1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

The secret of doing it well...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TranterUK, Mar 13, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Had a compliment recently, how do you get good at something? they asked. One way and one way only that I know of, I said: experiance.

Shooting? Shoot different guns at different distances and types of target as often as time and money will allow. Shot moving targets like clays, (it will repay you with snap shooting a rifle). Static targets, once, three times, slow fire, rapid fire. Borrow other peoples guns (with their permmision!) get to try revolvers, autos, various calibres, whatever. Get some instruction.

It's a fantastic hobby that may save your life one day, get as much experiance as possible, like most things there is no short cut!

There..I feel better now. :)
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

When I was competing at long distance I was shooting about 1000 rounds a month. I was shooting 1000yard competition before I was a teenager, iron sights (aperature) against 'scopes and embarrassing some of the adult members. :D

Experience and repetition. Just make what you are repeating is correct.

Pops
  3. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Secret is having done it wrong, you realize it and then do it right.
    Doing it right first time is what happens when you've done a few wrong, and lived to tell.
    Babies learn to walk by falling on face, and find rear is better suited then Falling on rear gets tiring.
    Some learn there's no harm in asking, to learn from others experience, some insist on learning in spite of others experience!
    I'm new to the site but love it, so much common sense concentrated in one place, when it is so scarce everywhere else.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

As an Israeli friend once said to me, 'the trouble with common sense is its not so common'.

Good man, founded Fobus!
  5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I started in small bore comps at age 8. I had an old WWII mouser youth rifle with some custom work. At age 12 I did some trap shooting at some local comps around Ohio. I have had my hands on some very nice and very expensive guns. I have fire just about all sizes and bore's a man can mention. I have a modest collection of firearms ranging from new to old and from useless to rare. Almost all my firearms are n working order,I would not be afraid to fire any of these with the exception of some old shotgus. I aree with you Tranter that a man should never turn down the opertunity to familiarize himself with all kind of diffrent firearms, you never know what you are gonn be faced with in the future.
  6. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I've been shooting since I was able to hold my dads .22 handgun, so since I was about 3