The Firearms Forum banner

the skeet and trap shooting thread

21K views 130 replies 15 participants last post by  JohnnyFlake 
#1 · (Edited)
many of you know, i own and operate a private skeet/trap range in mo. but prior to that, i use to work at the ft lee rod and gun club and shoot for the navy team in the military. another poster here, vaskeet, is a very close old friend of mine. he also shot for the navy on occasion and we both are former employees of the naval air station oceana skeet and trap range in va beach. we both have vast knowledge of the sport, know how to run a range, and are willing to help anyone who asks for advice. ask your questions on ranges near you, loading, shooting, equipment, or anything to do with clay targets flying thru the air! sure, there are bigger and fancier websites for this, but for those that prefer to continue to make TFF.COM the best website on earth, feel free to post your questions here. as time goes by, im sure others will chime in and be willing to help out, so let me start it off, to get it rolling. here is a thread for your questions!
come on trapp55, chime in! heres your chance to shine!

#2 ·
Me and my son Brandon have been shooting all kinds of guns for awhile now and we stumbled upon clay shooting a couple of months ago.At the time I didnt know of Bobski or his range.Once I found him or he found me cant remember but anyway doesnt matter im just glad we hooked up.Hes invited all of us to come down to his range in July and shoot.Me and my boy are gonna arrive friday July 13th.We are pretty excited about meeting Bobski and the other members and learning and just having fun,so I hope you all can join us.Its gonna be a good time.

#3 ·
I'm a longtime skeet shooter, once competitive but now do it for fun (and a chance to pick on the other shooters--the best part!). So I will look forward to seeing what others post.

p.s. my closest friend was the captain of the Air Force skeet team until his retirement this year. He's the state president of the NSSA in Colorado--Chris Cobb. Perhaps you know him?

#5 ·
Ooh; that's a low blow. The best answer I can give is: when they were winning! Seriously, he did not shoot this year because of a new job with FEMA, but the last few years he shot for the team. I think the last year was when they last shot at the World Shooting Center in San Antonio (2 years ago?). He dropped two targets--both in 20 gauge. Won a few shotguns that week.

#10 ·
Been shooting birds all my life, but never skeet! I sure hope I don't embarrass myself in MO! I've shoot doves, quail, ducks, crows, and hawks, out of the air with a .22 rifle. And I've killed my fair share with a shotgun too, but them skeet! I just don't know. Heck, I don't even know how to cook em!

#11 ·
Carver;

You city boys need some educatin so I will try to help this one time.

Cook em skeets the same way yu cook em carps. Take a short piece of the wood out of the front of the outhouse/two-holer and nale or glue em carps or skeets to the board. Cook em over a slow fire for about forty five minutes, then throw away the skeets or carps and eat the piece of board. Not too bad and leaves plenty of tooth picks when ur done.

Thought every one nu this.

Hope this helps .

UF

#12 ·
Good work Bobski;

I wish you well and hope you are able to get lots of people especially youngsters into skeet shooting. Great sport and more fun then the law allows. It is a game that constantly challenges the competitive spirits and makes one work so hard to better his or her own scores.

UF

#14 ·
Oh no carver Ill probably embarass myself,but im gonna give it a try.I know there will be a big difference than shooting them in the backyard,but we have alot of fun doing it.If I learn something which im sure I will it will all be worth it.Plus I get to meet good people while doing it.

#20 ·
Bobski spent years trying to slow me down on low 6. I never could shoot it slow. Randy
Hello Randy Bob told me who you are.I thought when you were posting to my threads at the end when you typed Randy you was getting my name wrong.After he told me your name I felt kinda dumb.Sounds like you go way back.Im looking forward to going down and meeting him and find out how much I dont know.:)

#22 · (Edited)
no one is embarassed at my club. i wont allow it. its why i have such a secluded and private range. i expect you to make your mistakes here, so when you go out into the shooting world, youll have shot all your mistakes out of you without anyone seeing. and when we have a TFF shoot, its all family anyway, so no one will care. odds are, theyll all be worrying about themselves.
if theres anyone who has the pressure on them, its me! all your little eyeballs will be watching every move and motion i make.
so if i pick my nose, dont you do it. its not part of the lesson!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.