The Firearms Forum banner

the skeet and trap shooting thread

21K views 130 replies 15 participants last post by  JohnnyFlake 
#1 · (Edited)
many of you know, i own and operate a private skeet/trap range in mo. but prior to that, i use to work at the ft lee rod and gun club and shoot for the navy team in the military. another poster here, vaskeet, is a very close old friend of mine. he also shot for the navy on occasion and we both are former employees of the naval air station oceana skeet and trap range in va beach. we both have vast knowledge of the sport, know how to run a range, and are willing to help anyone who asks for advice. ask your questions on ranges near you, loading, shooting, equipment, or anything to do with clay targets flying thru the air! sure, there are bigger and fancier websites for this, but for those that prefer to continue to make TFF.COM the best website on earth, feel free to post your questions here. as time goes by, im sure others will chime in and be willing to help out, so let me start it off, to get it rolling. here is a thread for your questions!
come on trapp55, chime in! heres your chance to shine!

#27 ·
I havent shot with the ic yet but I will this week.Ive been practicing with the modified choke and I dont miss very often.I will in the next couple of days.Ive been thinking.When I started with the full choke I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn.I was moving my head to the gun instead bringing the gun to my head.I was aiming not pointing.Once I focused on the bird I would follow it until it was around 10 feet off the ground and then I would shoot.Then I hooked up with gary the gunshop owners dad I told you about.He showed me how to mount the gun properly,taught me to point instead of aim.He showed me how to find my dominant eye and as soon as I focused on the bird to fire and follow through with my shot.I had him put the mod choke in and I rarely miss.So do you think a good part of the reason im shooting so much better is because I fixed alot of the above mentioned mechanics and not so much to do with the different choke?I was thinking the best way to tell is to put the full choke in and see if im still hitting as good.Im not just breaking them in a couple of pieces im turning them to dust.Im just trying to learn by asking questions and you know a whole lot more than me so I hope you dont get frustrated with me asking so many questions.I am gonna pattern all three chokes tommorrow so I can see how they do and ill message you tommorrrow so I can tell you how it went.Thank you

#33 ·
Bob, I'm bringing two guns, the Browning (fixed full choke), and my Remington 1100 with the remchokes. I'll pattern the chokes in the 1100, but that gun just doesn't fit right. Maybe with some help I can get it up and running. Is it acceptable to put a red dot on a gun for shooting skeet?

#34 · (Edited)
not really, because youre not pointing the shotgun like a rifle, youre painting the sky with lead like with a paint brush.
and too, dont miss my post in the sticky. you can use my 20ga to keep down the recoil for the tff meet.
----------
dots are for aiming. if youre concentrating on the dot, youre not looking at the target.

see, shotgunning is the complete opposite of rifle and pistol. there, they teach you, clear front site, blurred target.
shotguns is blurred site, clear target.
bluured only after you align the bbl to your eye. then you refocus on the targets flight.
so, wherever you look the shot will go.

biggest mistake people make in shooting moving targets is they look at the target and pull the trigger.
if your shot is suppose to LEAD the target, you need to look in FRONT of the target.

remember, your EYE IS THE REAR SITE, not your red dot!
try that when you get here and youll hit them all.

#35 ·
In other words; your attention needs to be focused on the bird, not the bead. The hard lesson new shooters have is to learn to look at the target. Often you THINK you are, but when you are doing it right you will finally realize what that actually means.

Gun fit is important, but until you gain experience it is almost impossible to get the correct FINAL fit. Gun mount, position, swing and follow-through do take time to learn. A good skeet shooter can greatly shorten the learning curve and keep you from developing bad habits before they start.

#37 ·
Never met her.

It's located right next to Vandenberg Air Force Base on the Central Coast north of Santa Barbara. Very rural; cattle, horses, vineyards, etc. Great hog hunting. I work at the Rod and Gun club on VAFB so get to shoot whatever I want. We have a Sporting Clays program and a bunch of different pistol and rifle matches. No registered skeet anymore due to lack of interest. It's only shot for fun now.

#39 ·
Never met her.

It's located right next to Vandenberg Air Force Base on the Central Coast north of Santa Barbara. Very rural; cattle, horses, vineyards, etc. Great hog hunting. I work at the Rod and Gun club on VAFB so get to shoot whatever I want. We have a Sporting Clays program and a bunch of different pistol and rifle matches. No registered skeet anymore due to lack of interest. It's only shot for fun now.
When bobski and I were shooting for the navy we could shoot registered skeet 3 out of 4 weekends without driving more than 50 miles in VA now of those 4 clubs only one is left operating Randy

#40 ·
I cant imagine people not wanting to do this sport.Me and my boy started out shooting pistols with paper targets and got board with that pretty quick.Around a 2 months ago I bought my boy his first shotgun and when we were at wally world they had clays stacked up in the center of the aisle and thats how we got interested.Weve had alot of fun and were not bored yet.At least now we can alternate between pistol and shotgun when ever we want but the main thing is a family that shoots together stays together.

#41 · (Edited)
you guys are going to love real skeet and trap.
when you get here, theres no bending, cranking, pulling, carrying targets, dropping targets....
all i do is push the button and you shoot.
its an adventure that will most likely last for decades.
im honored to be the one showing you the way.

---------------
randy, lets see. lets get in the wayback machine:

1. ft eustis rod and gun.
2. langley afb rod and gun.
3. portsmouth skeet and trap.
4. laffeyette gun club
5. nas oceana.

22 years later, oceana is the only one still open for skeet.

how did i do?

#42 ·
when you get here, theres no bending, cranking, pulling, carrying targets, dropping targets....

---------------

4. laffeyette gun club
5. nas oceana.

how did i do?
I forgot laffeyette but last I heard they lost part of their skeet field. Oceana lost skeet fields 3 4 and 5 and the overflow trap range (next to skeet 5 )Randy

#44 ·

---------------

4. laffeyette gun club
5. nas oceana.

how did i do?
Im ready!

#46 ·
im told they built an olympic skeet on old range 6. that gives them 3 fields again. old 1 and 2 and old 6 that use to be just trap.
the old laylow range is the 5 stand off the back porch.

if what you say is correct, oceana only has 2 combo fields and 5 stand left?
old six is just a regular skeet range but the sun will kill you there skeet 3 is the wobble trap field 1 and 2 are combo fields laylow is now sporting. the small shoots held there are shot between 8 am and 12 am on fields 1 and 2 Randy

#50 ·
We figure we're pretty lucky to have the facility we do. It's located in a remote part of the base with nothing but Naval shell craters around us, and it's been here long enough that the EPA grandfather's us in over the lead contamination. Unfortunately we can't do shot recovery because we shoot over chaparral that can't be disturbed. 2 skeet/trap overlays, 25, 50 and 100 meter ranges, indoor archery, five stand and sporting clays with a bitchin' game cleaning area for hogs and deer. Pro shop and store with meeting area and kitchen for club functions and parties. It's also the official viewing site for launches on South Base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.