The Saga of a Warn Winch...

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by warpig, Mar 3, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

NeoDebo
    (6/20/01 6:00:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All The Saga of a Warn Winch...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use 4x4 Toyota trucks for my off-road and hunting vehicles. I bought a new Warn winch for my truck in 1980. I wore out several trucks (which, in itself, is HARD to do) before the fine Warn winch finally quit. I am NOT faulting the winch, rather, it is a GREAT tool. Over a twenty year period and several trucks, I simply wore it out.

I took my Warn winch to Dixie Off Road, Cullman, AL, who represented themselves to be a factory authorized repair station for Warn, for repairs. It turned out that Dixie was not affiliated with Warn at all. Dixie Off Road lied when they represented themselves to be a factory authorized repair station for Warn Winches. They knew almost nothing about rebuilding Warn winches. Dixie Off Road completely ruined my winch and they would not attempt to complete the repairs.

I contacted Warn directly and explained my problem. Warn sent a pick-up order to UPS who came to my door, picked up the ruined winch, and shipped it all the way across the country to Warn. Warn then completely rebuilt my winch, including a new motor and control box with cable, and shipped it back to me. It is difficult to tell the rebuilt winch from a new one. All this cost me not a single cent--Warn even paid for the shipping in both directions.

The customer care and service demonstrated by Warn here is almost unheard of today. Where else can one go this day and time to get service like this? Is this customer service or what?

I was dumbfounded at the sincere and extreme effort that Warn made to rectify my problem.

I give an F to Dixie Off Road, Cullman, AL.

I give an A+ to Warn for their wonderful customer service, as well as for having the best off-road winches going today.

Edited by: NeoDebo at: 6/20/01 7:01:01 pm

tuckerd1
    (6/20/01 6:27:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: The Saga of a Warn Winch...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is great to hear of companies which stand behind their products so strongly!!

Thanks for letting us know!!

NeoDebo, Where are you located. I live in Phenix City, Al.

NeoDebo
    (6/20/01 7:13:06 pm)
    I am one of them semi-snow birds.

My legal place of residence is Montana, but I also have a place in Lynn, AL, which is about 80 miles northwest of Birmingham.

I spend time at both places.

I am building (literally--me--with my own hands--no help) a house in Lynn. Lately, I have spent too much time here. It's getting way too hot...

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/20/01 8:56:18 pm)
    Debo - time to go back to Montana for awhile - it can't be as hot as AL.

Though on second thoughts we're in the 90's today and looking at possibly 100 tomorrow here in Boise - so go figure.

Warren winch's are good - and the dealer stands behind them 110%.

AntiqueDr
    (6/20/01 9:01:07 pm)
    Dang!

I thought you wrote "Saga of a WARM WENCH"

I have got to get new glasses...

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

NeoDebo
    (6/20/01 10:25:41 pm)
    Re: Antique

Oh yes, I gots me one of them air warm wenches too. An' this 'un kin cook good! 'Specially baked 'possum with sweet taters an' wild onions.

I sho' is proud of her. Dunno what a good woman like that ever seen in the likes o' me...

Back to the Warn Winch: This was one of the best implements that I ever bought, bar none. It is an 8,000 lb job, and I do believe that it would pull my little Toyota truck up in a tree.

Pullin' a truck up in a tree reminds me of a movie that I once saw called "The Gods Must Be Crazy". Laughed my a** off at that one.

Re: TLynn

Idaho is one fine state. I like it mighty well. I used to hunt the southern Bitterroots on the Montana side down around Hamilton and Trapper Peak, but I suspicion that I strayed over into Idaho a time 'er two.

Edited by: NeoDebo at: 6/20/01 11:30:16 pm

TallTLynn
    (6/20/01 10:52:12 pm)
    Debo,

Oh I'm sure you strayed a time or two into Idaho. And yes I happen to be very partial to my state and love it dearly.

But Montana has some mighty fine points as well.

kdubaz
    (6/21/01 3:35:13 pm)
    Think you probably sent the winch (as opposed to Wench, AD!) to Warn in Tulsa, Ok didn't you, Debo?

Used to live in the area years ago and drove past their place going and coming from work each day. They had some nice facilities there and had a reputation of taking care of their employees.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

NeoDebo
    (6/21/01 8:23:18 pm)
    Re: kdubaz

Naw, I sent it to somewhere in Washington State. I disremember the town, however.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (6/22/01 11:38:03 am)
    Debo, I would hope you sent a letter to the company telling them this as they always hear from the disgruntled, but very rare is the compliment. I have had some excellent service from: GTO: Gate openers, Springfield (pistols and rifles), Ruger(pistols and rifles) DSA, rifles.....and the list goes on. Some remember who the customer is, some don`t....I will equally defend or offend as needed. Glad to hear of another good one as they also go in my book. Thanks LTS

NeoDebo
    (6/22/01 11:50:45 am)
    Re: LTS

I did all that already. I bragged on 'em good!

Warn makes a good winch. Me, my Toyota 4x4, and my Warn Winch, have pulled a bunch of folks out of ditches, including a loaded tractor/trailer and several trucks with horse trailers that slid off icy Montana back country roads. I tie a chain to the stuck vehicle, then secure the hook end of my winch to a tree or other suitable anchor via two or three "snatch blocks" (pulleys). I ain't seen nothing that I couldn't pull out this way.

Some of the folks drivin' the big Ford 4x4's are mighty embarassed by all this, but, hey, gettin' pulled out by a Toyota is better than stayin' stuck in the snow!

Needless to say, I have never been stuck so badly that I couldn't get out by using the winch and "snatch blocks". It sho' beats the fire out of some of the little "toys" that one sees on some rigs.