The Talon Industries .380 ACP

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Frequency X
    (3/28/02 4:27:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All The Talon Industries .380 ACP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been looking for a good somewhat compact 9mm or .380 ACP handguun for the money. I have came across Hi-Point.. which I heard was no good.
    I recently came across a company that is based here in Montana called Talon Industries.. I really like there model of the .380 ACP .. THE T100. It is actually a really nice gun and has a alright length for a barrel(4")and the price is right(150.00)
    Has anyone heard of The Talon Industries T100 and T200 guns? If so let me know because Im thinking of getting the .380 ACP model.
    Also another question..
    How is it to take care of a .380 ACP caluber handgun? Iss it more work than say . a regular 9mm? Is the ammo hard to find ? And also how powerful is it compared to other guns near its caliber.?
    Thanks for the Input

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/28/02 8:15:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: The Talon Industries .380 ACP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have sold two Talon 9mm pistols. The 1st one came back with a cracked slide after firing less than 50 rounds. The factory did replace the pistol but for about the same $$ you can buy a Makarov or PA-63 in 9X18 cal. Much better pistol IMHO.

Frequency X
    (3/28/02 10:08:48 pm)
    I was just looking at some Makarov pictures and specs.. You were right this one is actually cheaper and plus it comes with a holster and a magazine.. But there is one thing, is this PA-63 a .380 ACP caliber.. It mentions it being 9x18? Im not much of a gun person so I have no idea what that means.

Edited by: Frequency X at: 3/28/02 10:21:14 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/28/02 11:06:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: The Talon Industries .380 ACP
    Welcome aboard Frequency X, I agree with S45, the
    Mak or FEG PA63 is a much better way to go, I have
    sold many of them with none ever comming back and
    mucho compliments on these pistols, they are a well
    built little pistol in my opinion.

The 9X18 is the same diameter as the .380 bullet but
    with a slightly longer case, it carries a bit more punch
    with it when striking a target.

As far as care goes, not much difference than any
    similar semi-auto pistol.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/29/02 6:59:43 am)
    Go to www.makarov.com to find out more about the Makarov pistol. Lots of info there.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/29/02 7:54:21 am)
    The good thing about the Makarovs is that you can get one in the original Russian Makarov caliber, and get a replacement barrel in 380 ACP from Federal Ordnance fairly cheap - then you have one pistol you can change out to two different calibers.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Frequency X
    (3/29/02 11:40:43 am)
    Thanks for the information! So if I was to get a Makarov, which one would I get? I have seen bulgarian ones and some other types. And where would be the best place for price to buy a Mak? Preferbly the one where you can switch the barrel to a .380 ACP?
    Thanks

mashaffer
    (6/8/02 5:30:36 pm)
    Bulgarian is good. East German is also good but usually costs more. I second the recommendation of www.makarov.com for more information.

The 9x18 Mak is very similar to .380 a little more powerful but not much. Ammo used to be hard to come by but I think that one of the big boys (Hornady maybe) sells a defensive load now. Check it out first or get the switch barrel to use which ever is at hand.

Mike

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/8/02 7:25:05 pm)
    Hi, FrequencyX, welcome to TFF.

Please be advised that the FEG PA-63 also comes in the .380 caliber as well as the 9 X 18. I'm saying this because I have a .380 in its holster with extra clip. Very accurate shooter.

But the Marakov is probably a little sturdier pistol with a little more oomph in velocity.

But the FEG is cool as it looks a little like the James Bond PPK.

Gunguy
  2. Grinch1963

Grinch1963 New Member

DO NOT BUY A TALON! There have been numerous cases of slide failure and injury with the Talon T200 9mm. IDK about the .380 ACP but they are basically the same gun with a similar alloy slide and frame. Some failures have occurred with less than 50 rounds though them. I wouldn't take the chance.

The Makarov is a very reliable gun as far as I've seen. They tend to work best with full metal jacketed bullets but some hollow points work well too. You might have to experiment. I would stick with the European versions. Russian, German etc. as opposed to Chinese copies. Workmanship tends to be better.

9x18 Makarov is powered between the .380 ACP and 9mm Parabellum. They all have the same bullet diameter but ammo is NOT interchangeable. The cases are different in length 9x17, 9x18,and 9x19 as well as the power difference. If you buy a military surplus model do not use "hot" hand loads or +P ammunition but standard loads are fine. Surplus ammo works good for the most part but are sometimes loaded with a more corrosive powder. Clean well after using.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I own a 9x18 Russian made Makarov and I am surprised at the accuracy and reliability of it. I don't use it as a carry piece as I favor a small revolver but it certainly could be carried easily.
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I have an FEG PA-63 (AP9) and I love it! It's accurate, compact and lightweight (titanium-aluminum alloy frame).

And don't sell the Hi-Point's short, there are folks who really like them. Their quality has improved dramaticly over the years.
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

There is no titanium in your FEG frame, only aluminum.
  6. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    FÉGARMY Arms Factory of Hungary started producing Walther PP/PPK clones in the late 1940s starting with their Model 48 which differed from the Walther PP only in minor details. By the late 1950s FÉG began making broader changes resulting in the PA-63, which uses a 9x18mm Makarov round. It quickly became standard issue to both Hungarian military and police forces. Due to its popularity and relative durability FÉG later issued models using .32ACP and .380 ACP caliber rounds (FÉG AP9 and PMK-380 respectively).

The Military standard PA-63 version sports a two-tone polished aluminium frame with black slide, grips, trigger and hammer assembly. While unusual for military issue in that a reflective polish was used, it was chosen due to its relative cheapness as well as quicker build time. Problems related to the durability of the aluminium frame were resolved prior to the development of the PA-63 in 1961 with the production of the FÉG R-61 Police Pistol. The addition of .1% titanium to the aluminium alloy solved premature alloy frame wear problems inherent in the earlier FÉG aluminium framed pistols. This development was then applied to all aluminium framed FÉG guns including the PA-63.

(From Wikipedia)