The Firearms Forum banner

Theoretical question.

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
There have been a few threads floating around about pistol caliber carbines, and that got me thinking. One very good use for a carbine of this type is for a home defense or "house" gun. One of the main problems is with over-penetration of rounds through walls, etc...; even with 9mm. I did some checking on Ballistics By The Inch, and one of the lightest JHP rounds for 9mm was Federal JHP 115 gr. @1295 fps. Even with expansion, this is still more than capable of passing through drywall, paneling, etc... and causing harm on the other side.

My main question, I guess, is why someone doesn't produce a .380 in about a 16 inch barrel carbine. I know what you're thinking. Why make a .380 when the 9mm is more powerful. Well, that's precisely the reason. According to BBTI, a Hornady XTP 90 gr. round out of a 16 inch barrel would only be traveling around 1056 fps; about 200 fps faster than a typical .380 handgun. Plenty deadly, but the lighter hollow point round and slower velocity than the 9mm would be less likely to penetrate walls and cause as much collateral damage. I think this would be a very good home defense type gun.

#2 ·
Frangible bullets!
There have been a few threads floating around about pistol caliber carbines, and that got me thinking. One very good use for a carbine of this type is for a home defense or "house" gun. One of the main problems is with over-penetration of rounds through walls, etc...; even with 9mm. I did some checking on Ballistics By The Inch, and one of the lightest JHP rounds for 9mm was Federal JHP 115 gr. @1295 fps. Even with expansion, this is still more than capable of passing through drywall, paneling, etc... and causing harm on the other side.

My main question, I guess, is why someone doesn't produce a .380 in about a 16 inch barrel carbine. I know what you're thinking. Why make a .380 when the 9mm is more powerful. Well, that's precisely the reason. According to BBTI, a Hornady XTP 90 gr. round out of a 16 inch barrel would only be traveling around 1056 fps; about 200 fps faster than a typical .380 handgun. Plenty deadly, but the lighter hollow point round and slower velocity than the 9mm would be less likely to penetrate walls and cause as much collateral damage. I think this would be a very good home defense type gun.
I know that you are new to guns for home defense, and every question you've asked have been valid questions, including this one. All I can tell you is that I want to stop the BG, ASAP. That requires either a hit to the central nervous system, or a wound that will cause an almost instant drop in blood pressure. To acquire either effect you need bullets that make big holes, and give deep penetration. If you are worried about shooting thru walls, then you need a home defense plan that stops the threat outside your home, not inside. The gun you choose to use to defend your home is a last ditch weapon. The best way to avoid shooting intruders, is to keep them outside of your home. If they do get in you want an alarm system that tells you they have breached your security system, and you want it loud. I like big bullets!

#3 ·
I actually keep a lot more firepower within reach (cocked and locked 1911 and a CZ75 in the nightstand, loaded Hi-Point 45 carbine under the bed, and a 12 gauge shotgun in the corner, and some others around the house.) I don't really worry about over-penetration because its just me and my wife at home now. I just think the idea of a .380 carbine is a cool idea.

#5 ·
IMHO, That #6 load might discourage a criminal, but it won't stop him if he's determined, or high!

#6 ·
One of the problems, in my opinion, with using a long-gun for home defense, is the size of it.

With a pistol, I can either carry a flashlight in my other hand, or reach over an turn on the wall switch. Hard to do that when I need both hands to carry a gun.

And with a long gun, with sixteen or more inches of barrel sticking out in front of me, as I pass through a doorway I am offering it to a bad guy on the other side. "Here, grab hold and snatch it away from me." That's why I recommend a pistol.

Your 380 in a rifle format might be good for home defense, but what other use has it? Because just "home defense", I don't think, would sell enough to make it a financially viable product.

Reactions: carver and gdmoody
#11 ·

380 carbine?

like a mac 12 with fake supressor or bbl ext

#13 ·
If you plan to practice shooting an intruder who's outside your home, check your state laws first. Most all states have a Castle Doctrine of some kind. Many states do not allow for shooting someone outside of your home. You, or yours, must be in eminent danger, A person outside does not constitute a threat to your life. Some confused folks go to prison for a murder they thought was legal. All it takes is a brief search, or a call to your state police barracks. Then you'll know.

#14 ·

1. I think your over thinking this. Get the 44 mag

2. WHat makes you think all bullets fly out of your bbl are doing the same speed?

3. I have shot lots of factory ammo thru a chrony and you wouldn't believe the difference.

4. Get the 44. Dont miss.

#16 ·
First, the guy that asked the question is in Kentucky, so what does it matter what Florida rules are?

Second, "expanded castle"?

And third, if you live in Florida, and you hear someone outside stealing your stuff, and you go out and shoot him, you will go to jail. It's "stand your ground" - it's not "go looking for trouble".

#17 ·
Alpo, think outside the small box you normally lash out from!

if I hear someone outside my house and go investigate, and find someone stealing my stuff, and tell him to stop, and then he charges and attacks me, I am within myrightto defend myself.

I realize you don't lil me, as evidenced by your many negative toned comments toward me, but lets keep an objective mind here. No law abiding citizen walks outside to kill a burger. Lethal force is appropriate to prevent forces me felonies, and other lawfull self defense.
as for why my comment was made? It was to another Floridian!

#18 ·
Ohio is the same way. I can't go out and shoot someone who is smashing my truck window trying to steal it. I will go to jail. IF the thug comes at me with a gun or knife and breaks in my house, he's in big trouble. Ohio is an expanded castle state. Neither can I shoot at thugs in a drive-by shooting.
We can't carry a knife that's 4 inches fixed anymore! WtHeck!

#19 ·
Even Illinois has a castle law. You can shoot some one that is in your house if you fear for your life. They do frown on shooting some one outside for whatever reason. If you do you could get a free expense paid 20 year to life vacation at the department of corrections.

If some one is coming after you with a knife or gun outside your home and you fear for your life you can use your gun. You will go to jail but if you can prove you had no other choice you will win in your trial. Then be prepared for the civil lawsuits.

#20 ·
florida castle exempts the victim from civil exposure in bona fide self defense cases.

other states need to fall in, put rights in victims hands, and not in the perps. Don't have to be in your house in Florida either. Just have to be in a place you are legally allowed to be, and no duty to retreat, meet force with force. Thus if attacked on a public sidewalk, no need to show the attacker your back and try to run putting you at a disadvantage, you can now defend yourself from the threat.

#21 ·
Same in Texas!

#22 ·
slicing the pie with a long gun/home defense

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.