The "Silent Majority"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NRA_guy, Aug 5, 2012.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

I've been thinking some more about the recent Chick-Fil-A thing and how we got there.

I sense that the public turn-out supporting Chick-Fil-A struck fear in the hearts of liberals everywhere.

For decades (I think it was Spiro Agnew who popularized the term) we have been hearing and taking comfort in the fact that we are the "Silent Majority".

It has occurred to me that in today's political world, silence gets ignored.

Silence gets construed to mean acquiescence---because it is.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease---and the politicians' attention, and the news coverage.

We "know" that a majority of Americans favor conservative values, but the vocal minority frequently prevails.

This is largely because we have JOBS and we have to go to work every day, we are unorganized, we are sometimes lazy, we are reticent to speak out and write letters, we depend upon others to finance conservative organizations, we put our faith in "the system".

We might watch some FoxNews and listen to some talk radio, but that's about the extent of our effort.

And, yes, I pay my NRA and GOA dues. I am waiting on Romney to announce his VP running mate to give any money to the Republicans.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The term has been in use for centuries. Until (relatively) recently, it referred to the dead. References to the term being used for the majority of voters go back to the 1800s. Nixon got his use of it from John F. Kennedy's book Profiles in Courage,
    I first heard the term applied to my generation (1940s-1950s coming of age) in about 1960.

I recently purchased a dozen lapel pins which say:

Silent Majority ... No More

I put them on the table at the TEA Party rally beside the donation bucket. They were gone in less than an hour.

We are not as silent right now as we once were.

Pops
  3. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

People are finally getting fed up with the load of crap this country is in. They are starting to realize that they HAVE to stand up for what is right else suffer living on their knees.

I used to be one of the "silent majority". I had my thoughts and would share them with a select few like minded people. Within the last two years i've been more vocal than ever. Some that have known me for along time think i've became a little "radical". Hey, if radical is what it takes to make things right, then so be it.
  4. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

We were out on the cruise boat and could only get Miami news. But the newscast showed very few protestors and large numbers supporting Chick-Fil-A, commenting on how few actually were protesting Chick-Fil-A. Good coverage showing that most supported its stand.