The Tulsa Experience

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

RobC in Missouri
    (10/23/01 11:09:09 am)
    | Edit | Del All The Tulsa Experience
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow.

This was my first visit to the Tulsa show, and I was amazed. I'm used to these 100-200 table shows in the St. Louis area. At Tulsa, it was guns as far as the eyes could see.

Examples:

An SVT38 (not an SVT40) for $2350, a Savage army trials .45 for $14,000, a Springfield M1903 with pressure test barrel, some Swede 94s starting around $650...I could go on. Saw one girl walking around with what looked like an MP-5 on her back - collapsible stock, short barrel, with the "bullet" indicators on the grip frame. I thought full-autos were prohibited at this show, but I could be wrong...

My haul: Some reference books, a Finn MN 91/34, and a Finnish SA-marked M96 Swedish Mauser that I paid all of $100 for. Oh, and enough cash to come back and get a non-import marked Inland M1 carbine out of layaway.

A fun time in all - I'll definitely be going to the next one.

RobC in Missouri

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/23/01 12:13:58 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: The Tulsa Experience
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gotta get down there someday. Sounds like one would best be prepared by taking lots of greenbacks.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

RobC in Missouri
    (10/23/01 2:49:03 pm)
    Oops, meant to say Finn MN 91/24, not 34...

Yes, lots of greenbacks are required. I didn't bring much myself, but did manage to sell a few items to make up for it.

I was surprised by the number of St. Louis area sellers that had tables at the show - Pete Cutelli of Alamo, Dave from Kirkwood Outfitters, the guy from On Target, and several others who I recognized.

That reminds me - I really need to join the SLAAA...

Tulsa is like a pilgrimage to Mecca - you gotta do it at least once in your lifetime. :cool:

HerbyJr
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 2:54:40 pm)
    There is another one in the spring. They do two big ones a year. We'll keep you updated.

H.

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/23/01 8:02:49 pm)
    I know Dave Hart goes down there every year. He is trying to sell his shop - he is going to retire from the active business in another year, and just do gun shows after that. He's thinking of dropping the regular FFL and go the Cruffler route.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

(10/24/01 8:54:52 pm)
    Rob, Stacy, my wife, and I were at our table in row 36a, table 10 which is the second table from the front on the west side. Great place to be because a lot of folks come in and head to the west end to start the zig-zag through the show.

Lots of stuff, much of it overpriced, and the Swedes not in as good condition as earlier shows.

We had fun dickering with the walkthroughs on selling and buying. I picked up a 1941 SVT 40 with what has turned out to be an almost new bore from a guy wheeling several rifles around in a wire framed cart. The stock needs to be cleaned and BLOed.

I missed all the Rasheeds that I have been told about. Either I had my eyes tuned for Swede's too much or someone had bought the Rasheeds before I passed by.

I also went back to FLtargetmaster's table just before leaving and brought home a 1908 CG m96/38b in an almost perfect cut down m96 Husqvarna stock with muzzle cap, sight hood, and sling.

I will definitely be back in April but not sure about doing the table thing again. It was fun but it cut down on my browsing time. And I did get to meet several people from some of the boards.

April in Tulsa, here I come.

David.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government".....Thomas Jefferson

southernfreedom
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/24/01 9:56:10 pm)
    I went to the Tulsa show last year. 6-7 acres of tables under ONE roof!! It was
    actually frustrating to be there because I only had 2-3 hours and one
    cannot begin to see much of that show in 2-3 hours. Next time I go
    I will plan on an entire day there. It was awesome though!!

HerbyJr
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/24/01 10:59:58 pm)
    This show that just passed was 11 acres under one roof. The top and bottom floors were both full.

9638, I looked for your SwedishMauser.com banner you told us about, but was unable to find you guys.

H.