The Timberwolf .357 mag PUMP.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by zavozod, Dec 3, 2005.

1. zavozod

zavozod New Member

I remember seeing this in Guns and ammo when I was a teenager. I vowed I would get one when I was older,now I cannot find one. Does antone remember are even have one. I think it was Israli manufactured.
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    They stopped building them several years ago due to manufacturing problems and, as I remember, some questions about their structural safety.

However, there are several new pump rifles in pistol calibers on the market now thanks to Cowboy Action Shooting. Taurus/Rossi builds one.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Yes, Taurus makes a pump that is a clone (modified for more durablitiy, it says here) of the Colt Lightning pump in 357Mag and 45 Long Colt. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I have been waiting for mine since last January! It has been on order for almost a year! I knew then that it was not released (release was for mid year but that was pushed back to last quarter 2005). The Taurus web site says "now available" but distributors apparently still don't have them. I wonder what the problem is. I can't get past the Taurus operator to get a definitive answer and the dealer gets "not avaiable" from the distributor.

Some things are too good to be true I guess. The price was too reasonable. Another manufacturer clones the Lightning but gets about $1200 for it while the Taurus is in the $300 to $400 range.

I suppose my Taurus rifle will come some day but it is getting harder to wait.

LDBennett
  4. DoubleEagle

DoubleEagle New Member

Not sure how long ago this was posted but as I am searching for one of these myself I thought I would weigh in on the subject.

They stopped importing the Timberwolf Carbine into the U.S. back in 1989. Not sure if this fine little firearm got caught up in the Bradley Bill or whether Israeli Arms (maker of the Uzi) just had a hissy fit. Either way I did have the opportunity to own one of these before..... and I'm kicking myself in the a$$ for not keeping ahold of it. Especially now that my home state allows rifle hunting with handgun rounds now.

To say this gun shot excellent would be an understatement. I've never shot a more accurate pump or lever action 357 carbine. Mine came with factory issued wood stock and forearm. The action was tight with no rattling of the forearm. It would chamber both .357 mag and .38 spec. ammo equally well. The only time I ever had problems with it feeding was when I tried to run .38 spec. semi-wadcutter rounds through it. (no duh)

Other than that it worked well with even .357 semi-wadcutters, or any other round nose lead or copper jacketed hollow point regardless of caliber (.357 or .38 spec). I got consistant half inch to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards using a 3-9x Simmons scope. In the end I used my Timberwolf for 3 years for everything from casual plinking to varmint hunting and fooled the gun away on a trade. As I said before I am still kicking myself in the a$$ for doing it and even now am looking for one at a decent price.
  5. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

For years I sought one of these in the .44mag, price be damned. Then found out from a real user they will break your heart. Stock design leads to wrist breakage and it will continue to do so.

Find another of the day, you`ll be happier