The Firearms Forum banner

the skeet and trap shooting thread

21K views 130 replies 15 participants last post by  JohnnyFlake 
#1 · (Edited)
many of you know, i own and operate a private skeet/trap range in mo. but prior to that, i use to work at the ft lee rod and gun club and shoot for the navy team in the military. another poster here, vaskeet, is a very close old friend of mine. he also shot for the navy on occasion and we both are former employees of the naval air station oceana skeet and trap range in va beach. we both have vast knowledge of the sport, know how to run a range, and are willing to help anyone who asks for advice. ask your questions on ranges near you, loading, shooting, equipment, or anything to do with clay targets flying thru the air! sure, there are bigger and fancier websites for this, but for those that prefer to continue to make TFF.COM the best website on earth, feel free to post your questions here. as time goes by, im sure others will chime in and be willing to help out, so let me start it off, to get it rolling. here is a thread for your questions!
come on trapp55, chime in! heres your chance to shine!

#102 ·
Went and shot 3 rounds of trap yesterday. Showed up to the range, with more people out there than I had ever seen. Was having a PITA comp. Shot over on the practice range. 20, 21, 20. Not my best scores, but since I havn't shot in months..................

#103 ·
Went and shot 3 rounds of trap yesterday. Showed up to the range, with more people out there than I had ever seen. Was having a PITA comp. Shot over on the practice range. 20, 21, 20. Not my best scores, but since I havn't shot in months..................
If I could shoot that good I would be happy. 20 is my high. I am new to this and done it 4 times. Hope to get better by the end of the year. :)

#105 ·
I hear that alot. But the truth of the matter is recoil management is in how well the rifle or shotgun fits you. if its awkward to hold and sight down its not gonna feel good when it goes off.. even a .410 can get uncomfortable in that regard. I find if an O/U or SXS has just a smidge of cast off to the right and exactly 13.2" LOP turkey loads dont bother me. But gimme a 13.5 LOP and a stright comb and anything stouter than a 2 3/4 dram trap load hurts.

#109 ·
my coworkers are sucked into golf, I make fun of them and tell them that skeet is 'mans' golf, can't get them to come out to the range. Ya get to shoot stuff and break it! what more fun could you ask for, with your pants on anyway? I love destroying orange discs outta the sky.

Hit 18, 20, 21 and 23 last week, the 23 was the closest I've gotten to a straight round in a while, made me happy. (dropped both birds at station 5, no idea!)

#111 ·
my coworkers are sucked into golf, I make fun of them and tell them that skeet is 'mans' golf, can't get them to come out to the range. Ya get to shoot stuff and break it! what more fun could you ask for, with your pants on anyway? I love destroying orange discs outta the sky.

Hit 18, 20, 21 and 23 last week, the 23 was the closest I've gotten to a straight round in a while, made me happy. (dropped both birds at station 5, no idea!)
My best was a 24 and it was the second to last bird I missed. Oh how upset I was with myself. Almost had the elusive 25

#112 ·
it is funny when I miss the first target each round, I say "well, the stress of shooting a perfect round is off!"

ya gotta let at least one or two get away to ensure future generations of orange clays for years to come... hahhaa!

#113 ·
believe it or not, if you want to amaze yourself, shoot a round or two and go in the clubhouse or wherever close by and take a nap, 30-45 minutes, no more than 45. Then when you wake up, go straight out and shoot a round, you will almost always do incredibly better! your body is waking back up and focuses on the task at hand, less chance of your mind wandering. you've broken every single target many times so the possibiliy of a 25 is always there with enough rounds.

i used to do that at Camp Perry during my service rifle days, a short nap before (wasn't very often but when there was a chance) and I would have the guy before me wake me up and get up to the line and I would always shoot very very well compared to before.

hydration is crucial too; everyone I shoot with will spend 3-4 hours straight out on the field without a drop to drink. I bring at least a water bottle and usually fill up at least once. Your eyesight is one of the first things to suffer but your entire body will be 'under par' unless you hydrate. Drinking tons of water (keeping electrolytes in there too) makes you feel so much better and function better it's not even funny but is often overlooked.

so chug some water, have a snooze, then wake up and shoot your 25!

#118 ·
oh, OK. would be pretty fun to be able to easier see your shot string. I can usually see (other people's) shot when it's cloudy out but in bright light I have a hard time seeing it.

#119 ·
I sure could have used any help today. Went to the range and played 4 games of trap. 18,9,13,17. On my 9 round I didn't think I would hit any for a whale. My son did good. 21,18,20,23.

#121 ·
dammit, shot 4 rounds today and on the last one I thought I was going to shoot a perfect round until I dropped the high house on station 6. so another 24, crap!

next week...
Before I had my 1st 25 straight I had 27 24s my 1st 25 became my 1st 75 before I missed 2 to end with a 98. I have also missed h1 h1 opt and l1 then ran the next 97. has anyone talked to bobski lately. I havent seen any posts from him for a while Randy

#122 ·
Bobski was kicked off of the forum, I have his email info if anyone wants it, shoot me a PM. His info is also on his website for his skeet range. I hope to see him allowed back at some point.

Finally managed to stay well into the 80's yesterday getting real close to breaking into the 90's again, ruined another perfect round on station 5, oops. Crushin' 'em good with 7/8oz outta my old faithful, the wingmaster 12g.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.