Thermold 20 Round AR15/M16 Magazines

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by gdmoody, Feb 17, 2011.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was ordering some Sig Sauer magazines from CDNN last week and while I was on their website I noticed they had had a special on 20 round AR15/M16 Thermold Magazines for $3.99 so I ordered three of them. What a piece of crap these things are. They do look great BUT that is about all. I loaded all three of them up and started shooting. The first one functioned great with all twenty rounds without a problem. I inserted the second one and after the first round, the bolt would not strip any more rounds into the chamber. I had to pull and release the charging handle to get them to feed. Then it would work for a few rounds and it would somehow strip two rounds(?????) from the magazine. The same thing happened with the third magazine, it would fire a couple then I would have to use the charging handle again. I loaded the first one up and stuck it in, the same thing happened again!

If you see a deal on these Thermold magazines, pass on it. It is another case of you get what you pay for. Here is a link to them so you can see what they are: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/zzzar220thmi.html
  2. broknaxl

broknaxl New Member

Great I just bought 10 of them !! :(
  3. zant

zant Active Member

I had same results-crappy mags...supposedly the canadian military uses them-get what you pay for...I'll trade them out.
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Juker's Technology Postulate:

New does not equal improved.

I tried some myself, and gave 'em away. Nothing works better in my AR than the Adventure Line mags used by the military in the 70s-80s. They were made in Parsons, Kansas. If you ever find any at a show, snatch 'em up.
  5. zant

zant Active Member

Yep,bought 10 for $2.99@.....garbage...my son took one apart,cleaned,trimmed,lubed...by golly it worked great for the first 10rds.....good trading material...if canuckistan uses them...pity the poor soldier.
  6. Infidel

Infidel New Member

About 6 months ago a friend of mine got this same deal at a gunshow.

Calls me up saying how great a deal he got...

I say, "shot 'em yet?"

Nope.

Don't bother. Thermold has been around for along time and I can't figure out why, because they are a POS. I remember seeing them back in the 80s as an offering for my HK91. Fortunately for me, I had a buddy to steer me straight before I spent my money.

Unfortunately for him, he didn't call and ask my advice.

He shot them(tried to anyway) and he is pissed.

If you want a poly mag, get a Magpul. I have 10 of them and have yet to had a single misfeed over about 2000 rounds in four different guns.
  7. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the Tapco mags? I just bought several (haven't shot them yet), but they seem to be top-notch.

8. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

The NEW MagPul PMAG is the way to go. Watch their test videos on You Tube. I have both the regular and the leveler both are excellent. They have covers standard with them as well. CDNN has them also at a good price. IMO these are the best. Try one Juker and let me know what you think, you might be pleasantly surprised?
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Thanks for the heads up GD I was getting ready to order some...PPHHHEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Nephew gave me one for free he picked up in the field while on ROTC manuveurs. 30 rounder. Wouldn't even lock into my AR! No wonder someone dropped it along the trail. Does say Canadian Military on it. Guess I'll throw it away now.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

PMAG fan here as well.:)
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have several of the Pmags and even more of the old US military 20 and 30 rounders. Never had any problems with them at all with either.