The Firearms Forum banner

The Table-O-Brass!!!

5K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  tjeffords 
#1 ·
Alrighty so here is where I am going to basicly "blog" (god I hate that word... any ways) about The Table-O-Brass from concept to creation. ill make it as detailed and informative as possible as I can. WARNING!!! All the pics will be BIG so you can see in detail. when done i will tak as many HQ pics as possible and scan them in so you can get a good look at them. But for now all pics will be as good as my DroidX will let me take. More to come later (When I get home) along with pics.

Subscribe if you would like. Comment with what help/ideas or anything like that. If you want further info about something just ask.

Well here comes the adventure hope you join!
TJ

#27 ·
Ok so I haven't had much time to work on the table due to workin 7 days a week 9-10 hr days also doin physical therapy from the crash. But I have collected what I think is all the brass that was on the table before the storm lol.

Here is where I'm at.. I tested the epoxy sample I got from Epoxy ect. it works great with clean brass but I cant do it with the dirty/worn brass. So now I'm looking for an easy way just clean the heads so they will adhere. but i only want to do the heads so I can keep the worn look from the bottom and side view.

I'm open to suggestions. I was thinkin about six inch polishing wheel on a bench grinder but I don't have one nor can I afford one right now I'm really strapped for cash.

Btw here is a pic and thank you all for all the help!!!!

Attachments

#32 ·
That could get a little pricey.. Box of popcicles works just as good and cheaper..

#34 ·
Heres what you do TJ.. Take a staplegun and tack a couple sheets of scotchbrite to a scrap of plywood, then just run the headstamps across them as you toss them from one box to the next. Then when you get ready to apply epoxy and reassemble the tabletop just a quick rub with some denatured alcohol on a rag before applying epoxy. thatlle ensure you get a clean, grease free bond with the glass. Not a bad idea to wipe the glass too with the denatured alcohol.

#37 ·
Tj that is one cool table!!!

#38 ·
Am I right in thinking this is going to be the thickness of the .50 rounds encased in epoxy? How much is this going to weigh?

Another thing you could do with it is to have designs inside the design by flipping the brass upside down. It would make the patterns stand out and show off some of the headstamps. Might be cool.

#39 ·
I was acctualy originallygoing to just epoxy all the rounds directly to the round glass and use the 50s as mounting points to the base. Thats why Im using 5 rounds to distribute the weight. there will be 5 steel or aluminum rods epoxied into the 50 BMG's and the steel rods will attach to a base after being turned over suspending the brass from the glass.

#42 ·
Ok so I did the math to do an Epoxy Resin encapsulation of the table and laying a piece of glass on top I'm looking at about 6 gallons of Resin to cover just the .223's at about 2" in thickness. With that in mind the Resin cost about $65/gallon which is (if you don't have a calculator) $390....... So I guess I'm going back to my original idea of epoxying the brass directly to the glass

#43 ·
so I took all the brass off to clean the glass. While everything was off I weighed all the brass and glass. The brass alone weighed 25lbs 3oz and the glass weighed 14lbs 8oz .

All in all the total weight of the table is 39lbs 11oz. I think i my not add anymore just the .22 lr around the rim of the glass.

I held it all up at the center and no cracking or bowing.

I think im going to just paint the part that is not going to be covered in brass.

Im thinkin a US Flag background any other ideas?

#46 ·
The glass will be the top but i am not going to be filling in the rest of the table in just what i have on the most current pic (with the exception that the current pic does not have the .22's around the edge i kept knocking them over) I plan on filling in the empty areas with some type of background. Idk just pondering might leave it clear to be able to see the cartridges.

Maybe I can find some military emblems and put one of each branch on the bottom to be able to be seen from the top. IDK just thinkin out loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.