating needed to mount it up originally - EASY/basic tool skills, however it SHOT LOOSE!

Mechanical skill/ effort needed to make the MOUNT work, Moderate/Moderate (drill press and tapping work)

The final product I have now I believe would be a decent "Brush Gun" for whitetails. With a little handloading work, I think it would even be capable of consistant 1 1/2" MOA accuracy.

And it was FUN! And what the heck, if I WANTED A/A+, I would have bought a $800 M700 with a Leupold package right???? What fun is THAT, any moron can do THAT!!!! :D :) :cool:

But I NO LONGER recommend the brass cased Albanian surplus! At LEAST the stuff in a gray spam can! My first can of it a year or so ago (shiny dark green can, late 80s dates) was GREAT. But this SECOND can (light "primer" gray, early 8Os dates) SUCKS. Two split cases so far, BIG variance in case rim thickness, some cases feed like butter, others you have to use various pressure to close the bolt, sometimes have to FORCE the bolt closed, feeding/stripper issues etc.

The WW cases (S&B actually) fed like BUTTER consistently.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Glad it worked out (sorta kinda) for you Polish. I'm certain that nameless Ivan who was originally issued the rifle to pot the occasional German would be proud. In my experience, yes, different bullet weights and manufacturers can radically affect point of impact. You might want to try a box of modern commerically loaded ammo and see if that gives you more consistant performance.

#3 ·
The Winchester Western stuff I'm shooting is really new, in fact they only started selling it a couple of years ago. They also list 180 SPs for it also, now, but at the time I bought these two boxes it was new on the market, and all they had was the 180 FMJ. I paid $9.99 a box for it, but now it's like $12.99/box of 20, but I still see the S&B for like $8.99 to $9.99 at shows.

It DID give the best groups, so I'm going to pick up some Sellior and Bellot stuff next show to save a few bucks, it's the same stuff actually.

I'm also going to try some of that Igman reloadable boxer primed stuff SOG or AIM has advertised for like $5.99/box, it is 204gr SP, so MAYBE if it likes the heavier bullets, it will like them also, AND I will then have my deer load too!

And I'm going to pick up a set of Lee dies for it next show too, and start experimenting...after all, I might have TWO "tack driver" scoped M44s in a week or so...

Have you shot your M44 yet? Be sure to shoot it with the bayonet folded and then with it extended and compare...I never believed it when I heard they were "sighted to hit with bayonet extended" and POI changed with it folded, until I tried it! (Come to think of it, maybe THAT is my problem! ;) )

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah, when I think back that that mount STARTED with just two teeny cap screws screwed into the aluminum mount attaching it to the sight base pivot pin holes like a teeter totter, and two 1/4" set screws forcing DOWN on the rifle in front and behind the pivot, and not evenly spaced, to bind it, and two even TEENIER set screws to keep the bigger set screws from backing out, it's no WONDER the darn thing shot loose from the beginning.

And NOW, with TWO 3/16" machine screws and bolts holding it, attached to the rifle and the stiff metal reinforcements on either side, which are both now screwed to the rifle too, well, "it's come a long way, baby!"

The ONLY way I could improve it now, and I may still do it, is to pull it all apart again and this time polish (not POLISH :p ) the reinforcing plates really smooth and give it a NICE blueing, and maybe go with longer machine screws so I can fit a lock washer on them...or else loctite them, since I forgot when I put it together...

And I got an email from the "Bolt Man" tonight, said he's behind on his bolt work because he had an operation on his shoulder, but he should have it ready to ship in a week or two, so I start it all over again with the Pole pretty soon! It's getting jealous sitting in the Gun rack all naked, with no sights, seeing the Russian having all the fun...

G
#6 ·
Polish, had I read your recent posts as much as two months ago, I would by no means have fully understood your intense enthusiasm for the project that comes across so strongly in your words. Now that I have my C&R and have completed a couple of projects myself, I do indeed understand. To put it accurately, if bluntly, I don't think I've had so much fun with my clothes on in at least 30 years! :D It's not the monetary value of the rifle one builds, nor even the sense of history in the rifle--though that is there too--that really matters. Instead, it is the satisfaction of building something that is an intensely personal expression of one's self, and the pride of accomplishment it creates. I do think, however, that BTAF&E should classify the CRFFL as an addictive substance and put a warning label on the license! :D

#7 ·
Yeah, PS, I think my wife is starting to develop more appreciation for the 'puter recently, if I didn't have all of you guys to talk to, SHE would have to listen to ALL (not just SOME) of my lunatic obsessive compulsive ramblings and ravings about these "projects..." :p :D :D :D

G
#8 ·
polishshooter said:
Yeah, PS, I think my wife is starting to develop more appreciation for the 'puter recently, if I didn't have all of you guys to talk to, SHE would have to listen to ALL (not just SOME) of my lunatic obsessive compulsive ramblings and ravings about these "projects..." :p :D :D :D
It would seem we share yet another thing in common Polish. :D Sandy, my wife of 29 years, learned long ago that when I start playing with my "toys" it is time for her to go find a "chick flick" on the boob tube, otherwise she is in for a long lecture on calibers, ammo performance, or some other gun-related subject in which she has little if any interest. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, she likes to shoot the damn things, but she just doesn't give a shout in hell about all the technicalities. To her, there is little difference between a .223 and a 30-06 except that the '06 makes a louder "bang." She doesn't care how I got the scope sighted in, only that the rifle puts a hole in the center of the target if the crosshairs are lined up properly. I try to explain, I really do, but, alas, her ears are closed to my no doubt useful ramblings. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.