Thin Cases for 45ACP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Claudius Valarium, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    While setting primers in 45 ACP some cases. I noticed there were a few cases with thin walls. I measured .008 on these cases. And measuring other cases, I was finding .010 to .012 was more typical. These thin cases are being separated out. There are not too many of them.

On another note, I have once fired cases from a friend that was shooting with me last weekend. He was having slide jams on his 1911 from this new ammo. I had one or two slide jams in my 1911 with this ammo too (all of my reloads went through just fine). I measured the cases and the walls on this new ammo are .008 thick also.

I am wondering if thin walled cases lead to jams. To me, these thin walled cases are manufacturing issues and not are not from being fired too many times.

Thoughts?
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Let us know what the headstamp says, I hope you didn't get some aluminum cases reloaded by mistake!
  3. Texxut

Texxut Member

I've noticed a difference in brass also. I've not measured it, but can feel the difference when seating the bullet. I'll have to start noting the headstamp. it may warrant culling that brass.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It will indeed make a difference. I can usually tell when i resize them the thin ones resize way easy and I just toss em right then into the scrap box. If I miss any on the resize, I can also tell the thin ones when i bell the casemouth, again they are alot easier and dont 'bump' the die like a normal case does..
  5. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

No aluminum. Those would have gone into the scrap jug. It's all brass.

I have gone to the AFTE Headstamp Gallery (http://www.afte.org/ExamResources/gallery2/v/Headstamp-Gallery/) and found each of the following:

The box of 50 new ammo is RWS (Germany origin). The box says "Match Grade".

TZZ 87 and TZZ 89 - 3 count (Israeli origin).

R-P - 22 count (Remington-Peters).

REM-UMC - 1 count (Remington-Union Metallic Co.).

A-MERC - 1 count (American Ammunition).

RA 68 - 4 count (Remington Arms).

RA 63 - 1 count (Remington Arms).

Granted, other than the box of new ammo, 30+ cases out of 1000 isn't bad. And some of it may be older. There was a bunch more Remington that was fine, and maybe there was a bad batch in there somewhere.

From now on, I will expect the RWS brass to be thin and will stay away from it.

Thanks for the input.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Trash all the Amerc brass it all sucks..
  7. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

I noticed that there was a lot of Winchester brass. And, it was all pretty consistent and case walls were .011 to .012 thick.
  8. The Duke

The Duke New Member

If I were you, Id definately trash the TZZ 87 and TZZ 89 stuff...I had some TZZ brass given to me a few years ago...The primer were crimped in so tightly the decapper pin went straight through them...TZZt culled to the junk brass bucket..

I also had some problems with .45ACP R-P nickle plated brass...It seemed to lose its sizing after a reloading or two...After being resized, the bullet would drop into the bottom of the case and sit atop the powder...Maybe a bad batch of brass or one two many cycles...Anyhoo, it went to the junk bucket..Im now suspicious of any nickle plated Acp stuff...

Watch out for the brass plated steel Wolf cases...they will jam your sizing die up quick. I use a magnet so I can cull this stuff to the the junk bucket.
  9. garydude

garydude Member

+1

I also trash R-P. Its very poor in 45acp. Winchester is good stuff though.
  10. The Duke

The Duke New Member

+1 On the Winchester brass...
  11. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

Alll of this stuff is relegated to the scrap jug. I have been using a magnet to cull any suspicious stuff. I wouldn't reload Wolf and so don't buy it, but are they brass plating the steel now?