Think of buying AR need input

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by ryan42, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Im thinking of buying an AR chambered in .223.Basically being using for target practice.Plinking and personal defence in case blank hits the fan.What do you all think?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Nothing wrong with an AR, but my first question to you would be " what do you have now for personal defense?"
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Glock 21 45acp I dont have a rifle
  4. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Hey ryan, regarding the AR.223, I love mine!
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

great thanks american.whats the range on them.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Since you've already got a reliable close quarters firearms in the Glock and thats all, then an AR would be a good choice for your next gun. Effective range for a standard AR with no or basic optics is around 500 yards. With optics and practice, 800 yards shots are attainable for most shooters. With practice, the 223 can still hit targets at 1000, but it's not effective on a performance level much past 800 yards IMO. It's plenty effective and capable for a SHTF scenario.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

RRA is my preferred brad. Or you could build one for under $800...
  8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Slick guns has a kit for $400, buy a stripped lower for $100. Next thing you know, you have an ar.
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

thanks woolyworm
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

There are small differences but you will find there is no consensus which brand is the best. It is all your personal flavor. I bought an Olympic Arms (local brand) and it is a HOOT, but do not get to shoot it often. Not even properly sighted in yet (getting close but really need to invest in a decent optics as I bought a cheap floor model at the show for about $40 with a red dot too :D).
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Plus 1 on the Oly Arms. I have one in 223 and another upper in 7.62x39. They are well made and accurate. They once had a bad rep, but they really got it together and turn out quality now. 16" SS bull barrel will drive nails at 200yds.:)
  12. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Buy it chambered in 5.56, and you can ALSO shoot .223 in it. IF you buy it in .223, don't try to shoot 5.56 thru it.
  13. Juker

Juker New Member

+1 on that. The AR is a time-tested design, they're reliable, they have terrific options, and they're just plain fun to shoot. Lower recoil and higher capacity mags than most rifles. Warning: They're addictive and I strongly advise buying ammo in bulk. You can often find Remington .223 on sale at Dick's for $6.99/20 rounds, and after a few seconds on the range you're thinking, "Wow, there went seven bucks." :D

AR prices seem to have gone down a bit recently, so it's a good time to buy one. A few of us here have a Stag; I absolutely love mine. There are plenty of reliable manufacturers now, giving you the option of shopping price.

I think two of the best improvements made to this platform in recent years are the adjustable butt stock, and elimination of the carrying handle as an option (called a 'flat top receiver'). When I was an infantryman in the Army, carrying one's M16 by the carrying handle would invariably lead to one being put in the front lean & rest position. I never used the carrying handle then, so my AR is a flat top.

I also remember running the bayonet assault course at Fort Benning, thrusting and then butt-stroking the first swinging dummy, hitting the metal frame it was suspended from, and watching the butt of my M16 disintegrate. The drill sergeant screamed at me to drive on, so I finished running the course with 2/3 of a rifle. :D
  14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I put one together recently using a Armalite stripped lower I got at my local gun store and then ordered all the other parts online using Rock River Arms as a source.

I'm very happy with the way it turned out and am very pleased by how accurate the 16" A4 mid-lenght is. It hasn't missed a beat since I got it. :cool:

ETA: Mine came to $815 with A2 front sights, a folding Magpul rear sight and one 30-round magazine. Optics are optional of course.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  15. CharlieSW

CharlieSW New Member

One of my buddies says that an AR is a Barbie for guys -- you can dress it up any way you want !
  16. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    You can't go wrong with an AR as a plinking gun. For a SHTF scenario, ammo in the US will be relatively easy to find, especially if you stock up before hand.

+2 on the 5.56 chambering.
  17. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

A good AR is good for all the above mentioned... :D
    But as posted above, get you one chambered in 5.56 so you can shoot both 5.56 and .223 Rem ammo.
  18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

DON'T BUY a .223 only. 5.56 or 223 wylde chamber only. If cost is to be kept low and still good qualityn PSA or S&W M&P15 sport. My sport will easiely shoot 1" to 1 1/4" groups with 55gr ar223 ammo from wally world. and 2" to 2 1/2" with imi m855. Wolf 75gr bthp will go 3/4" all at 100 yards. Buy a RRA scope mont. I added a rra gas block and freefloat tube. Used parts
    My sport-[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  19. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

20. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member