The Firearms Forum banner

the skeet and trap shooting thread

21K views 130 replies 15 participants last post by  JohnnyFlake 
#1 · (Edited)
many of you know, i own and operate a private skeet/trap range in mo. but prior to that, i use to work at the ft lee rod and gun club and shoot for the navy team in the military. another poster here, vaskeet, is a very close old friend of mine. he also shot for the navy on occasion and we both are former employees of the naval air station oceana skeet and trap range in va beach. we both have vast knowledge of the sport, know how to run a range, and are willing to help anyone who asks for advice. ask your questions on ranges near you, loading, shooting, equipment, or anything to do with clay targets flying thru the air! sure, there are bigger and fancier websites for this, but for those that prefer to continue to make TFF.COM the best website on earth, feel free to post your questions here. as time goes by, im sure others will chime in and be willing to help out, so let me start it off, to get it rolling. here is a thread for your questions!
come on trapp55, chime in! heres your chance to shine!

#79 · (Edited)
im here. beth...i need to know your arm length, neck height, and observe you with a gun shouldered.

btw...ryan...you and your son arent ready for competition. dont try it! just watch and learn when you go.
who said anything about competition.Were going in 2 weeks to alexandria on wendsday from 9 to 9 you dont have to be a member you can practice for 5 bucks a game.That schedule I put up is for the Olympics.What made you think we were going to compete?

#86 ·
like shoes, you must measure with a gun first by trying it on.
point a gun straight up in the air with it on your shoulder. grasp the gun and bring it down level. your head should contact the wood 2 to 3" from your thumb joint.
if it fits, you then measure from the trigger to the butt. that is your lop.
then, you can go shopping on the internet.

remember beth, time zones here are different here. my body is still on east time but im dead tired earlier.

#87 ·
"In 2 weeks im going to the alexandria Indiana trap range with my son."

"Womens skeet qualifying july 29 9am
womens skeet finals 2pm
Mens skeet july31 9am
mens skeet final 2pm
Mens double trap qual 9am Aug 2nd
mens final 3pm
mens trap qual 9am aug 6th
mens trap final 4pm"

i read them in that order thinking you were going to enter at alexandria.

#88 ·
Been skeet shooting for a couple of years. I went fron Browning A 500 to Baretta 391 Parallel Tgt which I added adj comb, forcing cone & porting by Rhino. Haven't really seen the benefits of "gun fit.".

I suppose I'm trying to get to the phase were I only look at the bird. I was raised on bullseye and Tgt picture was Holy Grail. I stopped my instinct shooting because it wasn't consistent, now it seems they want me to feel the lead again. My average was 41 and I'm almost back there but w like to get to the next level.

I just got a Ducks Unlimited 11-87 in 20 ga. What are the problems I should be looking for ?

#90 ·
"In 2 weeks im going to the alexandria Indiana trap range with my son."

"Womens skeet qualifying july 29 9am
womens skeet finals 2pm
Mens skeet july31 9am
mens skeet final 2pm
Mens double trap qual 9am Aug 2nd
mens final 3pm
mens trap qual 9am aug 6th
mens trap final 4pm"

i read them in that order thinking you were going to enter at alexandria.
Sorry about I was posting the olympic schedule if anyone was interested as I am I should of put that at the top.again sorry.

#91 · (Edited)
Always heard that Trap requires specialized equipment. Problem is trap guns do not work well on other disiplines like skeet, five stand, sporting.

My 391 para Tgt has high rib and shoots high. Don't know if it's high enough for trap though. No trap in my area. I have to remind myself to keep barrel/bead under the bird or I'm on fringe of pattern.

#93 ·
It's also my experience that if one wants to be really good in one discipline i.e. skeet, trap, or Sporting Clays, one should concentrate on that sport. Shooting trap while competing in skeet can adversely affect your score. I've experienced this myself, and seen it in others.

Gun fit is slightly less important in events that allow for a pre-mount like American skeet, but some truths remain: you have to see the rib/bead from a solid mount, and a long lop often will "keep you in the gun" where a short lop won't. Small changes to a gun fit will also require familiarization. I read somewhere that it takes about 1,500 rounds to adjust yourself to a change in gun fit. I don't know that I agree completely, and there are people that can literally shoot anything well, but those people are generally the exception.

#99 · (Edited)
NOTICE
The below event is NOT a TFF.com function.
TFF does not support, profit from, endorse, or have any connection with this event.
Caveat emptor -

just to remind everyone in march we will have our 2nd tff.com mo skeet/trap meet. no experience needed. read up on it in the gen discuss room.
best place to learn about your shotgun is at one of these meets. rubber meets the road, as i put you guys threw the paces. it will be a 5 box match. the strong will survive. pistol grip guns are allowed only if they have a buttstock too. come learn what a butt pad and a well fitted gun is all about and learn what ammo kicks the most or less.
come one come all.

#100 ·
My son bacon buddy just picked up a Remington 1100 trap gun that came with both the trap and skeet barrels. He has it on lay away at the Cabela's right by our home. He got it for $475.00. Looks like new to me.

The last trip to the club he shot 85 out of 100 with his Remington 870 pump. He got a 23 on his last round. Needless to say he was doing much better than me. I did 69 out of 100 with my Mossberg 535.

I am looking at a Ruger Red Label or a Browning Citori over and under. Both are very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.