They shot holes in my steel again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by todd51, Sep 11, 2011.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

My momma would say, bad company corrupts good morals.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I did put up a sign after the first ordeal but if they don't read it or ignore what it says that is no help. I like the idea of putting a price sheet up.

Josh I am not fortunate enough to have the ability or the equipment to make my own so I have to buy. I have been taking down and storing in the outhouse the new Arntzen plates I got this spring but did not take down and store these handgun plates in the out house along with the rest (i'm a little lazy). The sad and disappointing part is I trusted this fellow enough that I gave him the combination to all the locks.

I talked to his mother this morning and she along with me could not believe he is responsible for this but I have a neighbor down there that witnessed the rifles laying on the shooting bench. My neighbors check up on the range when they hear gun fire. If the gate is up someone is in for a surprise but this time the gate was open meaning whoever was there new the combo and probably was there legitimately. They went on in to check any way and they new the fellow for years past. They did not notice the holes as they weren't looking for them. Will see how this turns out. It is possible but not likely that he is not responsible. Just need more info.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Next time I make some Ill grab some extra plates from the scrap yard and make you a couple todd. The ones I make for handguns are 6" steel pipe plugs about 1/2" thick used in the oilfield to cap off gas lines. They change them out when they get a little corroded, and they make perfect shooting targets. I get them free sometimes, just depends if im in the right place at the right time. But when i buy them fromt he scrap yard i still get them dirt cheep. most times less than a couple bucks each.

My rifle plates are from the same souce, excpet they are 18" gate valve plates. One I made is about 1.250 inches thick and still round I welded chain to it and hung it out at 250 yds. The other rifle plate is a 7/8" thick pipe plug thats been cut in half. It was 22" diameter at one time used for plugging 22" lines. Its all hardened steel. The rifle plates just get a little dent when a .30-06 smacks it. Thats about the most powerful thing we shoot over there so far.

The pistol plates I made at 50 and 25 yds are on mini rebar 'A frames' i welded up so they can swing. they hold up well to all pistol, even full power .44 mag, and rifle round up to .22 magnum, anything bigger n that gets shot at the big plates.

Like I said tho. Ill make you some. they only take me about 10 minutes to toss together and I got plenty of scrap rebar and the plates are only a phonecall away..
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

That is mighty kind Josh. I will pay any expenses incurred. Here are the plates they shot the holes in. I put the small ones away every time but got lazy hauling the eight inchers and leave them out. The picture was from back in the winter, well one of the past winters, ha.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

here are mine. from the top.. 250 yd gong, 200 yd gong, and the 50 and 25 yd plates.

Attached Files:

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And you aint gonna sweat shipping costs or any costs Todd. My thanks for the 1911 jigs and fixtures you sent me. Ill PM you for you addy when i get them done.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Very well Josh.

Got a call back from the mother of the fellow that was at the range. He feels real bad about what happened and is going to take the plates to the shop and have the holes welded up. The story he relates is that he went to the car to get some hand guns and the young fellow that he had brought with him shot the plates. When he came back he told him not to do that to those plates. Well there are few "holes" in that explanation but I am going to go with it and not continue to fret. Not that big an issue after I slept on it. Glad he was not the instigator of the plate shooting.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats good.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Sounds like the outcome will be OK and maybe it won't happen again.

I went to the local public range this morning. No one else there until a fellow showed up with his rifle. Now, this range uses wire to hang targets and clothes pins are a must to secure the target to the wire. I usually take a dozen as I did today. I had used eight and had four left for another target.
    I walked down the 100 yd line to replace a target and when I got back, the clothes pins were gone. The new arrival had got my pins without asking and had hung a target at the 50 yd stand. I don't like people stealing so since I already had my 50 yd target hung, I decided to move to the table beside him.

My Anschutz removed all four of my pins from his target and it hit the ground. He packed up and left without saying a word.

I would have given him pins and targets if he had asked but to just take them really rubbed me the wrong way.
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Too perfect! :lmao2:
  11. medalguy

medalguy Member

I guess he knew how to take a hint. :p
  12. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

The benifits of a fine target rifle.;):D

Some one at our range had the little ball disapear off the top of his truck antenna some years ago. The owner of the truck, lost the bet, and his little ball at 50 yrds. One shot, not much luck involved either....:D

Best regards, Kirk
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I've been meaning to make some steel of my own. We have a scrap yard not too far from the house and I can go over there and pick through every once in a while and find some good stuff. I need to go look for some 1" plate and make some 6-8 inch targets. Been wanting to do that for a couple years and just been too lazy to do it.

Sorry bout your targets, Todd.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Country. i used 1/2" rebar and the closest size electrical conduit coupler i could find to use as a hinge. Then welded the conduit to the plate with a flux core welder and then built the frames with the rebar. I literally have like 10 bucks in them and about 30 minutes of cutting and arranging for the forst one, 10 once i figured it out.

Im not usually one to draw blueprints. Im a fabricator. ;)
  15. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

Have you thought about installing a trail came to over look the shooting area. That way you would have proof of who is screwing the pooch.

I shoot steel weekly and know what kind of damage can happen. I only shoot lead bullets so no damage to the steel plates. I take a can of white paint with me to coat the targets so impact area can be seen a lot easier.