The Firearms Forum banner

The Taurus Judge

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  CampingJosh 
#1 ·
Lately there have been some pretty decent prices on these with the 2 1/2" cylinder but the 3" can get pretty steep. Just wondering how much difference there is between 2 1/2" and 3" .410ga rounds in terms of effectiveness and range. Would the 2 1/2" .410 be an effective self defense rd?

#2 ·
Personally I call the Taurus Judge a prime example of "if you make, name, and heavily advertise it; lots of people will buy it".

The short answer to your question is 2 1/2" or 3" .410 shotshell ammo does not likely make much difference. Loaded with shotshells, the Jugge is not a good self-defense gun for anything but snakes when loaded with small birdshot.

There is not a lot that I admire about the FBI; but they sure got it right with the relatively short and quick read, published as classified in 1989, that the following link will take you to:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

If you carry a handgun for self defense, you should read all of it; especially page 16.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I have to agree with the birdshot anology for the Judge. However, the PDX round that shoots both disks and shot is a devastating self defense round out of the Judge. Like any gun that would be used for defense, you have to match the gun with the round for the most effect.

#4 ·
The judge is a effective SD weapon...loaded with #9 shot or 000 or even the new specilized SD rounds by Federal and Winchester. at a NORMAL SD distance of 10 t0 12 ft, I dare any intruder to continue comming at me with a facefull of #9 shot..wont happen he has NO EYES left..try it on a paper plate at 12 ft! followed by a 000 or 45lc for the kill, it gives you the choice of what rounds are nessary for a follow up. after all the intruder may be a snake or racoon, instead of a person!

21/2 or 3in really made no diffrence in a SD mode.

have used .410 for home defence at night fo over 45 years and no intruder has been able to penetrate inside for more than 20-25 ft so far! only 1 was allowed to walk back out..the rest were either carted off by corner or police.

#5 ·
A lot of good information in this read. Thanks, Hammerslagger, for posting this. It gives a person a good deal more to think about when dealing with caliber wars.

I find the Judge heavy, ungainly and ugly. I too think it's more of a gimmick than a useful weapon.

#6 ·
I had that article saved in favorites for several years but when it was discussed here the consensus was that the information was out dated since there had been so many advances in ammunition design since it was written. Going by this article one might conclude that a full metal jacket round would be more effective than a hollow point as it's likely to penetrate deeper, which the article claims is the single most important factor in incapacitation.

#8 ·
One difference between the 2.5" and 3" is choice of ammo.
The caliber, the load, the capacity, the type of gun, all that is discussed
in this modern world of carry/self defense and what is best is all simply scenario speculation. There are so many variations it is almost like <no one is right and every one is right>.
The biggest factors I contend is what do you handle and hit on target with and are comfortable with.
A stick is far more lethal than an AK-47........if the stick is plunged into someones heart and the AK only wings the intruder in his pinky.

#10 ·
I have a Taurus Judge with the six inch barrel. I keep it loaded with 000 buck. My shells have four lead balls in each round. I have taken the Judge to the range and shot it a lot. Even I will feel sorry for the bad guy I am forced to shoot with this gun. Make no mistake, it is a powerfull gun.

#15 ·
i like the idea of a multi ammo weapon.. just not so much the way it works out in a snubby.

I invested in a circuit judge and love it. if it were a raging magnum circuit judge.. I'd love it evenmore for the 454 casul.. :)

#16 ·
Personally I call the Taurus Judge a prime example of "if you make, name, and heavily advertise it; lots of people will buy it".

The short answer to your question is 2 1/2" or 3" .410 shotshell ammo does not likely make much difference. Loaded with shotshells, the Jugge is not a good self-defense gun for anything but snakes when loaded with small birdshot.

There is not a lot that I admire about the FBI; but they sure got it right with the relatively short and quick read, published as classified in 1989, that the following link will take you to:

If you carry a handgun for self defense, you should read all of it; especially page 16.

Hope this helps.
Good link, thanks

#17 ·
:eek:

Hope this helps.
While this is a very good read, we have to remember its scope is entirely handgun BULLETS, the artical never addressed shotgun shotshells.

I will maintain in a Self defence or Home defence situtation the distances involved will usually be under 12 ft. Now with a 5 shot JUDGE loaded 410 defensive load..(4 pellets 00),45lc,410,45lc,410..any one I am firing at actually has 2, 45lc bullets and 3 x 4= 12 pellets (count as 9mm bullets) comming at them, at the velocities the manufacturer stated Penatration isnt a problem. and at 12 ft I will have what 14? chances to hit a vital organ or central nervious system as recommended in the artical? NOt BAD ODDS! not if all 5 shots are 00 then that increases to 20! and at 12 ft something will hit! most likely at least 50% of those pellets will hit!

so slough off the JUDGE if you want..I can put 5 shots (20) count them 20, 9mm sized pellets your way faster than you can empty your semi-auto...
Match that firepower.. like a SWARM of LEAD!:eek:

#18 ·
why is a shotgun with a 17.5 inch barrel considered a weapon of mass destruction but the judge is not?
It doesn't have to make sense; it's the law.

The Judge is a .45 Colt revolver. It has a rifled barrel (and therefore is not a shotgun). It just has an extra-long .45 Colt chamber that can fit and safely fire the .410 shot shell.

According to federal law, the Judge is a handgun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.