Think I found an AR i like. your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by time2shoot, Sep 25, 2012.

1. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

DPMS has one they call the sportatical.
    It is in my price range at under 600.
    It has a 6 position stock, tack rail and another at the end of the hand guard.
    chamberd for the 5.56. any thoughts on this.
    Has anyone owened or owens a DPMS from panther arms?
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a DPMS with carry handle and adjustable stock. Haven't shot it much, but no issues here. I think DPMS makes a decent AR. I would buy another.
  3. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

Thanks jedwil. Hows that citadel working for ya.
  4. jedwil

Great and got the Citadel 1911 .22LR.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

DPMS is a solid company, I use their parts for my AR's. I would think that would do you well with that one.

Their prices are very good and quality is up to par IMO
  6. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

thanks guys.
  7. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

i still like the del ton. but it's kind of a choice thing and that's why more than one maker is around.
  8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

In that price range many people have reported that the Smith & Wesson M&P 15's have performed very well for them. Before you make a decision on how you want to proceed, you should give the S & W's a look.

I have no personal experience with the DPMS brand as I prefer Rock River Arms AR's, but they are not a well thought of brand at the websites directed specifically at AR ownership & issues.
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Doesn't the Sportical have a "pencil" barrel? I think I considered it before I bought my Rock River but wanted a HB and the match trigger for just a few dollars more, at the time....

If so it will have less weight and be handy up close and personal ... if I remember right when it first came out it was supposed to be able to do double duty as a Sporter and an economical "Trunk Carbine" for LEOs...

But DPMS makes good stuff, never owned one but would, always figured they are at least as good as Bushmasters, maybe not as good as LMTs or custom Baers or Wilsons, but definitely a step up from the Olympic I ALMOST bought...IMO

Probably as good as the Rocks too, but like Snake I am a little biased, LOL
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The Sportical is missing some features that are on other guns in the same price range. Forward assist, dust cover, maybe some other stuff.

It's probably a fine gun, but you can build a better one for the same money. And building is easy.
  11. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I would not recommend that one based on it having an extruded aluminum upper receiver rather than a forged receiver and the FACT that a much better AR can be had for about the same money.

I bought one of those from a friend hard up for some cash one day. I paid him $400 and gave it my wife. She didn't even like it, said it felt cheap. But she is used to shooting her M1A and my AR's. I didn't care for it all either.

Have a look at PSA (Palmetto State Armory) kits or a Smith & Wesson Sport, MUCH more gun for the money over the Sporticle.

All the PSA kits are out of stock, but I hear the wait is about 3 weeks.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html

The S&W website showing the Sport. Suggested retail shown is $739 but wait, see the last link below.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

A review of the S&W Sport.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

Here's one for $629, check your local shops they might have one too.
    http://www.impactguns.com/sw-model-mp15-sport-811036-022188145663.aspx
  12. GunHugger

13. jedwil

Dale, if you want to be a purist and go with "the Ultimate" go over to the *********** and be intimidated and get mixed info. Your choice. The DPMS will be a good choice, IMO, without a lot of BS.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  14. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

thanks for the help guys.
    I will take all info when looking into it.
    again thanks.
  15. GunHugger

I will guarantee you that you will NOT get mixed info over at ************** when you ask about the DPMS Sporticle.
  16. jedwil

I am not getting into a peeing match about AR's. I know the attitudes of some AR folks.........DPMS works for me.
  17. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

If YOU like it then buy it.
  18. GunHugger

Pissing match?

Compare materials and specs between the DPMS Sporticle and the PSA or the S&W Sport AR's, let me know what you think.

I'm just saying that for about the same money better AR's can be found.

And...I don't give a rats butt what anyone buys or likes. I'm giving my opinion as are you so there's no need to pull the Pissing match card here.:D
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The funny thing about the "AR" experts over at ************** is that they all think that despite sitting down in their mother's basement they are all tier 1, super secret squirrel, highspeed low-drag, special combat operators who can only survive the coming calmity if they spend $3,000+ on an Tier-1 AR with every accessory available attached to it. ONLY 100% mil-spec rifles of the finest brands are acceptable for use. Anything less and you're considered a scumbag loser who will certainly die during the first 15-minutes of SHTF because of AR failure. It's all very comical. :p

That said, I still went ahead and got my Tier 2 $800 Rock River Arms AR-15 and have been thoroughly thrilled with it. It works like a champ and is awesomely accurate.

Even funnier are the clowns over at the ****************. They make the goofballs at ************* look like pikers. :D
  20. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

This is so the truth. Gave up on the site many years ago. While these days they have some good info there are still far to many couch potato seals there to make it enjoyable.