1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

the skeet and trap shooting thread

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by bobski, Jun 17, 2012.

1. USP 45

USP 45 New Member

Always heard that Trap requires specialized equipment. Problem is trap guns do not work well on other disiplines like skeet, five stand, sporting.

My 391 para Tgt has high rib and shoots high. Don't know if it's high enough for trap though. No trap in my area. I have to remind myself to keep barrel/bead under the bird or I'm on fringe of pattern.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. bobski

bobski Former Guest

you bet it is!
  3. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

It's also my experience that if one wants to be really good in one discipline i.e. skeet, trap, or Sporting Clays, one should concentrate on that sport. Shooting trap while competing in skeet can adversely affect your score. I've experienced this myself, and seen it in others.

Gun fit is slightly less important in events that allow for a pre-mount like American skeet, but some truths remain: you have to see the rib/bead from a solid mount, and a long lop often will "keep you in the gun" where a short lop won't. Small changes to a gun fit will also require familiarization. I read somewhere that it takes about 1,500 rounds to adjust yourself to a change in gun fit. I don't know that I agree completely, and there are people that can literally shoot anything well, but those people are generally the exception.
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I went and shot some trap today and had a good time,I needed that.
  5. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Need some opinions on remington 310 and winchester ranger 140
  6. bobski

bobski Former Guest

what do you want to know besides they are on the cheap side of the food chain?
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Cheap is ok, are they good for anything but clays and birds?
  8. bobski

bobski Former Guest

if you like bruised arms, go for it.
    any gun is good for other things besides clays and birds. its the shell that does the deed, not the gun.
    310's are middle east o&u imports...with the remington name on it.

140's are cheap/junky pumps.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  9. bobski

bobski Former Guest

NOTICE
    The below event is NOT a TFF.com function.
    TFF does not support, profit from, endorse, or have any connection with this event.

Caveat emptor -

just to remind everyone in march we will have our 2nd tff.com mo skeet/trap meet. no experience needed. read up on it in the gen discuss room.
    best place to learn about your shotgun is at one of these meets. rubber meets the road, as i put you guys threw the paces. it will be a 5 box match. the strong will survive. pistol grip guns are allowed only if they have a buttstock too. come learn what a butt pad and a well fitted gun is all about and learn what ammo kicks the most or less.
    come one come all.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son bacon buddy just picked up a Remington 1100 trap gun that came with both the trap and skeet barrels. He has it on lay away at the Cabela's right by our home. He got it for $475.00. Looks like new to me.

The last trip to the club he shot 85 out of 100 with his Remington 870 pump. He got a 23 on his last round. Needless to say he was doing much better than me. I did 69 out of 100 with my Mossberg 535.

I am looking at a Ruger Red Label or a Browning Citori over and under. Both are very nice.
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Those Ruger Red Labels are notorious for kicking the snot out of you. Just FYI.
  12. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Went and shot 3 rounds of trap yesterday. Showed up to the range, with more people out there than I had ever seen. Was having a PITA comp. Shot over on the practice range. 20, 21, 20. Not my best scores, but since I havn't shot in months..................
  13. gvw3

If I could shoot that good I would be happy. 20 is my high. I am new to this and done it 4 times. Hope to get better by the end of the year. :)
  14. gvw3

MF410 I took it to the range and it kicks less than my Mossberg 535. :)
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I hear that alot. But the truth of the matter is recoil management is in how well the rifle or shotgun fits you. if its awkward to hold and sight down its not gonna feel good when it goes off.. even a .410 can get uncomfortable in that regard. I find if an O/U or SXS has just a smidge of cast off to the right and exactly 13.2" LOP turkey loads dont bother me. But gimme a 13.5 LOP and a stright comb and anything stouter than a 2 3/4 dram trap load hurts.