Thieme and schlegelmilch, rifle/shotgun combination

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by candaceo, May 30, 2006.

1. candaceo

candaceo New Member

I could use any help and information I can get....I have a german made rifle / shotgun combination firearm. It is inscribed "thieme and schlegelmilch" I believe it is a 9.3x72 / 16 ga. I would say it is in fair condition. The serial number is 22XXX. I also have a box of empty brass that belong to it. It belonged to my husband, who passed away several years ago, I don't know how he came to own it. Can you tell me how old it is and what it's value is?
    Thankyou in advance for you help.
    Sincerely, Candace
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The firearm you have is called a "drilling." These are usually highly engraved and have a value of from $1000 to $5000 and even more, depending on condition, rarity, and embellishment. I could give you a ballpark figure but would need some decent photos and a lot more information, including condition of the bores, whether it is fluid or Damascus steel, etc.
  3. candaceo

candaceo New Member

not sure what happened---i posted a reply but I don't see it here...so will try again. Thankyou for the information. what does the term 'drilling' refer to? I had to look at the gun again---you were right! it has a hunting scene with 2 dogs and birds on one side and the other side is a scene with 2 deer. and it does have lots of curliques and vines, flowery things and scroll-y engraving all the way around. The shotgun barrel is smooth inside, the rifle barrel has rifling ( the spiraling down the barrel?) I've not seen many damascus barrels but these don't look like what I remember. Any idea how to come up with an age for this gun? I have one last question, then I 'll quit bugging folks. the gun has an engraved 3/4" x 1" small metal rectangle with a smaller rectangular hole in the middle mounted on the side of the rifle barrel. It looks original. what do you think it's purpose is? to hold some kind of scope?
    Again, thankyou for you help and information. hopefully this reply will show up
    sincerely, candace
  4. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Drilling is from German, meaning "triplet." Triple barrel gun = Drilling.

Generally designed for "mixed bag" hunting. Also designed for the gentleman who wishes to have one gun for both bird and big-game hunting.
  5. lead

lead Well-Known Member

There is a double rifle by this same company for sale on Gunsamerica.com It is auction #976656117.
    You might look and compare it to what you have. The asking price of the double rifle is pretty high. That doesn't mean yours is going to priced that high. It does suggest that you might want to look for a good gun appraiser in your area and get a professional's opinion.
    Good luck.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Thats a pretty gun aint it Lead
  7. lead

lead Well-Known Member

It's pretty, a little out of my price range though. :rolleyes:
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

A point of information: "Drilling" is a misspelling of the correct term, "Dreiling", from the German "Drei", which is 'three', to us.
    A second note, the weapon described, unless I mis-read previous posts, has but two barrels, making it properly a 'Cape Gun', not a dreiling.
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

NOTE: I do not speak German.

I tried "dreiling" in babelfish.altavista.com to see what it translated to. It comes up with nothing.

"Drilling," on the other hand, comes up with a translation as "triplet."

I'll see if I can't find a German-English dictionary somewhere else to see what they say.

ADDED:
    http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cg...case=1&opterrors=0&optpro=0&style=&dlink=self
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  10. retiredlawman

retiredlawman New Member

I think what you have is a rifle probably made in Eau Claire, WI. by Mr. Schlegelmilch. They are pretty rare and may value upto $7000.00. The locale museum does not have one to my knowledge and if you care to donate it you could claim a tax break. If not I would suggest a locale sale as there are many collectors in the Eau Claire area who would love to have one. Best wishes!:)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The gun in question was made in Germany and not by Herman Schlegelmilch of Eau Claire.

And the museum does have an example of Herman's work, described as follows:

"Rifle marked by Herman Schlegelmilch, Eau Claire, 1860-1880.
    Stamped in top barrel near sight: "H. Schlegelmilch." Engraved script: "Eau Claire, Wis."
    Hand-made over-and-under rifle with walnut stock, nickel-plated brass-clad butt end and carved cheek pad with engraved metal inlays, including a wild boar (see Rifle detail: inlay). Metal pistol-grip double trigger, double hammers, open sights, and two wooden ramrods.
    Herman Schlegelmilch learned the trade of gunsmith as an apprentice in the Schlegelmilch Gun Factory, operated by his uncle in Suhl, Saxony, Germany. After several years as a journeyman gunsmith in Germany, Schlegelmilch immigrated to the United States in 1853, continuing his journeyman work in New York, Pennsylvania and Illinois. In 1860 he settled permanently in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where he established a gun shop and hardware store. Schlegelmilch is said to have made all of his guns by hand from start to finish, without the use of any parts made by outside manufacturers."