The Firearms Forum banner

the skeet and trap shooting thread

21K views 130 replies 15 participants last post by  JohnnyFlake 
#1 · (Edited)
many of you know, i own and operate a private skeet/trap range in mo. but prior to that, i use to work at the ft lee rod and gun club and shoot for the navy team in the military. another poster here, vaskeet, is a very close old friend of mine. he also shot for the navy on occasion and we both are former employees of the naval air station oceana skeet and trap range in va beach. we both have vast knowledge of the sport, know how to run a range, and are willing to help anyone who asks for advice. ask your questions on ranges near you, loading, shooting, equipment, or anything to do with clay targets flying thru the air! sure, there are bigger and fancier websites for this, but for those that prefer to continue to make TFF.COM the best website on earth, feel free to post your questions here. as time goes by, im sure others will chime in and be willing to help out, so let me start it off, to get it rolling. here is a thread for your questions!
come on trapp55, chime in! heres your chance to shine!

#52 ·
More oaks and sagebrush here. Rolling hills and grass too, but a lot of scrub. We are about 1/2 mile from the ocean so when it's nice we have a great view and fresh sea breeze. Now that "sea breeze" this morning was coming off of 50 F water so it was just a bit bracing!

#55 ·
skeet is my crack cocaine....

I firmly believe in missing at least a few clays per round in order to ensure future generations of targets ahead, clay conservation! hahahaa

When I'm feeling good and cocky on the skeet field, I head to the other end and shoot a couple rounds of wobble to humble myself....

#56 ·
I just got back from Colorado; did some skeet shooting with my best friend. Went to the Boulder Gun Club (NOT in Boulder) and got to shoot in 109 F heat. I used my friend's guns--a highly tricked out 1100 and a K-80 tubed with Kolars. We also brought a pretty little sporting 1100 .410 he won at the Armed Forces a few years back. I didn't embarass myself or him, so it was a good day. His club was open on the 4th so we went out and shot there the following day (Isaac Walton #37 out by Schriever AFB). It was only 94 F there. Both nice facilities--I recommend 'em both.

#58 · (Edited)
welcome bacon buddy....pop your questions on skeet/trap guns here!
let me steer you away from brand new guns.
dont overlook good solid american guns before you buy.
look at what i was shooting at the meet. my old model 50 skeet winchester and as you saw, it did very well.
fads and gimmicks dont break targets. you do.
look towards a late model remington 1100 tournament grade 12ga. look for the model with an adjustable comb. that way you can raise the comb for when you shoot trap.
heres a nice one w/o the adj comb...
http://www.gunsamerica.com/98394326...Nice_Remington_1100_Trap_T_w_extra_barrel.htm

#62 · (Edited)
heres a nice trap 1100. find a skeet bbl to go with it and i'd buy this if i needed a new loaner gun. it has the sought after monte carlo stock WITH PAD.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-1100-Trap-12-ga.cfm?gun_id=100265857

see? old is ok. new guns over 1500.00 are money holes. plenty of old guns out there that will do just fine. reason so many guns are out there is because many people living on the card went under, and theyre selling off guns and stuff to pay bills. its a buyers market. wise investors and hard working people who dont live beyond their means can make some good purchases from those who were not wise and foolish.

#70 ·
I bought an 870 wingmaster used for $200 and change about 12 years ago, came with a skeet and modified barrel set; probably had about a million round through it already and I've put another million thru her.

I know a pump is not the 'preferred' skeet gun but she is smooth as greased lightening! No need for a new one for sure, a nice used one will work great. The 1100 is much preferred over the 11-87 or so I've been told.

finally got a decent score yesterday (and a nice sunburn), topped out with a 23 one round. I think I walked away with a 79 or 80 total yesterday... really need to practice....

#71 ·
hey, anyone on here within driving distance of Fort Lewis skeet range? I generally make it once or twice a week, always thursdays and some sundays. Only have 3 of us shooting regular in my 'clique' lately, sometimes more on sunday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.