1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Thinkin' about moving - Miss, Ala, FL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackhawk Dave, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

I live in the Dallas area, but thinking of moving to south Mississippi, Alabama, or north/central Florida. I'm retired, wife is getting tired and looking at retiring, and looking for something warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer (dallas has been hitting 110 plus in the summer and the cold just plain hurts). We are in real estate, so we can move licenses.

Any suggestions?
  2. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

well South Dakota is out.
    How about KS
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you don't like the heat in Dallas, you won't like the heat, and humitidy, in any other southern state. Think about the Livingston, TX area. Not as cold as Dallas, a lot less crime, but it still gets hot in the summer.
  4. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

I can handle the humidity. Used to live in Houston. But wife wants near a nice beach, not Galveston.
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Try new mexico
  6. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

US Virgen Islands
    not to hot. It's a dry heat.
    And your sarounded by beaches
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Then take a look into South Central Mississippi. MS is probably the poorest state in the union, thus lower prices on real estate. A little hilly, not to far form major beaches, great hunting, and fishing. Beautiful wooded land, with white sand creeks, and streams. The population isn't large, and I even know of a town there that don't even have a police force! They can't affored a car, a person, and the fuel!
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

What do you like to do? Do you like to fish much?
  9. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Summer heat here is brutal. Hot and humid. The past 2 winters have seen snow but that is fairly rare. Gulf Coast area is good too but deal with hurricanes. Tornadoes are common here but I like it so I stay.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Florida gets really humid in the summer. I have an aunt and uncle that used to live there in southern FL.
  11. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Central Florida coast humid and wet in summer nice in winter nice beaches storms but who doesn't and at least we know they are comming!!
  12. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

The actual beach (water) in Mississippi is nasty.

But the Alabama beach is nice.

You'd be OK up a few miles from the beach to avoid hurricanes near the Alabama line in either state. But try to get rural land and avoid big cities.
  13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

All around temperate climate would have to go to south carolina. my two choices though would be kingsland georgia or sebastian florida. both nice areas and good beaches. good hunting and or ranges nearby. plus pretty good cultural areas nearby
  14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Dave, warmer winter/cooler summer means 2 homes. How about the mountain areas of SC, esatern lower TN and lower WNC. Summers are milder , winter is much drier so the cold you have does not hurt nearly as much. I moved from south florida up to mid WNC and now hate going back. To darn much humidity just plan hurts or makes time there misreable, cold or hot.
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Having retired to central FL., I have spent the past 15 yrs. putting up with rude, cheap, self-absorbed, liberal Canadians and New Yorkers. I am giving it another shot by moving inland to a small town that isn't even on the map. The people I have met there seem friendly and caring and the fishing is great. In any case, we leave FL. about the first of June and come back in Oct. Summers here are brutal.