The Wisdom of Col. Jeff Cooper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45nut, Jul 29, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I know it's wiki, but it's easy to find :eek:

Cooper's Commentaries

This man helped form a lot of my ideas on weapons and tactics. I waited for my Guns & Ammo and flipped to the back to read "Cooper's Corner" then read the rest of the magazine.

"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons."

"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

It is interesting to hear certain kinds of people insist that the citizen cannot fight the government. This would have been news to the men of Lexington and Concord, as well as the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. The citizen most certainly can fight the government, and usually wins when he tries. Organized national armies are useful primarily for fighting against other organized national armies. When they try to fight against the people, they find themselves at a very serious disadvantage. If you will just look around at the state of the world today, you will see that the guerillero has the upper hand. Irregulars usually defeat regulars, providing they have the will. Such fighting is horrible to contemplate, but will continue to dominate brute strength.

One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time.

The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.

All the people constitute the militia — according to the Founding Fathers. Therefore every able-bodied man has a duty under the Constitution to become part of the "well-regulated" militia, specifically to understand and perform well with the individual weapon currently issued to the regular establishment. . . . Thus one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.

A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it.

The conclusions seem inescapable that in certain circles a tendency has arisen to fear people who fear government. Government, as the Father of Our Country put it so well, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. People who understand history, especially the history of government, do well to fear it. For a people to express openly their fear of those of us who are afraid of tyranny is alarming. Fear of the state is in no sense subversive. It is, to the contrary, the healthiest political philosophy for a free people. – Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, vol. 4, no. 16, December, 1996

The media insist that crime is the major concern of the American public today. In this connection they generally push the point that a disarmed society would be a crime-free society. They will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem.

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. – Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 2, No. 5, May 1994

Who else is a Col Cooper fan, other than Tranter of course, who actually met him? :D
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've heard of him but need to research him more.

Someone on the forum has a signature tag where Jeff Cooper describes a .25 pistol....it's a very sarcastic (my kind of humor) hoot !
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

How young are you?:eek:
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A mere 62
  5. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

I've read Col. Cooper for more years than I care to remember. Was sad when he went.

Direct, blunt talk about guns and life made me smile and agree. He was one in a million.

I would receive my copy of Guns and Ammo. He was editor at large and I would invariably head to the last page first, where The Gunners Guru would pontificate on all things gun and the human condition.

His words and life are sadly missed.
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Ah, those were the days. The Gunner's Guru, Cooper's Corner made G&A worth the price of admission.

hardballer, the second link is to his commentaries later in life and are just as sage and wise as his earlier writings.

I need to get some of his books.

Tranter.......anything to add???:rolleyes: ;) :D
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Yes, I knew to know Jeff Cooper a little, and consider myself very lucky to have done so. He was without question the father of the modern handgun technique.

He was much more though, and well worth reading up on. I was on my way to visit him a few years ago when I learned of his passing. A great loss.

I believe he would have been very much at home on TFF.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The wisdom of Col Cooper.......... how important do I think it is ? Well, my 9 and 11 yr old could tell you more about him than most people you'll ever meet.
    If you don't know or haven't read about him, you'd be doing yourself a huge favor and I'm certain anyone here would be fascinated by his role in the world of firearms. Truly one of the finest to grace the Corps ! I would have been honored to meet him, but since I can't, I can pass on his legacy and teachings to my kids so that they can pass it on to theirs.
  9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I was a fan for years. As others, I'd read his article first and then the other parts of the magazine.
    I wasn't keeping up with firearms when he died, so didn't know. Didn't always agree with everything he said, but then that was what he'd have wanted I think. Free thinking and all that.
  10. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I used to have that signature.

"Carry a .25 if you must, but whatever you do, don't ever load it. If you load it you might shoot it. If you shoot it, you might hit someone. If you hit someone... and if he ever finds out about it... he may become very angry with you."