Things that howl in the night

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by unclearthur, Nov 18, 2007.

1. unclearthur

unclearthur New Member

I can see many of you shoot coyotes which are quite a pest in some areas. What do you do with them after you shoot them? Anything useful - food, pelts, ??? What do you do with the carcass?
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

We sell the whole critter to a fur buyer. Wish we had two in the aea to "compete" in price for the fur. Best reguards kirk
  3. unclearthur

unclearthur New Member

How much do you get per fur? What does he do with them? Do you have to skin them first or just give him the whole thing ? What do you do with the carcasss w/o the fur ?
  4. whip

whip Member

I skin them, flesh them, sew up any holes and finally stretch them. I either sell to the furbuyer that comes through town or I send them to auction. I sell from 20 to 40 each year. The price has run from $15 to $50 the last five or six years. Last year I averaged $40 but this year it doesn't sound like the price will be nearly as good. Maybe $25 a piece. It won't pay for my gas at that rate. But they are really challenging to hunt. Just when you think you have it all figured out they teach you a new trick.

The fur is currently used mostly for trimming jackets from what I have read.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

We do not skin them, if you have tried to yourself you might see why!!! Or should I say "smell" why! It varies from year to year, last year we recieved from $10-20 per. I have know idea what is done with the carcass, as it could be harboring any number of biological hazzars and many parasites I do not think they are used for much, perhaps the landfill. Best reguards, Kirk
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

something is fishy here..."unclearthur" is not reachable by PM,:confused: and there is no information in the personal profile.:eek: I smell an animal right activist here in our midst.:rolleyes: Just call it "hunters instinct" I wish those that post here would have to at least be private messageable. Those that are not, the membership should know about when they post. Otherwise this forum is going to be misused by those who wish to do us harm, with no recourse.:mad: Right now I feel like this is a one way street, only we don't know what direction it is going!
    Unclearathur if I am wrong about this I am truly sorry,:eek: if I am right you need to learn alot more lesson's about "life" in the real world of mother nature. ;) Good day who/what/ever you are.
  7. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Like 300H&H we do not skin them, just take them to our local fur buyer,The meat isn't good for much and I haven't even tried to eat one of them and believe me I will try to eat almost anything that has been fried broiled or grilled :eek:;). We normally get from $5.00 to $40.00 per coyote. catfish
  8. unclearthur

unclearthur New Member

Relax 300 H&H, I'm not an animal rights activist. LOL. I'd just like to shoot some coyotes. Looking for cheap advise !
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Down at Friendship during a Spring Shoot about 10 years ago or so, I saw a guy in the Rendezvous section have on a trade blanket a flintlock rifle that came with a NEAT coyote case......you lifted up the coyote's head and there was an opening, into which you put the rifle, and it went almost all the way to the tail, nice and slick!

The guy wanted 2 bills for just the case though....I've shot at a few coyotes in my days deer hunting, always hoping to get one so I could try and make a flintlock case like that one...but I'd have to get a lot better with my skinning, probably....

What's funny though, is that the guy whose property I hunt on now, has asked me in the past NOT to shoot coyotes, because he had a buddy live trapping them, and selling them to a large 2000 acre "Hunting Preserve" in Northern Indiana for $50 each...people then paid to hunt them with the hounds on Horseback, a lot of them from England where fox hunting is now illegal....

...BUT the dairy farmer on the OTHER side of the fence who used to let me hunt on his property until he started charging, used to tell me to kill ALL the !@%@%!@#'s, he said he saw them plenty of times running off with a fawn in their mouths, so he was sure they could kill any of his calves as well....

So I was ALWAYS in a quandry, when I hunted RIGHT over their fenceline....SHOOT or NO-SHOOT???:p
  10. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Coyotes are becoming a huge problem in my neck of the woods in Southwest Florida. 10 years ago you hardly heard them at night, now even in town it's not hard to hear a couple howling as a siren screams in the night. I'm not aware of anyone in the area buying pelts but would sure like to know. Most of the people I know keep a couple of pelts or even get one mounted for their trophy room. Other than that most are left in the field or buried. Talking with some of the field biologists in the area they concede that the coyote is probably here to stay, they adapt to habitat very easily and can survive a 70% kill rate. Some study's have even indicated that as long as there are abundant food supplies hard kills even into the 80% range often spurs accelerated breeding cycles among them. So I laugh at the people who think hunting them heavily is going to eradicate them. Best we can do is hold them to a respectable level.

Pol, you've given me ideas. I love woodworking and have made a couple of cases. Maybe I'll incorporate a pelt in the next one. They truly are beautiful animal as well as worthy adversaries. I would love a way to use the pelt as opposed to just burying them. Guess I'll have to bone up on my tanning skills

Jake
  11. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Here "up north" they are not worth much untill the cold weather sets in and their pelts thicken up. That's when the fur buyers will buy them, as their fur is at it's best. Best reguards Kirk