There Goes the Military

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dons2346, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

It may be 'blatant' to you, but to some of us it's not. None of us know everything.

Cut us some slack. :rolleyes:

I worked with a guy that was in the Army in Nam. He was shot down 3 times in choppers. Yes, THREE times. He even made the cover of Time magazine for all the VC ears he had collected. He always referred to the Marines as 'Jar Heads' and chuckled. I always thought that was odd.

I support all of our branches. While I can appreciate the competition between our many branches, I don't understand the venom involved.

No, I've never served. Maybe that's my problem? I don't have the instilled hatred in any choice of branch, so maybe I should bite my tongue.

I thank all of them equally. I don't see where any one of them has bragging rights on any of the others.

BTT...

Sikhs have long fought with the Brits and Americans. They are noble of belief and are ferrocious fighters. The towel on the head does not make the man.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i think its the dress Blues, i get them mixed up on parade days here

this shot Air forces at front army behind and navy ( and submariners) at rear ( your folks currently based or in port here last Anzac Day)

and below that this guy retired here ... now if i did not know the differences ( or was not wearing my glasses) i'd screw that up too

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A thousand pardons.

So now let me rephrase. How would it look with the US ARMY guarding the tomb wearing a turban?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that Sikhs can join the Marines. I'm also fairly certain that wearing a beard is part of their religion. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and suggest that if a Sikh is in the Marine Corps, he cannot wear a beard.

I don't see where that has anything to do with his freedom of religion. He voluntarily gave that up when he joined the Marines.

This girl joined Rot-see? She gave up the right to wear that thingy when she joined, 'cause Rot-see requires you to dress a certain way. When I was in high school, in the early 70s, boys had long hair. Not in Rot-see. They gave up the right to have long hair when they joined. This ain't no different. She don't wanna take that thing off? Drop out.
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Amen, Alpo. When someone swears the oath to preserve and protect the Constitution, there is no "except......" offered or accepted. My last tour of Active Duty, back in the early 1980s, there was an Arabic Muslim who joined the Army Nation Guard unit that I was assigned to. This guy showed nothing but absolute loathing for the soldiers who served in the Unit. No soldier should be authorized to wear ANY visable article other than the official uniform.

I wore Army Green for many years, but I gotta admit - the Marine Corps Dress Blues are the classiest dress uniforms ever adopted. The Army always seemed to be searching for a better uniform. Still haven't found it. Bob, I call 'em "jarheads," too - but only with a smile on my face and respect in my heart.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i agree with that Alpo you join the military , it dont join you and your weird ways

its the military way or the highway ..
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I was in JROTC 27 years ago, and there is no way the Senior Army Instructors would have put up with that at all. You wore the uniform, you wore it completely, correctly, and proudly, or you were out. All three were decorated veterans of Vietnam, retired SFC, MSGT and LTC. Anyone attempting to make the uniform into a joke would have been dealt with, by them officially, and the Corps Of Cadets...unofficially.
    I guess those days are gone.